closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Lockdales Ipswich auction yesterday. Estimate was £7000-£8000.

Sold for: £230,000.

A great result for the seller. You would think the auction house would have had a tube of Polywatch to remove that light graze off the crystal.

One lovely looking very clean Watch with the under line and 3, 6, 9 and Swiss dial. The hands are clearly original and that insert is in fantastic shape with the pip still present. A movement service and you would be good to go.

The market for the rarer pieces shows no sign of slowing down.

Wow that’s incredible. What a beauty! How old was that one?

If I was paying that much for it I'd bloody well thank the auction house to leave it untouched!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    A great result for the seller. You would think the auction house would have had a tube of Polywatch to remove that light graze off the crystal.
    Even without any Polywatch they could have centred the bezel pip!

Sales such as this are to collectors. They’ll unlikely ever meet the retail market and in fairness, who’d actually want something like this as a watch to wear anyway.

Master
    They want to sack whoever gave the estimate.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

The hands are clearly original and that insert is in fantastic shape with the pip still present. A movement service and you would be good to go
    That's a replacement bezel pip though isn't it? Totally unmatched patination with that of the dial and hands.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    That's a replacement bezel pip though isn't it? Totally unmatched patination with that of the dial and hands.
    Not necessarily, the dial and hands are in a sealed water tight case, the bezel pip is exposed to the environment, it is quite feasible that they would gain their patina at different rates

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Not necessarily, the dial and hands are in a sealed water tight case, the bezel pip is exposed to the environment, it is quite feasible that they would gain their patina at different rates
    Oh indeed, but I've seen the reverse before with the pip aging more rapidly than the dial due to that exposure rather than what's going on here with the pip looking rather younger than the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post

Pat him on the back as it drew in potential punters. What a punt they had. Sounds like a bidding war to end up at £230k

Great result and cracking Sub

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

They could have at least centred the bezel!

The bezel and pip were replacements, however 230,000 is a very big number.

I wonder if the buyer is anyone here or on the VRF. It's the sort of thing that would attract 6 people I can think of.

the funny thing is that I believe the 3,6,9 dial was a zero cost option from Rolex.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Forgive my "newbie" question, I understand that under auction conditions anything goes on price but why was this one so sort after, was the previous owner famous or some other historic reason for the value?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Unbelievable!! You can get a brand spanking new one for a little over £5k!

Craftsman
    No I think it's just the completeness of the whole package, and the explorer dial (the real rarity here) that means it was a solid buy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    the explorer dial (the real rarity here)[/URL]
    There were threads here on a couple auctioned last year. I failed to find them, but did find this piece

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ro...original-owner

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    There were threads here on a couple auctioned last year. I failed to find them, but did find this piece

Perfect. Ta.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

Thanks, that helped.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Craftsman

My thoughts exactly.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    Unbelievable!! You can get a brand spanking new one for a little over £5k!
    Thankfully it wasn't posted in SC or the seller would have been slated for selling above RRP.

Craftsman
    I suspect we will never know if the vendor was private or if this was bought on a valuation day by the auction house as this is practice of some auctioneers these days .
    Total with premium £325k nice tickle for someone .
    I hope it's a private ,delighted , owner rather than some one reflecting on "I wonder if that was the watch I sold on the valuation day "?
    The same auction house also sold yesterday an early Speedmaster that made £30k plus premium.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

19.5% premium for the buyer, plus the seller's premium, a good day for the auction house methinks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cripes, I drive past this place every day and used to live just over the road by I had no idea they even ran auctions. Perhaps I will pop in for a look next time they have any watches in. It would have been quite good fun to be in the room!

Master
    Later insert aside it looks like a nice original example with super case and lugs.

Grand Master
    I`ll never understand the vintage Rolex Sub madness. OK, the dial's rare etc.....but this sort of money will buy a decent house! I thought it was a wind-up when I first saw it.

Much as I like watches I`ve no strong urge too own something like this, it has absolutely zero appeal to me at any price to me.

For anyone who's not into watches it's difficult to comprehend why someone would pay big money for this, but I am into watches and I`m still struggling to grasp it! It's not the fact that it's expensive, I just cannot see the appeal no matter how I try.

To me, the lume on the hands and dial matches too well, I find it hard to believe both have aged in exactly the same manner and that would make me suspicious that it's had 'work'..........but I assume the buyer thinks otherwise and he's more likely to be right than I am!

£300K to own a ratty old watch.....are we sure it isn`t a wind-up?

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    FGS. whats the comparison and difference on its "when new" price anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`ll never understand the vintage Rolex Sub madness. OK, the dial's rare etc.....but this sort of money will buy a decent house! I thought it was a wind-up when I first saw it.

Much as I like watches I`ve no strong urge too own something like this, it has absolutely zero appeal to me at any price to me.

For anyone who's not into watches it's difficult to comprehend why someone would pay big money for this, but I am into watches and I`m still struggling to grasp it! It's not the fact that it's expensive, I just cannot see the appeal no matter how I try.

To me, the lume on the hands and dial matches too well, I find it hard to believe both have aged in exactly the same manner and that would make me suspicious that it's had 'work'..........but I assume the buyer thinks otherwise and he's more likely to be right than I am!

Paul

Totally agree agree with you. I would much rather have the new version than something that looks half knackered.

