closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor black bay bezel

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Tudor black bay bezel

Having had the black bay blue for some months now and still loving it, I've only just noticed that the bezel if pushed down has a spring to it. Just wondered if it's supposed to be like this - I assume so.
    Isn't it funny though, after having a watch for some time you notice something new about it months later.
    Anyone else had anything similar?

Apprentice
    I noticed this on my BBR after about a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Do Tudor offer a bezel insert replacement a la Rolex? E.g. Could you buy a BBR and switch to a BBB bezel at cost?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. Totally normal with the bezel.

Chris

Craftsman
    I've heard a few people mention about the bezel issues on the BB - my 6 year old Oris TT1 is rock solid as it was on day one, so it's a little concerning?

Surely it's spring loaded to aid in its rotation, it's not a fault it's a feature.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyRoses View Post
    I've heard a few people mention about the bezel issues on the BB - my 6 year old Oris TT1 is rock solid as it was on day one, so it's a little concerning?
    Complete tosh, it's a design feature.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by S Works View Post
    Do Tudor offer a bezel insert replacement a la Rolex? E.g. Could you buy a BBR and switch to a BBB bezel at cost?

Anyone know the answer to this?

Master
    Anyone know the answer to this?
    They're different watches so I'm almost 100% sure the answer is no. It's not like the old gmt2 where the versions differed ONLY in the insert.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    They're different watches so I'm almost 100% sure the answer is no. It's not like the old gmt2 where the versions differed ONLY in the insert.
    I find that very strange. How are the blue, black and red different in respect of the bezel and insert housing?

If you damage the red insert, why can't they fit a new blue or black one?

Off to do some research...

Master
    So aside from the bezel colour and crown tube colour (and assuming the dial print and plots are either the same or very similar), it would appear to me that the Black and Red are nigh-on the same. Meaning that if a bezel swap were to be readily available, the premium on the black could be easily offset by purchasing a red and modding with a very low-cost change. I'm tempted!

So aside from the bezel colour and crown tube colour (and assuming the dial print and plots are either the same or very similar), it would appear to me that the Black and Red are nigh-on the same. Meaning that if a bezel swap were to be readily available, the premium on the black could be easily offset by purchasing a red and modding with a very low-cost change. I'm tempted!
    The bezels' size/construction are the same across the 41mm models, because they fit to identical cases.

You may be tempted to mod but where are you going to get the parts? Rolex certainly won't do the job. And as you say you would need to have the crown tubes match.

Quote Originally Posted by asi17 View Post
    Having had the black bay blue for some months now and still loving it, I've only just noticed that the bezel if pushed down has a spring to it. Just wondered if it's supposed to be like this - I assume so.
    Isn't it funny though, after having a watch for some time you notice something new about it months later.
    Anyone else had anything similar?
    It is a deliberate design feature and one you will find on current Rolex dive watches as well. Can't speak to older models I am not familiar with however!

The idea behind it is that if you actually use these watches for what they were intended and accumulate sand/debris under that moving part it is easier to clear that muck whilst compressing and rotating the bezel at the same time (in clean water).

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    It is a deliberate design feature and one you will find on current Rolex dive watches as well. Can't speak to older models I am not familiar with however!

The idea behind it is that if you actually use these watches for what they were intended and accumulate sand/debris under that moving part it is easier to clear that muck whilst compressing and rotating the bezel at the same time (in clean water).
    I was pretty sure it was meant to be like that, just wondered why. What you say above seems about right. The bezel swaps are an interesting thought, but probably more trouble and money than its worth.

Master
    I find that very strange. How are the blue, black and red different in respect of the bezel and insert housing?

If you damage the red insert, why can't they fit a new blue or black one?

Off to do some research...
    Not differnet size/construction, but they're different models from the Rolex perspective. Hence, you're out of luck. Rolex doesn't call a datejust with a white dial a "DJ White". It's just a datejust and that's why Rolex will swap dials for you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    The bezels' size/construction are the same across the 41mm models, because they fit to identical cases.

