closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Do we know HOW rare this watch is?

Classic cars selling for £5M when there are 5 or 6 in the world or 20 or 30 even, is one thing, but if they made 20,000 (or more!) of these it seems expensive.

M

Auctions do throw up nice watches, This is on an open auction and finishes the end of the month, from what I can see it has correct hands dot over 90 bezel etc so looks nice -

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Totally agree agree with you. I would much rather have the new version than something that looks half knackered.
    Both these.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    the funny thing is that I believe the 3,6,9 dial was a zero cost option from Rolex.
    The exotic (Newman) dial on the Daytona was a zero cost option, too, but hardly anyone took them up on that, either.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`ll never understand the vintage Rolex Sub madness. OK, the dial's rare etc.....but this sort of money will buy a decent house! I thought it was a wind-up when I first saw it.

Much as I like watches I`ve no strong urge too own something like this, it has absolutely zero appeal to me at any price to me.

For anyone who's not into watches it's difficult to comprehend why someone would pay big money for this, but I am into watches and I`m still struggling to grasp it! It's not the fact that it's expensive, I just cannot see the appeal no matter how I try.

To me, the lume on the hands and dial matches too well, I find it hard to believe both have aged in exactly the same manner and that would make me suspicious that it's had 'work'..........but I assume the buyer thinks otherwise and he's more likely to be right than I am!

£300K to own a ratty old watch.....are we sure it isn`t a wind-up?

Paul
    Definitely agree.
    But it's a boo sucks to the Rolex haters

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Auctions do throw up nice watches, This is on an open auction and finishes the end of the month, from what I can see it has correct hands dot over 90 bezel etc so looks nice -

That's a nice looking watch, bung it off to Simon Freese to work his magic and service the movement and you would have yourself a very nice watch. The art is to look beyond what is currently in front of your face.

Looks nice but the corrosion would worry me a little. Got a link to the auction?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    It can often be a sales tactic, and applies even when selling houses.

Drum up footfall with a very low price, and watch the bidding frenzy happen.
    When selling a property I offer for sale at well below market valuation. The market will find the value, any item is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. And I believe that a buyer is comforted if there is an underbidder or two.
    As to auctions, people seem to loose their mind at times. I attended a bankruptcy auction to buy an upright freezer. Shop display models, so expected to pay maybe half retail. Fat chance. Each was bid to more than retail at the hammer, BEFORE adding VAT and commission. There really is one born every minute.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Wearing something like that Speedmaster is the equivalent to me of getting washed and changed for a night out, putting a smart shirt , best strides, smart shoes, then rolling around the garden wrestling with the dog then crawling under the car.........I'd look a scruffy shabby mess. That to me is what this watch looks like, I couldn`t give a damn where the dot is around the 90, the watch looks shagged.

For some reason that I can't grasp this look has been deemed desirable (don't polish it.....don't touch that dial or those hands!), folks fawn over it and pay daft money. It's kings new clothes syndrome.

There are many thousands of Speedy Pros in the world, and like black cats they all look alike with very subtle differences.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 13th October 2017 at 17:25.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Looks nice but the corrosion would worry me a little. Got a link to the auction?
    Here you go - Already £3750 with 16 days to go +24% sales tax/VAT

Thanks. The bezel and bracelet are worth £3500 just on their own. I would have thought at least 8k but perhaps more if there is more info on the military link. I’ll keep my eye on it

Is the story a little too tall (and not spell-checked!)? Why would a pilot, who's flying the plane, be doing that.

This watch previosuly belonged to a former RAF Pilot who had the distiniction of throwing Prince Charles from from a plane on his first parachute jump.

Master
    I’m with Paul on these, just cannot see the value no matter the rarity.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Why do people always come out with this crap. The buyer clearly knew what the Watch was and what it was worth and it was clearly an informed decision. If it is resold in a few years time for even more then that makes your comment seem even more ridiculous.

Just because it is not for you doesn't make the buyer a fool. I can guarantee anyone spending that kind of money knows exactly what they are doing.
    Absolutely - a watch is only worth what someone will pay for it. I've no doubt that on 2 or so years time some madman will offer a load more for this watch. And that will make this apparently crazy price look like a steal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Nice buy for someone. The bidders knew what they wanted and no doubt. Know how they felt (albeit in a cheaper way!).

