closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tag Heuer chemo 16 date issue

Apprentice

Tag Heuer chemo 16 date issue

Hi

I recently bought a 2019 Tag Heuer chronograph 16, but in the last day or so the date wheel seems to be out of sink with the minute/hour hands. The date isn't changing at 12am but more like 6.30 or 10.00. To my knowledge I haven't adjusted the date wheel in the time frame that you are not meant to. Is there a way to calibrate the date so that it is in sink?

Quote Originally Posted by Marine_918 View Post
    Hi

I recently bought a 2019 Tag Heuer chronograph 16, but in the last day or so the date wheel seems to be out of sink with the minute/hour hands. The date isn't changing at 12am but more like 6.30 or 10.00. To my knowledge I haven't adjusted the date wheel in the time frame that you are not meant to. Is there a way to calibrate the date so that it is in sink?
    No not really it needs to go back to the manufacturer.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    No not really it needs to go back to the manufacturer.
    Is it unusual for a watch to do this when it is new or could it have happened at the jewelers prior to it been shipped to myself? Having read different articles on the web it seems to be common for the date to change at 2/3am instead of bang on 12am?

Quote Originally Posted by Marine_918 View Post
    Is it unusual for a watch to do this when it is new or could it have happened at the jewelers prior to it been shipped to myself? Having read different articles on the web it seems to be common for the date to change at 2/3am instead of bang on 12am?
    I can’t answer that I am afraid. I don’t know what movement is in the watch. However all movements as far as I am aware are designed to change at midnight. Some (older movements) start the change around 22:00 / 22:30 but they all tend to have completed the date change by 00:00

I would take it back to the dealer for a 2nd opinion
    Does the date change at an odd time if you wind the hands forward manually using the crown?
    A date changing at 3am is not right.

Did the date change normally and now, all of a sudden, it started to change at the wrong time ?

Normally the time at which the date/day changes depends on how the parts are being assembled in the movement. Pretty much you can make the movement change the day/date at any hour you like, you just have to place some specific parts in certain positions, that's all.

This is weird because you say that you haven't changed the date in the time when you're not supposed to but I believe that if you did that and some part broke then it wouldn't have worked at all...

Has the watch been dropped or anything like that ?

I can't see how the parts inside would somehow change position (there's no room) in order for the date to start changing at a different time...

If this has happened ever since you got it then someone messed up on the watchmaking bench when they assembled the movement (quite shameful mistake really).

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I can’t answer that I am afraid. I don’t know what movement is in the watch. However all movements as far as I am aware are designed to change at midnight. Some (older movements) start the change around 22:00 / 22:30 but they all tend to have completed the date change by 00:00

I would take it back to the dealer for a 2nd opinion
    Does the date change at an odd time if you wind the hands forward manually using the crown?
    A date changing at 3am is not right.
    Yes, if I manually wind the hands then it changes at very odd times. If I position the hands at 12oclock then it will change the date at 4oclock. Will this be covered under warranty as I bought the watch from an international AD only last week!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ordo View Post
    Did the date change normally and now, all of a sudden, it started to change at the wrong time ?

Normally the time at which the date/day changes depends on how the parts are being assembled in the movement. Pretty much you can make the movement change the day/date at any hour you like, you just have to place some specific parts in certain positions, that's all.

This is weird because you say that you haven't changed the date in the time when you're not supposed to but I believe that if you did that and some part broke then it wouldn't have worked at all...

Has the watch been dropped or anything like that ?

I can't see how the parts inside would somehow change position (there's no room) in order for the date to start changing at a different time...

If this has happened ever since you got it then someone messed up on the watchmaking bench when they assembled the movement (quite shameful mistake really).
    It's hard to say if it has ever done it normally as I only received it last Thursday from an International AD. Upon using it the couple of times, everything seemed fine with it but when I looked at it this morning at 6.30am I noticed that the date hadn't changed. Thats when I moved the hands manually and noticed it wasn't changing the date at midnight.
    Last edited by Marine_918; 5th June 2019 at 15:32.

When you change the date both by hand or "automatically" on its own does it:

a) change in both situations at the exact time
    b) change at different hours depending on which mode is used to change the date
    c) change randomly at all sorts of times possible

Apprentice
    When you change the date both by hand or "automatically" on its own does it:

a) change in both situations at the exact time
    b) change at different hours depending on which mode is used to change the date
    c) change randomly at all sorts of times possible
    So when I position the time to 12oclock manually, the date will change at 6.30am every time.

I don't know what the rules on international ADs are but I would say that yours should definitely be covered by warranty.

I'm thinking that they would either offer to refund you or have it taken back to the factory or their watchmakers and then return it to you, supposedly fixed.

What about automatically ? The date should change at 6:30 just like manually.

Apprentice
    I don't know what the rules on international ADs are but I would say that yours should definitely be covered by warranty.

I'm thinking that they would either offer to refund you or have it taken back to the factory or their watchmakers and then return it to you, supposedly fixed.

What about automatically ? The date should change at 6:30 just like manually.
    Thanks for the quick responses. I'll take it to me Tag dealer and hopefully they can help.