closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWC's current range

IWC's current range

If you gather all IWC's various pilot watches into one, then they current have six lines at the moment....

Da Vince:

Porto Fino:

Portuguese:

Latest generation of Ingenieurs (the 4th generation? Harking back to the first, pre-Genta generation)

Various pilot lines:

Aquatimers:

So what's missing? Meijlinder, a member here and on plenty of other forums, sent me this photo earlier today of his latest arrival, from the previous generation (3rd? - an evolution of the Genta design) of Ingenieurs:

Whatever IWC's reasons for reverting to a pre-Genta design for the Ingenieur, it's left them pilots, a slightly left-field line of divers, four fairly dressy lines and nothing remotely like this.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 14th October 2017 at 14:12. Reason: names

Master
    IWC? Who are they, then?

Blog Entries
    Imho : it could be a mistake to abandon the Genta design cues.

It gave the IWC range something distinctive & made them noticeably different.

It’s one reason the Ingenieur was on my wish list

z

Looking at IWC's current range, the Big Pilot and a couple of the Portuguese are the only ones that hold any interest. It's a shame really

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Modern IWC: mostly bland or ugly. They were so much better circa 2000. That top one is interesting though. I almost sort of like it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Apart from the FA Jones, Portuguese Yacht club and the Aquatimer 2000 I'm struggling to like anything in the range now

4th pic and the diver look best to my eyes in that line up
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    I bought an IW500705 7 Day Auto as for me they are the best IWC watch and strikingly beautiful to look at. For the price point I could have had many alternatives, but I just fell for it completely upon sight.

The Mark XVIII is a hit for me too, but as I have a Speedbird III I can't see the point in paying fortunes for a very similar result.

The other designs leave me a little cold and are likely to never interest me. Certainly wouldn't hurt them to introduce something fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    4th pic and the diver look best to my eyes in that line up
    Sorry, forgot to include the names of the lines. Have edited it now. That 4th one is from the new line up of Ingenieurs

Master
    Blog Entries
    3227-01. My favourite
    Last edited by trident-7; 14th October 2017 at 14:29.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I do like some of the older IWCs, but not as keen on the current line up

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Imho : it could be a mistake to abandon the Genta design cues.

It gave the IWC range something distinctive & made them noticeably different.

It’s one reason the Ingenieur was on my wish list

z
    I agree the Genta style Ingenieur was very much it’s own distinct animal.
    The pre Genta style Ingenieur they are now doing seems a bit ‘could be anything’
    Omega really thrash any competition if it’s pure magnetic resistance. So a dull looking antimagnetic watch is a risk for them.
    I’d have kept the Ingenieur as it was and maybe done a real retro piece as an LE and played around with a modern interpretation of their old Yacht Club 3 hander.
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 14th October 2017 at 17:36.

Craftsman
    I had the AMG ingenieur and the pilots chronograph and really enjoyed them .wish I still had them

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    I had the AMG ingenieur and the pilots chronograph and really enjoyed them .wish I still had them

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app
    I was after an Ingy for a while & very pleased I eventually settled on this one...

z

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dommorton View Post
    The Mark XVIII is a hit for me too, but as I have a Speedbird III I can't see the point in paying fortunes for a very similar result.
    Yep, Eddie's is a better watch.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I was after an Ingy for a while & very pleased I eventually settled on this one...

z
    The first time I became aware of the Ingys was when I was sat next to one of these on the Tube. I had several stops happy staring at it It had been totally beaten up and still looked fantastic.

Master
    It seems like I am/will be in the minority here, but that's nothing new, but I really like the look of the new Ingenieur.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The first time I became aware of the Ingys was when I was sat next to one of these on the Tube. I had several stops happy staring at it It had been totally beaten up and still looked fantastic.
    Don't you think other manufacturers do titanium better? IWC's always looks as if it's cast, not machined, and just a bit ... er ... rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Sorry, forgot to include the names of the lines. Have edited it now. That 4th one is from the new line up of Ingenieurs
    Thank you
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Don't you think other manufacturers do titanium better? IWC's always looks as if it's cast, not machined, and just a bit ... er ... rough.
    I always preferred the IWC titanium finish, in comparison to other brands, particularly as, in my experience, it keeps its appearance so well. I understood that they use a hardening process, which certainly seems to work, and I assumed that this process also produced the 'grainy' appearance of the titanium. My favourite IWC remains the titanium version of the GST chrono, but I also very much like the 3227.01 Ingenieur.

