closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your First Car?

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I am just about to send my 1.6 GTi away for paint following its restoration.

I had a red 1.6 as my first car (first that I fully bought and owned myself). A few years ago I woke up following a dream about that car and decided I should buy another. Fortunately this was when they were still dirt cheap.

Its even better to drive than I remembered.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Lovely, and super pics.

Now I really wish you hadn't said that about how good it still is to drive...

That is making me want one again even more.

(Are you sure you can't say that it is really quite disappointing, and that some fond memories should just be left as memories...?)
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Dangerous thread - your first car is a popular question choice for online security for banks etc.
    I'm now very wary of putting this kind of information out into the public domain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Dangerous thread - your first car is a popular question choice for online security for banks etc.
    I'm now very wary of putting this kind of information out into the public domain.
    I better shelve the 'What's was your mother's maiden name?' Thread I'd been planning then.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    Austin 1100,this little lady could tell some right tales.
    Same here, cost me £100 in 1980. Wheel bearings made a hell of a racket when turning right but it was OK if you only did left turns. I remember getting a neighbour to weld the exhaust back together when it fell off because I couldn't afford a new one. And I used to have to put half a gallon of petrol in it at a time, about 50p worth, for the same reason

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Don't think I've ever been asked this, first pet, fav teachers name, first school .... on the other hand

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    1972 Vauxhall viva hc 1256cc in Henly blue cost me £300.00 put 3 gearboxes in it when you could go to a scrap yard and have a good rummage and a few bits in your pocket and toolbox them where the days.
    You were done!

I only paid £200 for my 1973 Metallic Sh*t Brown one, USA959L. Written off when exploring the (very low) limits of the handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Mk1 Cavalier Coupe in gold

For some inexplicable reason it was cheaper to insure than the virtually-identical Opel Manta

Got written off when someone ran up the back of it in City of London on the morning of the Lord Mayor's show.
    My second car was a blue one - They were actually great cars to drive, but the 1.9 engine was made of marshmallow!

First car was a Red Triumph 1500TC, the RWD version.

Much like this year younger Dolomite, although it's on the fatter Sprint wheels!

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 13th October 2017 at 17:00.

Blimey this brings back memories!

I bought a Renault Fuego 1.5 ( ? can't remember exactly) in 1985 before I passed my test. Obviously failed my test and it sat rusting in the car park of the hospital I was working at until I had a letter from management to remove it or it would be towed away.

It was then towed away before I could even drive it :(

First actual driveable car was a MK1 Astra in beige if I remember...

I had a Red Audi 80 followed very very shortly by an MG Metro in white. I remember the MG very well as I crashed on Christmas eve after having the car 2 weeks. I hoped my dad might buy me something else but as the Audi was totalled a few months before he wasn't that daft and fixed it up. Both fantastic cars.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Ah fun memories. Mine was a 97 Citroen Saxo (in 2004), navy blue 1.1i. That stupid immobilizer thing seemed so cool at the time! Ended up being a write off after being hit by a BMW 5 series at 30mph from behind (I was stopped). Bent the chassis and floor pan, engine fell forwards etc. BMW was drive able!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Mine was a red Datsun 120AF11. Bought from original owner over 8 months, interest free, at £50 a month. That was a cool car. No doubt a pile of rust now :-(

Foggy

I feel young.

Quote Originally Posted by Odo View Post
    Blimey this brings back memories!

I bought a Renault Fuego 1.5 .
    Oh dear....... The shame! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I feel young.

You must be!

(Or - a very late bloomer )

Banned
    Blog Entries
    XR3i

years of fun as a young guy, me and a mate paid for it, and we run around together in it (I was the only one to drive for two years)

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    XR3i

years of fun as a young guy, me and a mate paid for it, and we run around together in it (I was the only one to drive for two years)
    And you managed to get insurance as a 'novice' driver? Must have been an expense?

Al

Master
    1965 Ford Anglia Super with the 1200cc engine

Aqua blue with white roof and flash. Kept a few years and replaced it with a Cortina Mk 2 1600E.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Daf variomatic.
    Ah remember it well, was my mothers car at the time I passed my driving test so she used to let me use it till I sold my trail bike and bought a Mini Clubman estate for my first car.

Mine was a Wolseley Hornet in green. Same as the pic below. I bought it in my last school year. But unfortunately it never got on the road. There was a fault with the hydrolastic suspension.

I do still have the original V5. Sadly the car was scrapped.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using TZ-UK mobile app

[QUOTE=blackal;4526283]Oh dear....... The shame! :)

True :)

But it was very comfy to sit in and listen to the radio!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    And you managed to get insurance as a 'novice' driver? Must have been an expense?

Al
    it was very expensive, but I was also making a lot of money then, selling newspapers I kid you not,was earning £70-£150 a night, started at 930pm and finished at around 12.30am, just in time for a few pints at the snooker club.

all this back in the eighties, the eighties.....

