closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IWC's current range

Master
    Blog Entries
    Colleague has just got a 2017 Ingineur 4th Gen on leather and it's really rather lovely!

The 40mm size is perfect compared to the recent monsters they have been making.

If anyone liked the Genta-ish style, but wanted it smaller, they also did the 3239 which was 40mm:

iirc instead of having the thick in-house movement of the 3227 it had a 2892, and so was able to be much thinner than the 3227 (which was 14.5mm)

Master
    The 3228 is the best of the 40mm Genta-style watches. I'd love one. The ETA watches were a big let down with their silly crown guards and super basic dials.

Lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    The 3228 is the best of the 40mm Genta-style watches. I'd love one. The ETA watches were a big let down with their silly crown guards and super basic dials.

Lovely.
    Jup nailed the problem with the 3229! The crown guard is terrible and dials just so boring.

Still think the 3227 was the best, but damn heavy. Apart from the Mercedes version, did the do a 3227 in Ti, can't remember?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Jup nailed the problem with the 3229! The crown guard is terrible and dials just so boring.

Still think the 3227 was the best, but damn heavy. Apart from the Mercedes version, did the do a 3227 in Ti, can't remember?
    Yes - the AMG tie-ins were chrono and non-chrono, and both were titanium. I think that they were only available on a strap, mind, rather than the bracelet. Could be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Yes - the AMG tie-ins were chrono and non-chrono, and both were titanium. I think that they were only available on a strap, mind, rather than the bracelet. Could be wrong!
    Bracelet too (I have one with my AMG chrono) but much more common on the strap. Also much easier getting a decent fit with the strap and I think looks better too.

"The Ingenieur IW3227-02 is the AMG version of the 2005-2009 Ingenieur. It features a titanium case and a black dial with a mix of Arabic numerals and stick markers. Reference IW3227-02 has a titanium bracelet; reference IW3227-03 is fitted with a strap."

From http://watchbase.com/iwc/ingenieur/iw3227-02

Meijlinder, owner of the wrist in the OP, has pointed out that the font on the date wheel matches the that of the numerals on the dial.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 19th October 2017 at 08:24.

^^^ good spot on the date detail!

Clearly these AMG watches are from a time when some thought went into watch design ;)

I think that IWC had a sweet spot in terms of design and it was that late 90's to mid 2000s period. If you look at the Portuguese, Pilot and Ingenieur models of the period, they all had a cohesive design, attention to detail and a clarity of purpose. What they were thinking when they started with the altimeter-style date windows, oversized cases and garish detailing, I really don't know!