Journeyman
    I like their pilot watches - better than the Rolex attempt at a pilot!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman

valjoux movement

I, really, really, really like this, like, a lot.

But reading reviews, there are some snarky remarks about the movement in a polite, watch review sort of way.
    I know I can get the same movement / complication in similar watches from brands I'd never heard of 'till I googled the movement.
    But that dial . . . . .
    Is the movement not a million miles away from the one used in speedys ?
    (been wrong before, that's why I ask)
    Best price I've seen online is about 3800 gbp, am I likely to get close to that coming through an airport in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    It does come across a bit 'rough' but it's done well and I think it's the style of IWC. personally I feel IWC do Ti better than most.

Though I'm a bit biased!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwave View Post

But reading reviews, there are some snarky remarks about the movement in a polite, watch review sort of way.
    I know I can get the same movement / complication in similar watches from brands I'd never heard of 'till I googled the movement.
    But that dial . . . . .
    Best price I've seen online is about 3800 gbp, am I likely to get close to that coming through an airport in the UK?
    The date placement on that watch is just brutal. It's literally halfway from the center to the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    The date placement on that watch is just brutal. It's literally halfway from the center to the edge.
    It's been a problem with the newer IWCs - small movement/big watch syndrome.

I believe the movement is a 7750 or a variant of it like in my ingenieur. Personally it doesn't bother me being a 'basic' movement. It's the package that counts.

However done a bit poorly here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    It's been a problem with the newer IWCs - small movement/big watch syndrome.

I believe the movement is a 7750 or a variant of it like in my ingenieur. Personally it doesn't bother me being a 'basic' movement. It's the package that counts.

However done a bit poorly here.
    Bremont really suffers for it as well. I think it's the day that really makes it look excessively close. The mark 18 is too close as well, but not nearly as bad as the day date vj7750s.

The bracelet and clasp on these IWCs are superb. Better than modern Rolex.

Bremont really suffers for it as well. I think it's the day that really makes it look excessively close. The mark 18 is too close as well, but not nearly as bad as the day date vj7750s.

The bracelet and clasp on these IWCs are superb. Better than modern Rolex.
    There is an obsessive nature of manufactures adding dates in watches where it looks odd because there is market data showing they need it. Look at my ingenieur, well balanced without a date!

As for the bracelet - yes they're nice, but no damn micro adjustment and it's pot luck if you even can get a half link (and cannot order one). So I ended up needing to buy the strap (and buckle) for stupid money. Now it fits perfectly, but still hurting about the cost!

Master
    There is an obsessive nature of manufactures adding dates in watches where it looks odd because there is market data showing they need it. Look at my ingenieur, well balanced without a date!

As for the bracelet - yes they're nice, but no damn micro adjustment and it's pot luck if you even can get a half link (and cannot order one). So I ended up needing to buy the strap (and buckle) for stupid money. Now it fits perfectly, but still hurting about the cost!
    I was referring to the newer bracelets with the GO style adjustable clasp. My mark xv bracelet sits in a drawer.

Journeyman

I the IWC bracelet has a micro adjustment.

I personally think the day date balances the second hand i.e. it is exactly opposite in the same position.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I was referring to the newer bracelets with the GO style adjustable clasp. My mark xv bracelet sits in a drawer.
    Yep sorry, misread which version you were mentioning. Incidentally while passing through Dubai airport yesterday I managed to try the new GO chrono on the bracelet. Best bracelet ever.

Craftsman
    Personally I am a fan of IWC.
    My Aquatimer something different from the norm.

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    My only IWC now, is my BP ,but I've been through a few, not much apart from the new portuguese Annual Calender in the range that attracts me to be honest. What's more disappointing from a personal view is the customer service with IWC which needs serious attention in my opinion .

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The only iwc i liked was the genta-esque ingenieur. The new one is nondescript to say the least.
    The rest seem to be a bit dinner plate.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The only iwc i liked was the genta-esque ingenieur. The new one is nondescript to say the least.
    The rest seem to be a bit dinner plate.
    Even with the Genta ones, they went super oversized too. The versions after my one with the in-house movements are absolutely massive. And in steel the ingenieurs are super heavy.

