closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Time setting

Master

Time setting

Just awondering what people set their mechanical watches to, how often reset and whether allowance is made for daily gain (or loss)

I generally use either the 'pips' on R4 or my phone display. I probably reset every fourth or fifth day. As my Explorer 2 seems to gain 3-4 secs per day I usually set it about 7-10 seconds slow by stopping the movement and counting. I do wonder if I'm 'overusing' the crown.

Master
    I set mine against my atomic g shock every Sunday evening. It's become a bit of a ritual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got one of those digital 'atomic' regulated clocks (cheap as chips)

Sure there are loads on Amazon.

Al

Grand Master
    I use a quartz Omega that runs a few seconds/month fast. I ought to get a clock that corrects itself from the atomic clock but I never think to get one. I also have a Casio digital that seems to run exactly right.

I also have a link to a time website, I use that sometimes.

Strongly advise against using the time readout from phone or computer clock if you're checking anything.

Paul

I set mine using the Emerald Time app on an Iphone, +/- 100 milliseconds is good enough for me. I usually wear a watch for a couple of weeks in rotation, so I set them either fast or slow enough to be @ spot on after a week and then run out the other way. The worst is 6 or 7 secs slow per day., so it's never a minute wrong which is good enough. If I'm at my iMac when setting I just use the clock on that, I've checked it and it's spot on.
    Last edited by magirus; 13th October 2017 at 18:45.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Got one of those digital 'atomic' regulated clocks (cheap as chips)

Sure there are loads on Amazon.

Al
    I've still got the one I bought in about 1984.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Just awondering what people set their mechanical watches to, how often reset and whether allowance is made for daily gain (or loss)

I generally use either the 'pips' on R4 or my phone display. I probably reset every fourth or fifth day. As my Explorer 2 seems to gain 3-4 secs per day I usually set it about 7-10 seconds slow by stopping the movement and counting. I do wonder if I'm 'overusing' the crown.
    Just make sure that they're from an analogue and not a digital receiver.

I generally use my RC alarm clock.

Master
    I use time.is

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Citizen radio controlled eco drive watch.
    Occasionally time.is website.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I use a radio-controlled ProTrek 2500 to set my watches. As I rarely wear any watch for more than a week at a time (and none of my watches lose/gain by more than 2-3 seconds a day) I never need to reset.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I set mine using the Emerald Time app on an Iphone, +/- 100 milliseconds is good enough for me. I usually wear a watch for a couple of weeks in rotation, so I set them either fast or slow enough to be @ spot on after a week and then run out the other way. The worst is 6 or 7 secs slow per day., so it's never a minute wrong which is good enough. If I'm at my iMac when setting I just use the clock on that, I've checked it and it's spot on.
    I use exactly the same app.

It's great for me because I travel so much, so if I am not taking a GMT watch the app always provides me with the correct time.

Craftsman
    I’ve got a digital clock in the kitchen which also shows outside temperature. It’s accurate enough for me to set my watches by. I check them against it by habit on a morning. I usually set my Seiko 009 2 minutes fast and it takes a couple of weeks to be a minute slow. I set my Omega PO exactly as it is +/-1 second per day.
    More to the point, I absolutely HAVE to make sure that the minute hand hits the minute indices at exactly the same time the second hand hits 12. I can’t stand seeing the second hand running out of sync with the minute hand. Each watch has to be set differently to get this to happen. It can be frustrating and satisfying in equal measures!

Craftsman
    I bought a HITO Atomic Bedside Clock to set mine too. Wish I hadn't bothered as it highlighted to me that my cherished IWC was ticking +7 secs a day and hence is now in with them being regulated.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Strongly advise against using the time readout from phone or computer clock if you're checking anything.

Paul
    why? my computer syncs with time servers and I am sure it is accurate to a second.

Master
    I forgot to mention, how good is the one at the top of this page? Or is that 'Fight Club' rules

I set mine by asking my wife 'what time is it?' and that is generally accurate enough

The clock on the tele that shows up when you change channels. Near enough for me, not going to die in a ditch about a few seconds here and there and for non hacking watches, to the nearest minute, which can be anything up to 20 secs either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    why? my computer syncs with time servers and I am sure it is accurate to a second.
    My computers hit the radio 'pips' dead on, but then most of the clocks we've got around are radio controlled too.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I use my phone, and I usually only reset a watch due to not wearing it for a while. Dont really notice when a watch has gained or lost a few seconds over the week

I use the clock on my phone or iPads Watchville app. Turns out that it shows the exact same time as "time.is", the time on my phone/iPad and the time on my G-Shock.