You may be tempted to mod but where are you going to get the parts? Rolex certainly won't do the job. And as you say you would need to have the crown tubes match.
    So if I take my Tudor watch to Rolex or a Tudor shop and request that they replace it with a black bezel, they won't. Seems rather a shame given they will apparently for a GMT II costing twice as much.

As for the crown tube, the red tube and red accent on the bezel pip triangle might make a rather fetching detail combo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Not differnet size/construction, but they're different models from the Rolex perspective. Hence, you're out of luck. Rolex doesn't call a datejust with a white dial a "DJ White". It's just a datejust and that's why Rolex will swap dials for you.
    Understood completely, but there is nothing inherently special about either which says one shouldn't. As per my note above, I find it rather shortsighted that a customer wouldn't be extended the same level of service for a BB as they'd get for a GMT.

So if I take my Tudor watch to Rolex or a Tudor shop and request that they replace it with a black bezel, they won't. Seems rather a shame given they will apparently for a GMT II costing twice as much.
    As per my note above, I find it rather shortsighted that a customer wouldn't be extended the same level of service for a BB as they'd get for a GMT.
    It isn't about a 'level of service' or what things cost. Things have simply changed.

The GMT II models they will exchange bezels on are the older pieces they discontinued 12 years ago. As I'm sure you know, the bezel inserts on those (black, red/black, blue/red) were all anodized aluminum and similar or the same in cost.
    These days if you want GMT II (with ceramic bezel) you're talking £6k for black, £7k for black/blue, £25k for red/blue(!).
    Why wouldn't Rolex swap a bezel on a ceramic GMT if a customer were willing to pay for it?
    Why would they not do it for a Rolex owner but they should do it for a Tudor owner? Shouldn't there be some consistency?

I think it is obvious Rolex want to sell watches in the configurations they have chosen to design and release. I'd imagine the same rules go for Tudor. I doubt they want a black bay out there with a black bezel and red crown tube?

You could argue it is not as 'customer friendly' but you could argue that it is if it protects the integrity/authenticity of certain models. And from a business point of view I don't think it is "shortsighted" at all that if a customer wants the look of a BBB and a BBR that means two purchases...
    Last edited by Dent99; 9th April 2017 at 18:34.

Master
    Understood completely, but there is nothing inherently special about either which says one shouldn't. As per my note above, I find it rather shortsighted that a customer wouldn't be extended the same level of service for a BB as they'd get for a GMT.
    It's just the way that it is, unfortunately. I've never seen a black bay bezel for sale on the forums, so Rolex seems pretty tightfisted with them.

Most other brands are trending this way too, so it's not a Rolex issue.

Master
    Dent, JP Chestnut... I can't disagree with your points or logic (from the manufacturers point of view). Let's see how long until we see these mods appear!

I called Rolex St James some time ago about swapping the bezel on a BB Blue to a Black bezel. They politely told me they wouldn't perform the swap or source the part as each watch had an individual reference relating to it, as such the bezels could not be swapped from one to the other. Seemed a bit silly to me but there you go.

Why not give an AD a call to clarify? I own a ETA BBB but would love to try a red bezel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Why not give an AD a call to clarify? I own a ETA BBB but would love to try a red bezel.
    Sounds like this has been dead-ended already by Rolex (see above).

Sounds like this has been dead-ended already by Rolex (see above).
    Missed that post. Cheers

Journeyman
    I had a BBR that I dented the edge of the bezel on a steel door frame. It wasn't too bad but it bugged me. I called one of the Tudor stockists in Meadowhall and they said they could get a replacement for about £240, I assume that comes with the insert. Would it be an easy thing to change?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sco77w View Post
    I had a BBR that I dented the edge of the bezel on a steel door frame. It wasn't too bad but it bugged me. I called one of the Tudor stockists in Meadowhall and they said they could get a replacement for about £240, I assume that comes with the insert. Would it be an easy thing to change?

Well I tried to order one today just to be told I had been mis-informed. They want the watch so they can send it off, they also said to expect to have it serviced too with it getting a knock. they didn't have an answer when I said I didn't want to pay Rolex to service an ETA movement that can be serviced by any watch maker / tech worth his salt.

Looks like it will be staying red and dented.