Craftsman
    Wearing something like that Speedmaster is the equivalent to me of getting washed and changed for a night out, putting a smart shirt , best strides, smart shoes, then rolling around the garden wrestling with the dog then crawling under the car.........I'd look a scruffy shabby mess. That to me is what this watch looks like, I couldn`t give a damn where the dot is around the 90, the watch looks shagged.

For some reason that I can't grasp this look has been deemed desirable (don't polish it.....don't touch that dial or those hands!), folks fawn over it and pay daft money. It's kings new clothes syndrome.

There are many thousands of Speedy Pros in the world, and like black cats they all look alike with very subtle differences.

Paul
    I can understand why people may leave the aesthetics of a watch untouched. Sometimes it can be for sentimental reasons. If I had a watch that I've worn for years and collected a few scratches or dings they may remind me of happy ( or sad!) times. Same if the watch was passed on by a loved one.
    I admit that this doesn't apply if you're buying an old watch from a stranger. I guess in those circumstances people must be interested in the history of the piece and how it's aged with time. It's not like we go round restoring ancient artefacts in museums!
    If I had 230k to spend on a watch I wouldn't buy an old one. I would buy one I liked and wear it all the time knowing that the scratches and scrapes were all mine and not part of a romantic fantasy of a life I've never actually lived.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

This auction has some lovely watches ending in the next few weeks along with this Explorer dial sub, this time the reserve is £60-100k with bids already at 36k but has that lume been reworked or is it bloated? -

Last edited by murkeywaters; 14th October 2017 at 10:25.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Totally agree agree with you. I would much rather have the new version than something that looks half knackered.
    Totally agree. I admire vintage watches and cars but never want to own one. Too much liability. The majority of the value in that watch is the face. Heaven forbid if it developed a moisture / fungi problem.

Great story though.

Craftsman
    So nothing especially unusual about this watch other than condition and the numerals? Wow indeed.

I don't get it.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dommorton View Post
    So nothing especially unusual about this watch other than condition and the numerals? Wow indeed.

I don't get it.
    Don't worry about not 'getting it', you're in good company

Many of those who do get it only get it because someone else gets it and decides it's worth
    lots of money. They become conditioned to think it's desirable despite the total lack of aesthetic appeal. Either way, it's a shabby sad-looking scruffy piece of junk that someone's prepared to pay a lot for........ logic and common sense don't enter into it.

Paul

Many of those who do get it only get it because someone else gets it and decides it's worth lots of money
    How much is a sparkly, shiny, brand new Rolex "worth"? Exactly as much as the market will pay, which is a different thing from materials, development, build and marketing cost.

It will be sent off to someone who will make an excellent job of tidying it up, whilst preserving the (hopefully) original bits which make it rare and, by turn, valuable.

Craftsman
    Don't worry about not 'getting it', you're in good company

Many of those who do get it only get it because someone else gets it and decides it's worth
    lots of money. They become conditioned to think it's desirable despite the total lack of aesthetic appeal. Either way, it's a shabby sad-looking scruffy piece of junk that someone's prepared to pay a lot for........ logic and common sense don't enter into it.

Paul
    I’d understand more if it was a 1 of 1 or owned by someone special or something, but just the fact it’s survived doesn’t seem enough to justify more than 4 figures let alone well in to 6.

Just crackers

I agree with the general consensus that this, on the surface, appears a lot to spend on a watch let alone a secondhand watch.

However, and I appreciate many won’t agree with me, consider this. Someone who doesn’t earn much money and has a family to support etc... They walk past a watch shop and see the price of a brand new Rolex. They too could argue that it’s meaningless or ridiculous spending so much on an item you put on your wrist that does no more than tell the time and possibly the date. A watch from, let’s say, Argos at a fraction of the price does the same and because it’s a quartz doesn’t need winding every few days nor does it lose -/+ seconds a day.

My observation is that such a person could make similar arguments that are being made here about someone bidding £230k on an old Rolex.

Is it a lot of money? Absolutely. If the winning bid is a multiple of your salary or net worth it clearly appears insane and incomprehensible. Yet, if the amount is a small fraction of your net worth then it may not seem like an excessive amount on something you desire.

One final observation, the bid wouldn’t have reached £230k if at least one other person wasn’t willing to spend in excess of £200k.

I’m really pleased that the winning bidder managed to get a piece s/he desired as I know how pleased I’d be if I found something I really wanted.