I set the watch when I pick it up to wear and on the rare occasion that I ever wear the same watch for more than a week I will reset the time if it ends up more than a minute fast.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Time calibrator on android or time.is

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    If you're sure about it that's fine........ I stick to simpler things that I understand. Is your computer accurate to the second all day or does it synch once every 24 hrs?...... if so it wouldn't be any good for the work I do, would it? When you're trying to regulate a freshly serviced watch the last thing you want is to be mislead by erroneous time sources, been there and done that. To quote the famous Who song, 'Won't get fooled again'

Paul

I wear a different watch every day or two, rarely wear anything (other than a Rolex Exp2) more than that and if it's a second or a few out I neither notice nor care.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I use time.is

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Same as that.

I use the Watchville app.

Simon

I used to use www.time.is, but now I just use an atomic G -Shock.

D

Journeyman
    I generally use the clock on my Mac

Time setting

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Is your computer accurate to the second all day or does it synch once every 24 hrs?
    Paul

That's where the Emerald Sequioa app is actually pretty good.

As well as sync'ing with Network Time Protocol (NTP) on a periodic basis you can also force a synchronisation.

It then tells you the offset between the iPad/iPhone time and NTP, so you know the accuracy of the devices internal clock (i.e. your computer's time).

I have found the app to be as accurate as needed, wherever in the world I've used it.

Still miss the old Speaking Clock though!

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Just make sure that they're from an analogue and not a digital receiver.
    This is a good point. Quite a delay on DAB radio.

Craftsman
    Nixie clock with GPS module. Because the clocks in the GPS satellites are as good as it gets without me buying my own atomic clock.

Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    Nixie clock with GPS module. Because the clocks in the GPS satellites are as good as it gets without me buying my own atomic clock.

You're a very bad person.....I had never seen these before but have now spent way too long looking at their website.

Interested to hear of your experience in building the kit.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You can buy them built up. At a price

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    You can buy them built up. At a price
    Many thanks - I'll keep a look out.

Interestingly after posting the message below I then had a Live Chat with one of their engineers (Pete - who may well have been the owner). Lots of useful info passed regarding options, etc.

Will do a bit more research but might well put one of the kits on the Christmas list.....

Craftsman
    Worth getting, they are really configurable. From how it displays and cycles, to back light colours etc. You can literally customise everything.

The kit was really easy, just a few bits of soldering as most of the circuit is surfaceasy mount and pre done.

Blog Entries
    Set my mechanical watches by my Bulova Precisionist. Gave up checking that one!

Very nice. I’m now looking for one for work!

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone

Master
    Greenwich Mean Time website!

Craftsman

That's nice. I'll have to build one of these too sometime. For now I've got a prebuilt one

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Greenwich Mean Time website!
    Any idea where they get the time from?

Craftsman
    The nixie neon clock is now on the Christmas list :)

Master
    That's a bl**dy good question. Never thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Any idea where they get the time from?

Apprentice
    I set mine using the Atomic Clock app and check each one every day I wear it to verify how accurate they are. I re-set about once a week depending on how accurate they are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    That's a bl**dy good question. Never thought about it.
    Wherever it is, it probably leads back to NPL (link), or a similar source: "As the UK's home of precise time and frequency measurement, NPL offers a range of services that provide access to a reliable and trusted source of time..."

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I forgot to mention, how good is the one at the top of this page?
    The clock in the TZ-UK banner just uses the local time on your PC, so it will be as accurate (or inaccurate) as your PC's clock.

I use Time.is to set my watches.

I'm either at home or away for a month or so at a time, and at the moment I only take the one watch with me. This means that I like to reset the watches once they are 30-45 seconds out, and this equates to between once a week to 10 days. I don't need to set a reminder or anything, it's just roughly when I think of doing it.

I put mine one and wind them to the nearest clock.

(If my wife isn't near and then I shout 'what's the time?' )

I put it on, look at the nearest clock, think 'that'll do' and think about it no more.