closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Repair of 1985 Omega De Ville

Journeyman

Repair of 1985 Omega De Ville

My watch was bought new from Michael Jones Jeweler in Northampton for £225 as a 21st birthday present, so has a lot of sentimental value. It's not run for several years for various reasons and Omega wanted several hundred pounds to repair it.

This Omega 1377 Caliber (an ETA 959.00 ebauche) is no longer available and spares are limited or obsolete so it's taken a lot of time to eventually fix it

I'd already repaired the cell clamp, screws and insulators, with spare parts sourced from Canada on Ebay, but there was still no impulse from the movement. Eventually, I found a running spare movement in the United States and bought it on Ebay for about £150.

I really wanted to wear this watch again after all this time so set about getting it running again.

I’m not a watchmaker and work on watches as an amateur hobbyist; my techniques are self taught, so apologies for that. I took some pictures so you can see what I did, if anyone is interested.

Fig 1: Top (dial) side of spare (donor) movement.

Fig 2: Bottom (back) side of spare (donor) movement.

Fig 3: Top (dial) side of spare (donor) movement. Remove existing hands with a hand puller tool, dial has already been removed.

Fig 4: Watch and movement. Broken winding stem replaced and new stem tube, crown and seal replaced (parts sourced from Cousins).

Fig 5: Remove movement and dial from watch after removing movement clamps and screws.

Fig 6: Fit temporary winding stem.

Fig 7: Fit original dial onto donor movement.

Fig 8: Fit original hands onto donor movement with had setting tool. Damaged hand polished to remove worse of damage.

Fig 9: Fit movement surround to donor movement and clean inside of glass and case.

Fig 10: Case up donor movement and clean with Rodico.

Fig 11: Refit winding stem, clean case back and fit new case back seal.

Fig 12: Refit movement clamps and screws.

Fig 13: Case back fitted, set, test and strap to wrist. Admire.

Hope you enjoy my watch repair efforts. My mum will be pleased to see her gift to me on my wrist and working again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by slever; 20th October 2017 at 19:49.

Well done. I bet doing this yourself added to the sentimental value.

Good work, and a good looking watch, worth treating to a new strap now I think!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Good work, and a good looking watch, worth treating to a new strap now I think!
    Yes I agree. That Omega one is about 10 years old now. Perhaps an alligator, snake or shark skin? Problem is it’s a 17mm size and a bit difficult to source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk