closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple Watch Owners

Journeyman

Apple Watch Owners

Hi all,

I've been looking at a Series 2 apple watch but primarily for fitness tracking and to have music in the gym, without needing to take my phone with me.

I can't see an apple watch ever replacing my 'real' watches for day to day, so not sure if the purchase is kind of pointless?

Do any of you also use an apple watch purely for working out, has it performed as expected or do you think it would be a pointless purchase?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    I wanted one for ages but didn’t think I would use it. I bought one and lasted 2 weeks before selling it again. It just wasn’t for me and I tried to like it.
    In those 2 weeks I had several compliments on it, I think Ive only ever had 2 people compliment any of my watches in several years.

Journeyman
    Did you buy it for an everyday watch? What was your biggest gripe with it?

Master
    I thought it would be a great tool watch instead of my others. I had it set up with timers, moon phases, day date and a few other things which I thought I’d need. In the end what most annoyed me was the fact it was a black screen when you glanced at it. You had to make a concious effort on arm movement to make it wake. It’s a small gripe but it really annoyed me!
    My son loves his cheap I watch though! I made him pay towards it as handing it to him didnt sit well with me.

I’ve had mine for a few weeks now and not worn any of my other watches. I use mainly Strava for running and cycling and it works perfectly. Music is via Apple Music, which I currently have 6mth free trial, but you can only have one playlist on it. I assume you can use iTunes to send music to it but I don’t use iTunes!

The one time I did a gym session, kettlebells etc it didn’t register heart rate, calories etc, but I think that was because it wasn’t on tight enough for the HR to register.

I’m overall pleased with it, it does everything I want but I do miss my other watches. As an activity tracker I think it’s OK but has its limitations.

if you get a second hand one then you’re unlikely to lose much money if you don’t get on with it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbez View Post
    Did you buy it for an everyday watch? What was your biggest gripe with it?

Someone I know got rid because they hated it as a watch and loved everything else. Biggest problem as a watch was that you had to raise your wrist to see the time. Sounds daft, but they said it is hard to overestimate how often once looks at the time on your regular watch at an angle the Apple watch doesn't recognise. A good analogy/test they said was to try a G-Shock with the auto EL; if you don;t trigger the EL every-time you look at the G-Shock, then the Apple watch would be blank as well (thought the AW a bit better).

The point was not that the apple watch does not work most of the time, but on the few times you have to raise your wrist in a purposeful movement to get the display to activate, each time was really annoying. This is what I was told, not tried one myself cos even a £20 Seiko is not all glued together like an Apple watch ;)

Master
    I use my series 2 everyday. I also wear my others daily though. The "Workout" feature is good and it is a good way of keeping track and it also integrates with my gym's Technogym system. It is also great for texts, what's app etc but you need take the iPhone into the gym.

don't believe the haters.. :)

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    Someone I know got rid because they hated it as a watch and loved everything else. Biggest problem as a watch was that you had to raise your wrist to see the time. Sounds daft, but they said it is hard to overestimate how often once looks at the time on your regular watch at an angle the Apple watch doesn't recognise. A good analogy/test they said was to try a G-Shock with the auto EL; if you don;t trigger the EL every-time you look at the G-Shock, then the Apple watch would be blank as well (thought the AW a bit better). The point was not that the apple watch does not work most of the time, but on the few times you have to raise your wrist in a purposeful movement to get the display to activate, each time was really annoying. This is what I was told, not tried one myself cos even a £20 Seiko is not all glued together like an Apple watch ;)
    The intelligent wrist detection on the Apple Watch cannot be compared to the rattly ball bearing in a G-SHOCK.

FWIW, it's got even better in the most recent (S3) models.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbez;
    I can't see an apple watch ever replacing my 'real' watches for day to day, so not sure if the purchase is kind of pointless

No more pointless than buying a Garmin Forerunner and only using it for exercise (like I do)

Tried a Gen 1 and it was OK. When my Garmin dies I will be very tempted to go for an an Apple replacement - I prefer Strava to Garmin Connect, and would be able to use Zombies, Run on the watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    The intelligent wrist detection on the Apple Watch cannot be compared to the rattly ball bearing in a G-SHOCK.

FWIW, it's got even better in the most recent (S3) models.
    I'd have thought so! As I said, never tried it, but Loupe above was also annoyed by this. For example right now I am typing and I looked at the time while not moving my wrist from my keyboard. Every-time that didn't work with an apple watch would be v. annoying. I'm sure they'll get a battery one day that avoids this though...

Whether they'll stop gluing them together in Chinese sweatshops, well... https://www.cultofmac.com/321399/how...h-on-your-own/

I have one via my private medical, Vitality, as one of their activity trackers. It does an ok job, measures heart rate/distance covered/time spent on activity etc. I do Crossfit and it's not great for that, as it doesn't have a specific workout tracker for what I do but if you are into running, swimming, cycling etc then I don't think you can go wrong. I wouldn't buy one especially for tracking your workouts though as there are much better trackers out there for less money. If you are an Apple 'fan boy', then get one as it syncs nicely with the phone, lets you read messages, take calls etc on the watch. I wore mine for about 2 months when I first got it but then tired of not having a 'proper watch' on my wrist, so now only wear it when I'm working out/on long walks.

Journeyman
    A friend of mine has one, and is constantly looking at tweets/ Facebook/ instagram. I'm sure this is configurable, but I like to be away from all that sort of stuff sometimes, so it's not for me.