Craftsman
    XR3i

I had the same as a 17 year old, a 1984 ‘A’ reg in silver. The car was 6 years old at that time, cost about £1200 to buy IIRC.

a 'y' reg Alfa Romeo Alfasud Sprint Veloce Trofeo.

A great little car with 85bhp, inboard front discs and a flat-4 engine. Delicious rasp from the exhaust.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BaBa View Post
    I had the same as a 17 year old, a 1984 ‘A’ reg in silver. The car was 6 years old at that time, cost about £1200 to buy IIRC.
    yes, mine was 3 years old as far as I remember, one cool thing I liked was the keypad lower centre dash, that you had to input a 4 digit code to disarm the immobilizer,

not sure if this was an option, or only on the higher spec models, little black thing with chromed domed buttons.

Some good memories being brought back on this thread.

My first car was a black MG Metro - B88BBM was the reg. I suppose it was only about 7 years old but had already rusted through both front wings, which was a good intro to Isopon and rattle cans. Once I'd got it looking sharp it was rear-ended by an elderly chap in St Albans.

In a decent display of early man-maths, I decided that a 1965 MG Midget was ideal replacement as my daily driver. HPD837C. That would have been 38-ish years old and sustained me on my 35+ mile round-trip commute for quite a while before the engine went, leaving a neat line of oil down the A405 into Watford. Lovely little car though - chrome bumpers & grille, Cosmic alloys and looked great from a distance. It took me some months to realise the indicators were at different heights because it had non-matching front wings.

Eventually (after an engine replacement for the Midget - £100 from a scrappy) - I bought a Mk1 Scirocco to use over winter to spare the MG. That £200 VW is the only car to date I've ever managed to sell on at a profit.

Craftsman
    yes, mine was 3 years old as far as I remember, one cool thing I liked was the keypad lower centre dash, that you had to input a 4 digit code to disarm the immobilizer,

not sure if this was an option, or only on the higher spec models, little black thing with chromed domed buttons.
    Must have been an option; mine didn’t have one (had an aftermarket alarm in fact, no standard alarm/ immobiliser at all). It did have the glass sunroof option though - with a handle to wind it open and closed.

In 1963 I inherited my dad's 1956 Buick Special, which I street-raced in downtown Sioux City, Iowa at least 2-3 nights every week for a couple years. We sold it for $35 (junk) after I blew up the second transmission! This was THE car (actually maroon and white):

...like this one in color:

Last edited by pacifichrono; 15th October 2017 at 03:07.

I bought my first car in 1977 it was a 1966 Ford Mustang with a 289 and a three speed. My brother wrecked it while I was in USAF basic/tech school in 1979. Sold it for 550.00 USD because of all the upgrades to the engine as well as the pony interior. That 550.00 became the down payment on my 1979 MGB which I drove for the next four and a half years. the body was barely holding together because of all the rust.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Don't think I've ever been asked this, first pet, fav teachers name, first school .... on the other hand
    It's certainly one of the backup security questions for apple and some of the banks i use. In fact I've had to use it today.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    In 1963 I inherited my dad's 1956 Buick Special, which I street-raced in downtown Sioux City, Iowa at least 2-3 nights every week for a couple years. We sold it for $35 (junk) after I blew up the second transmission! This was THE car (actually maroon and white):

...like this one in color:

Beautiful - I love the styling on US cars of this era.

I have a late 50's/early 60's Corvette on my car bucket list..

22 years old, last year at uni and 1 years placement salary saved up and it all went on this...

1985 Citroën CX25 GTi Turbo (second series, turbo 1 - with the larger turbocharger and no intercooler) - this is the closest picture I can find of one like mine... though this one is a turbo2

Apprentice
    Old Rover Metro Rio in blue. Best thing about it was I had to stop every 15 miles to top the radiator up haha
    Great for reverse 180’s too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine was a 1983 Y-reg Ford Fiesta 1.1L. Ford, rather optimistically, called the colour 'Dove Grey' when it was very obviously beige.
    53bhp and complete with a charming set of economy indicator lights on the speedo. If you were a little heavy with your right foot a small frosted square amber light would illuminate. If you were really heavy-footed it was joined by a red light. It's achilles heel was dampness getting into the distributor. 10 years old when I got it, I had it for about 18 months and sold it for what I bought it for.

Not my picture, but it looked like this:

caf0d153036dcc77fdf6823ce0d03302--red-and-white-prom.jpg
    Hillman Minx 1500cc from 1957, best car I've ever owned taught me to drive so it did.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I feel young.

Phew - not the only one! I had an 03 plate Fiesta in the same colour, albeit less spoilers on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    22 years old, last year at uni and 1 years placement salary saved up and it all went on this...

1985 Citroën CX25 GTi Turbo (second series, turbo 1 - with the larger turbocharger and no intercooler) - this is the closest picture I can find of one like mine... though this one is a turbo2

There's definitely something about those big Citroen from that era. Nothing else has ever looked quite like them, and they certainly have a presence.

A very, very rare sight these days sadly.