^^^Nice BP btw - still on my list to try.

Blog Entries
    I still miss my Aquatimer 2000/3536, what a good looking diver that was.
    Sold it before they became collectable :(

Their latest divers are just a shadow of what they produced in those days.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    I quite fancy the xv111 pilot watch. The one thing that makes me pause is the movement. There seems confusion over whether it is an eta 2892 movement or a Sellita . Anyone know the truth of this?

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I quite fancy the xv111 pilot watch. The one thing that makes me pause is the movement. There seems confusion over whether it is an eta 2892 movement or a Sellita . Anyone know the truth of this?
    Does it matter if ETA or Sellita?

Given the ETA limitations I can imagine they're trying to transit to Sellita, but again does it matter?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Even with the Genta ones, they went super oversized too. The versions after my one with the in-house movements are absolutely massive. And in steel the ingenieurs are super heavy.

^^^Nice BP btw - still on my list to try.
    You're quite right about the bloat. The 500,000 a/m 3521 is imo the nicest. And still looked chunky at 34mm

iwc give separate calibre numbers to Sellita and ETA movements, so there shouldn't be any confusion once you've the proper specs in front of you.

Was it the initial PR announcement that gave incorrect information?

Master
    Some reviews called it an eta 2982, modified, others referred to a 'Sellita' movement. It is listed as 30110 movement on the IWC site, which seems to mean it is an eta based movement.
    Does it matter? I don't know; but eta have a far longer history, and quite an illustrious one really. Sellita doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Some reviews called it an eta 2982, modified, others referred to a 'Sellita' movement. It is listed as 30110 movement on the IWC site, which seems to mean it is an eta based movement.
    Does it matter? I don't know; but eta have a far longer history, and quite an illustrious one really. Sellita doesn't.
    That's true, it came into existence more due to circumstance than anything else and architecture wise they seem quite similar.

Though IWC keep saying they strip all standard movements and do their 'IWC thang' so it shouldn't matter. Obviously that's assuming you buy into the IWC marketing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwave View Post

But that dial . . . . .
    I like this one also and can live with all the criticisms that others have made on this thread.

That's true, it came into existence more due to circumstance than anything else and architecture wise they seem quite similar.

Though IWC keep saying they strip all standard movements and do their 'IWC thang' so it shouldn't matter. Obviously that's assuming you buy into the IWC marketing
    For a few years they haven't been able to meddle with the ETA movements as they used to, but have been obliged to use them as they come. The 30110 is in the XVI and XVII as well.

The sellita movement is called the 35111, and is used in the 36mm Pilot (released at the same time as the Mark XVIII iirc, hence the initial confusion as to what movement was in what watch)

It is a SW300 (a 2892 clone) modified by Sellita to IWC's requirements (what those are, I've no idea)

Master
    Yep sorry, misread which version you were mentioning. Incidentally while passing through Dubai airport yesterday I managed to try the new GO chrono on the bracelet. Best bracelet ever.
    I love GO. It's a shame my wrist is so small that bigger German style dress watches are enormous in me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I still miss my Aquatimer 2000/3536, what a good looking diver that was.
    Sold it before they became collectable :(

Their latest divers are just a shadow of what they produced in those days.
    I sold mine after they stopped being collectible. That's still the highest quality watch I've ever owned, and I've had very many nice watches in the $10,000 or less range.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    I like this one also and can live with all the criticisms that others have made on this thread.
    What a vanilla world you seek. Try WUS. Everyone loves everything on there.

I love GO. It's a shame my wrist is so small that bigger German style dress watches are enormous in me.
    Jup an issue with GO, but maybe their differentiator from Lange and co.

The new chrono is quite thick, but wore quite well on the wrist. Overall a lovely, lovely watch!

Master
    What a vanilla world you seek. Try WUS. Everyone loves everything on there.
    I'm happy here and also happy to disagree with your opinion.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My Big Pilot 5002. Fish Crown
    Last edited by trident-7; 19th October 2017 at 00:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    I'm happy here and also happy to disagree with your opinion.
    My appologies. I read your initial post as that you could do without the criticism.

Sorry again.