closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heinnie Haynes Knife Sale

Heinnie Haynes Knife Sale

Had an email earlier saying that due to pending legislation banning postal delivery of knives they're having a stock clearance. There does appear to be some bargains on the site (there always is) so it might be worth a look, although it appears to be more obscure models. I've not had anything from Bushcraft Store yet, but perhaps they don't rely so heavily on online sales.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 8th October 2017 at 10:53.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Had an email earlier saying that due to pending legislation banning postal delivery of knives they're having a stock clearance. There does appear to be a few bargains on the site (there always is) so it might be worth a look, although it appears to be more obscure models. I've not had anything from Bushcraft Store yet, but perhaps they don't rely so heavily on online sales.
    Thank you for the heads up.

Just read my email

Did not realise that was going to happen regarding posting, that is going to be a issue for a few businesses.

Might have to get give Framar knives some more business, before it effects them.
    Last edited by pastrana72; 8th October 2017 at 10:39.

I hope it doesn't happen but if it does I hope they'll reduce the price of their Byrd Tern, which always appears overpriced compared to the rest of the range.

More nanny state crap. I guess “mail order” will need to be to local post offices with collection on producing ID.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    More nanny state crap. I guess “mail order” will need to be to local post offices with collection on producing ID.
    Indeed, more statism. I believe that the plan is to require deliveries to be licensed shops, not Post Offices.

Of course that will only apply to British companies as you’ll still be able to purchase abroad as and when you want. As will be your children.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

You can order online but will need to go the retailer with proof of age and ID.

The same retailer at its business premises or an appointed agent? My money would be on a sensible outcome involving the latter.

^It would appear to be from the retailer's premises. Here's the link: https://www.heinnie.com/blog/heinnie...-announcement/

The same retailer at its business premises or an appointed agent? My money would be on a sensible outcome involving the latter.
    That's to be decided in the consultation and is up in the air at the moment.

^It would appear to be from the retailer's premises. Here's the link: https://www.heinnie.com/blog/heinnie...-announcement/
    The Home Office press release doesn’t actually say that.

There does appear to be some bargains on the site...
    Do you have any particular recommendations?

I currently have a Victorinox CyberTool which I bought about fifteen years ago and gets used most days despite sitting on my desk due to its relative weight and bulk.

Ideally I would like to augment it with a small lightweight knife (UK carry or 'UK Friendly Carry' as their website puts it) that I can slip into my pocket and do the usual everyday stuff such as opening parcels, cutting tape/twine etc, without having to worry too much about losing the edge on the blade.

Another case of banning something that is already dealt with by enacted laws, except those laws are not enforced.

It's illegal to sell most knives to under 18s, and their test purchases have shown who is selling to under 18s...so punish the culprits! Don't just go and make more laws to deal with the already-under enforced ones.

Complete waste of public money.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post

I currently have a Victorinox CyberTool which I bought about fifteen years ago and gets used most days despite sitting on my desk due to its relative weight and bulk.

Ideally I would like to augment it with a small lightweight knife (UK carry or 'UK Friendly Carry' as their website puts it) that I can slip into my pocket and do the usual everyday stuff such as opening parcels, cutting tape/twine etc, without having to worry too much about losing the edge on the blade.
    Depends on your budget but my personal favourites are (in ascending order) the Byrd Tern, Boker Plus XS and Spyderco UKPK. They fit in the Ł40 - Ł80 price range but aren't currently on their clearance list.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 8th October 2017 at 15:20.

What's your budget?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Another case of banning something that is already dealt with by enacted laws, except those laws are not enforced.

It's illegal to sell most knives to under 18s, and their test purchases have shown who is selling to under 18s...so punish the culprits! Don't just go and make more laws to deal with the already-under enforced ones.

Complete waste of public money.
    Of course. It is a classic example of (a) being seen to do something (and thus creating more meddlesome and intrusive laws to be enforced) and (b) pandering to a minority that desires power-by-state-proxy. In the end, only those people who are law abiding will be inconvenienced or occasionally unwittingly criminalised.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Of course. It is a classic example of (a) being seen to do something (and thus creating more meddlesome and intrusive laws to be enforced) and (b) pandering to a minority that desires power-by-state-proxy. In the end, only those people who are law abiding will be inconvenienced or occasionally unwittingly criminalised.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    What's your budget?
    Depends on your budget...
    Value for money is more important than absolute price in this particular case. That said it will only be an occasional use tool, so not looking to spend more than is necessary.

The Boker Plus XS certainly looks interesting.

...but aren't currently on their clearance list.
    Worth hanging on?

^ Probably not. It's one of their popular sellers so they can still move them on at retail. Most of the clearance stuff is more obscure and they're clearing remaining stock, but it's always worth checking here: https://www.heinnie.com/clearance

Value for money is more important than absolute price in this particular case.
    If you want great VFM then have a look at Great Eastern Cutlery/Tidioute/Northfield (same company, different materials and finishes) - they make old school slipjoints the old fashioned way, but to a very high level of quality.

I've just bought a Victorinox Bantam Alox to replace an aged Opinel 5 as my EDC. Delightfully thin and light, but takes a good edge and the multitool thing is handy.

https://www.heinnie.com/victorinox-bantam-silver-alox

Blog Entries
    Does anyone have any real inclination as to when the doorstep deliveries will cease ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    When you say the retailer in this case Heinnie Haynes? I would of thought wherever heinnie send the goods to e.g the post office or a shop within the buyers vicinity would be the place to present yourself with ID or proof??

^ There's a govt consultation due.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Does anyone have any real inclination as to when the doorstep deliveries will cease ?