Craftsman
    as I always think, something is worth as much as somebody is willing to pay for it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cannot believe that people "not getting it" was not the primary concern of the buyer as they were spending 230k on a watch.
    Presumably from a cardboard mat with only a sleeping bag for comfort as they were sheltering from the autumn chill since they clearly hadn't got the foresight to purchase a house or anything else remotely sensible before committing close to a quarter of a mil on a collectible.

If only they'd seen this thread first.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Cannot believe that people "not getting it" was not the primary concern of the buyer as they were spending 230k on a watch.
    Presumably from a cardboard mat with only a sleeping bag for comfort as they were sheltering from the autumn chill since they clearly hadn't got the foresight to purchase a house or anything else remotely sensible before committing close to a quarter of a mil on a collectible.

If only they'd seen this thread first.
    Wise words, it has always been my mantra to check the forum before making any life changing decisions, incidentally it was a friend of one of the members over on the Rolex Forum that made that purchase and yet not one of them didn’t get it. How odd!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    There were threads here on a couple auctioned last year. I failed to find them, but did find this piece

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ro...original-owner
    Fellows sold one last year, est £50k - £80k, hammer dropped at £160k, inc taxes £198k.
    That had box, guarantee, service papers & original sales brochure, seems a bargain compared to £325k!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Fellows sold one last year, est £50k - £80k, hammer dropped at £160k, inc taxes £198k.
    That had box, guarantee, service papers & original sales brochure, seems a bargain compared to £325k!
    The market moves on, I am no expert but from someone who is, I am advised it is a particularly rare dial variant, I presume within the explorer dial subs family. Quite a few vintage Rolex have seen big percentage rises over the last 12/24 months, not just at the unobtainium top end. People who part with these sort of sums generally know what they are doing.

Master
    Where is Haywood when you need him?

Forthcoming auction

Here's another one (head only, without bracelet), coming up for sale later this week:

http://www.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/fo...-a-fruit-bowl/

Included in the next Watch Auction on the 25th October 2017 we have this rare Rolex Submariner 5513 wristwatch with the Explorer 369 dial, amazingly the sixth example to come up for sale at Gardiner Houlgate in the past two years.

It is sold with private family provenance and was originally owned by Mr Denis McCoole who passed away in 2012 at the age of 84. As far as his family can recall, Denis purchased this watch in the 1960s and was always known wearing the watch, such a fondness that he never took it off. Upon his death the watch was bequeathed to his nephew.

Rare and fine Rolex Oyster Perpetual Submariner stainless steel gentleman’s wristwatch with the 3-6-9 Explorer dial, ref. 5513, circa 1964, serial no. 1170xxx, the black Swiss dial with single ‘T<25’ print, with small minute markers, hour baton markers, quarter 3-6-9 Arabic numerals, gilt dial printing ‘Rolex Oyster Perpetual 200m=660ft Submariner’, Mercedes hands with sweep centre seconds, Oyster case with revolving black calibrated bezel insert, crown guards with screw-down crown, calibre 1530 26 jewel movement, the case back stamped ‘5513’ and dated ‘III.64’, inscribed with various service references, case, dial and movement signed, bezel diameter 40mm (glass cracked, no bracelet)
    Estimate £60,000-100,000

These rare Rolex Submariners with Explorer dials were believed to have been produced in very small numbers during the late 1950s and early 1960s.
    Entries for this sale are now invited until the 2nd October, for further details please contact David Hare or Joby Hobbs.

Telephone : 01225 812912

Email : auctions@gardinerhoulgate.co.uk
    Estimate £60,000-£100,000. A tad conservative perhaps ?

Oops - Alternate link already posted by murkywaters (See post #67)
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 23rd October 2017 at 08:38. Reason: Doh - read the previous posts !

The filth on that watch. They didn’t even clean the bracelet before photography? Not into it anyway but even less so with the scum between the links. Horrible.

Craftsman
    Silly money for any watch.

Journeyman
    Wow - thats impressive. Back in the day this watch would've been just another watch in the shop window..

I guess if someone (or probably 2 or 3 people) really want something and they happen to have a few quid behind them, this sort of thing will happen!

Master
    Sold for £135,000 + commission = £167,400.

I have an old battered Timex, a snip at £30,000, very rare.

I also have the original suit of emperor's new clothes in mint condition, £250,000.

Form an orderly queue.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.