Completely get the appeal of old stuff - it's Georgian manor vs Octagon footballer's pad - but when the stakes are this high, originality is a serious question mark.

it's difficult to comprehend why someone would pay big money for this
    Have to agree with you. When I first started reading the thread, I thought that £7k-£8k was overpriced, given that you can get a nice new one (with a date on it!) for less!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Have to agree with you. When I first started reading the thread, I thought that £7k-£8k was overpriced, given that you can get a nice new one (with a date on it!) for less!
    Can't wait for the threads when Paul Newman's Paul Newman sells for in excess of £10m.

Poor old Paul will probably have a heart attack

Can't wait for the threads when Paul Newman's Paul Newman sells for in excess of £10m.

Poor old Paul will probably have a heart attack
    At least Newmans Newman is a wind up unlike the automatic Submariner above.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    At least Newmans Newman is a wind up unlike the automatic Submariner above.
    Very good, I see what you did there. Is it next week or the week after in New York, a possible world record for a watch is being predicted. The current record is WF flogging a vacuum packed Nautilus to a Chinese tourist

Grand Master
    When I watch the classic car shows and see certain old cars fetch big money I can understand that. Sometimes the figures seem a bit daft, but I can relate to it because the cars are so appealing and the beauty's clear to see.

I like a nice old watch, particularly when it's been tastefully restored or it's in really sharp original condition, I can even see the appeal in a watch that's a bit distressed, but I`ll never grasp the ratty old Sub and Speedmaster thing and the prices they fetch.

I`m still wondering if the story's a spoof. Personally, I`d rather have this, and this is actually on my wrist at the moment!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 12th October 2017 at 18:08.

Master
    Auction on October 26th apparently, can’t wait for the furor when the prices of old Daytona’s are dragged up after this sale, the good old ripple effect of which the start of it can already be seen. The moral of the story is go out now and buy old Daytona’s.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Auction on October 26th apparently, can’t wait for the furor when the prices of old Daytona’s are dragged up after this sale, the good old ripple effect of which the start of it can already be seen. The moral of the story is go out now and buy old Daytona’s.
    Let's hear it for rare Daytonas rocketing in value

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    FGS. whats the comparison and difference on its "when new" price anyone?
    £63 in 1964!!

woah what a result for the owner

Craftsman
    When I watch the classic car shows and see certain old cars fetch big money I can understand that. Sometimes the figures seem a bit daft, but I can relate to it because the cars are so appealing and the beauty's clear to see.

I like a nice old watch, particularly when it's been tastefully restored or it's in really sharp original condition, I can even see the appeal in a watch that's a bit distressed, but I`ll never grasp the ratty old Sub and Speedmaster thing and the prices they fetch.

I`m still wondering if the story's a spoof. Personally, I`d rather have this, and this is actually on my wrist at the moment!
    Concur with your sentiment ... And love that Omega in stunning condition...I am in the like new camp !

Paul
    Cant help but agree with this. First impressions on reading the price was "A fool and his money..."

I like the car analogy - there is beauty there. And there's beauty in old watches, too, but why the market is putting Rolex above contemporaneous fine and dress watches... surely that's a bit like the classic car market disregarding the Miura in favour of a tired old Transit.

(And don't fix those transit's scrapes and dings, or empty the fags out of the ashtray).

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Cant help but agree with this. First impressions on reading the price was "A fool and his money..."
    Why do people always come out with this crap. The buyer clearly knew what the Watch was and what it was worth and it was clearly an informed decision. If it is resold in a few years time for even more then that makes your comment seem even more ridiculous.

Just because it is not for you doesn't make the buyer a fool. I can guarantee anyone spending that kind of money knows exactly what they are doing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leefowler View Post
    £63 in 1964!!

Or £907 in today's money... not a bad return at 230k!

Why do people always come out with this crap. The buyer clearly knew what the Watch was and what it was worth and it was clearly an informed decision. If it is resold in a few years time for even more then that makes your comment seem even more ridiculous.

Just because it is not for you doesn't make the buyer a fool. I can guarantee anyone spending that kind of money knows exactly what they are doing.
    Good for them, that's my opinion and it doesn't change by you getting upset about it. You want to spend hundreds of thousands on an old watch go ahead.

Master
    Collectors markets are all obscene, whether it be for Art, cars, stamps or..... Watches. But the market, supply and demand, dictates prices.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    Looks like they gave it a quick buff up ...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-230-000.html

"The successful Italian bidder, who wasn’t named, said the watch was unusually valuable not just because of its orange numerals but also because it is in such a good condition"

It can often be a sales tactic, and applies even when selling houses.

Drum up footfall with a very low price, and watch the bidding frenzy happen.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers Lee. HS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by leefowler View Post
    £63 in 1964!!

Master
    Forget about the Polywatch; they could have at least cleaned it a little. Just look at all the filth between the lugs and the end links.

Or does it add to the originality?

Barn find syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    Forget about the Polywatch; they could have at least cleaned it a little. Just look at all the filth between the lugs and the end links.

Or does it add to the originality?
    Its good to keep the wrist cheese believe it or not, shows buyers it has not been played with and is as found.. regardless of the price it is a stunning watch but I had to back out at £100K

Classic cars the same, barn finds are now picking up more money with the dust and dirt still present..