Who knows, but it makes for a good excuse to reduce some items and try to get rid of stock that's not moving :) (sorry, just the cynic in me)

When you say the retailer in this case Heinnie Haynes? I would of thought wherever heinnie send the goods to e.g the post office or a shop within the buyers vicinity would be the place to present yourself with ID or proof??

In theory that is what happens but in reality, given how little they make per individual item, they might decide it's just not worth the bother.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    In theory that is what happens but in reality, given how little they make per individual item, they might decide it's just not worth the bother.
    So they being heinnie end up folding if this legislation goes through?

So they being heinnie end up folding if this legislation goes through?

I meant the post office or retailer - theymight just decide that it's too much hassle of accidentally supplying to an under-18 and decide not to get involved and stick to being the pick-up location for clothes and other items instead.

I received a knife from them this morning and it didn't even require a signature. I'm surprised that they haven't done something to tighten up their procedures with the changes pending.

I received a knife from them this morning and it didn't even require a signature. I'm surprised that they haven't done something to tighten up their procedures with the changes pending.
    What kind of knife was it?

Also, they can check the age of the buyer without the buyer ever knowing.

Master
    What good would a signature have done? Postmen couldn't care less who signs for things and frequently just sign it themselves and put it through the letterbox. Nor do postmen have any knowledge of what they're delivering, or require any proof of age etc. As per their email, Hennie won't ship unless they can confirm age of the buyer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Of course that will only apply to British companies as you’ll still be able to purchase abroad as and when you want. As will be your children.
    F**** insane ! I never knew that thx, What a load of bollocks tho!

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    What good would a signature have done? Postmen couldn't care less who signs for things and frequently just sign it themselves and put it through the letterbox. Nor do postmen have any knowledge of what they're delivering, or require any proof of age etc. As per their email, Hennie won't ship unless they can confirm age of the buyer.
    I don't expect the postman to check anything and I never said I did. My point is that they've done nothing to help their case. Regardless of them checking it wouldn't be too difficult for someone underage to get card details and buy a knife. The government's proposal is over the top but Hennie need to show they're doing something better than they are now.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 12th October 2017 at 12:06.

Master
    I don't expect the postman to check anything and I never said I did. My point is that they've done nothing to help their case. Regardless of them checking it wouldn't be too difficult for someone underage to get card details and buy a knife. The government's proposal is over the top but Hennie need to show they're doing something better than they are now.
    Or they could just ask their brother or friend to buy it for them. I'm simply asking how a signature would change anything. Signed postage would not help their case in any way given the way the postmen and women work. HH require proof of age before shipping, what more can they possibly do?

Or they could just ask their brother or friend to buy it for them. I'm simply asking how a signature would change anything. Signed postage would not help their case in any way given the way the postmen and women work. HH require proof of age before shipping, what more can they possibly do?
    At the moment they're assuming the buyer is who they claim to be and just allowing the knife to land on the doormat. They probably need to look at alternatives to Royal Mail. Perhaps they could send to addressee only and require that person to sign for it, or maybe they can start using collection points. DPD requires a passport or driving licence to collect from theirs.

Master
    At the moment they're assuming the buyer is who they claim to be and just allowing the knife to land on the doormat. They probably need to look at alternatives to Royal Mail. Perhaps they could send to addressee only and require that person to sign for it, or maybe they can start using collection points. DPD requires a passport or driving licence to collect from theirs.
    The collection only would be the only way, and would most likely put them out of business. I can't think of a single business who only deliver to the addressee regardless of the service or T&C's. I've not had to sign for anything in 12 months, and that has been from pretty much every courier and service, be it knives or rolex watches. Everything simply went to the concierge, who then put a slip through your door, and so long as you have the slip, anybody can then collect it.

Personally I think that HH are doing exactly as they should, and should be doing what they can to resist any further restrictions. This proposed legislation is nothing to do with stopping young people getting knives, it's to make us think they're doing something. Since when have age restrictions stopped anyone getting something they're not old enough to buy themselves? If we don't enforce the current system, then why do we think they'd enforce a new one? And as has been stated on this thread, you could just buy from abroad and bypass all of the legislation.

The collection only would be the only way, and would most likely put them out of business. I can't think of a single business who only deliver to the addressee regardless of the service or T&C's. I've not had to sign for anything in 12 months, and that has been from pretty much every courier and service, be it knives or rolex watches. Everything simply went to the concierge, who then put a slip through your door, and so long as you have the slip, anybody can then collect it.

Personally I think that HH are doing exactly as they should, and should be doing what they can to resist any further restrictions. This proposed legislation is nothing to do with stopping young people getting knives, it's to make us think they're doing something. Since when have age restrictions stopped anyone getting something they're not old enough to buy themselves? If we don't enforce the current system, then why do we think they'd enforce a new one? And as has been stated on this thread, you could just buy from abroad and bypass all of the legislation.
    I had to show the courier proof of ID when my passport was delivered, but perhaps the solution is that we all employ a concierge!

Master
    I had to show the courier proof of ID when my passport was delivered, but perhaps the solution is that we all employ a concierge!
    My point being that clearly there are inconsistencies within courier firms regarding signatures, something HH can do little about. My last postman would sign for everything himself and just drop it in a communal mail box.

And the concierge comes with the flat. Most modern flat complexes have a concierge these days it seems.

Blog Entries
    It’s a sad state of affairs . I understand knife crime is apparent but blades articles can be bought in Tesco by thugs who want to brandish them . It’s not just children neither. This proposal is penalising bushcraft enthusiasts, knife collectors and majoritivley responsible folk . What a farce - maybe the government should try a fresh approach to the punishment of assault with deadly weapons and murder as of now it’s obvious the deterrent is inefficient.