closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sterile dial homage yes or no

Journeyman

Sterile dial homage yes or no

I really fancy a bronze watch to add to the collection but don't want to spend a fortune. I have a Tudor BBR and like the style and I've seen a 41mm dare I use the word copy? of the Black Bay Bronze. It has the Miyota movement and seems to be worth the £100 price tag but I've always been dead against copies. Should I cast away my prejudices and just buy one or stick to my guns and not tarnish my collection with such a thing?

Alternatively what credible budget bronze watches are out there?

Craftsman
    Steinhart do both a light and dark bronze watch, and while I haven't seen one myself, they are supposed to be good (like most Steinharts I've seeen).

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/d...-1-bronze.html

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/d...ronze-612.html

Can't tell if the bronze is different or just the strap. I reckon it's the bronze itself.

Christopher Ward are also supposedly coming out with one in early 2018, which should be good (save the annoying logo). No ideas on price though.

Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    Steinhart do both a light and dark bronze watch, and while I haven't seen one myself, they are supposed to be good (like most Steinharts I've seeen).

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/d...-1-bronze.html

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/d...ronze-612.html

Can't tell if the bronze is different or just the strap. I reckon it's the bronze itself.

Christopher Ward are also supposedly coming out with one in early 2018, which should be good (save the annoying logo). No ideas on price though.
    Strap and bezel. The metal is the same.

Journeyman
    If it’s the one you want hen just get it, for a £100 I don’t think it’s too bad if it’ll last
    They normally come with Sapphire crystal as well
    Can’t see the reason on spending Steinhart Money as it a fair chunk, say 25% of a preowned Tudor, better off putting towards saving for one if that’s he end goal and make do with a cheapy homage.
    That’s my way of thinking anyway

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

See here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Corgeut-Review

I suspect the one you're looking at is a variation on this.

On the plus side, they're fairly well-made watches with decent movements.

On the minus side, while I thought the sterile dial would be enough to distance it, in my mind, from being a copy, it didn't. It served its purpose of allowing me to discover the Tudor BB's weren't for me, but after trying it on the once, it's sat undisturbed ever since. Too much of a copy for my liking.

If I were you I'd save my cash for the real deal (if that's what you want) or the Steinhart that is more distinctive, and avoid this. I wish I had.

Posted this not so long ago. Bit more than a ton, but better than a courgette 😂

https://tc-9watches.mysimplestore.com/products

Grand Master
    Can someone give me one good reason for buying a bronze watch?

Why not simply buy an old battered gold plated watch and spend an evening polishing the remaining gold plate off the case?

Paul

Journeyman
    Its this one
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/41mm-Japan...19.m1438.l2649

But I think I'm leaning towards the Helson Shark Diver.
    https://helsonwatches.com/shop.php#!...egory=22810078

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    See here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Corgeut-Review

I suspect the one you're looking at is a variation on this.

On the plus side, they're fairly well-made watches with decent movements.

On the minus side, while I thought the sterile dial would be enough to distance it, in my mind, from being a copy, it didn't. It served its purpose of allowing me to discover the Tudor BB's weren't for me, but after trying it on the once, it's sat undisturbed ever since. Too much of a copy for my liking.

If I were you I'd save my cash for the real deal (if that's what you want) or the Steinhart that is more distinctive, and avoid this. I wish I had.
    That write up is hilarious. I already have a Black Bay and like the look thats what made me look at this one. I cant justify spending Black bay sort of cash on what is really a gimmicky watch. The non hacking non winding movement could be a pain in the arse. My SKX007 every day beater is like that but isnt as much as a problem as it gets worn most days, I can see it being a pain in something that will only get occasional wear but for £100 and £20 or so for a strap thats not quite as bad as the POS that comes with it I can see it being a fun piece or do I stump up the £270 for the Helson?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sco77w View Post
    That write up is hilarious. I already have a Black Bay and like the look thats what made me look at this one. I cant justify spending Black bay sort of cash on what is really a gimmicky watch. The non hacking non winding movement could be a pain in the arse. My SKX007 every day beater is like that but isnt as much as a problem as it gets worn most days, I can see it being a pain in something that will only get occasional wear but for £100 and £20 or so for a strap thats not quite as bad as the POS that comes with it I can see it being a fun piece or do I stump up the £270 for the Helson?
    I'd say go for the Helson for a number of reasons. 1: The homage (copy) plus a decent strap is nearly half the price of the Helson. 2: The Helson isn't a copy, although it may have drawn inspiration from other watches, it's a standalone. 3: I had a tiger concept bb copy myself, pretty well made actually, but not waterproof, and didn't wear it out on the fairly remote chance that it's noticed by someone like us!
    I've had two Helson watches, one sold on here recently (bigger model and too big for me), and the brass one you are looking at (with red carbon dial). Didn't get to keep it long unfortunately, the wife decided it was too blingy despite my protestations that the brass would age. Helson, or you'll likely end up taking a hit like I did on my copy.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Evanssprky View Post
    I'd say go for the Helson for a number of reasons. 1: The homage (copy) plus a decent strap is nearly half the price of the Helson. 2: The Helson isn't a copy, although it may have drawn inspiration from other watches, it's a standalone. 3: I had a tiger concept bb copy myself, pretty well made actually, but not waterproof, and didn't wear it out on the fairly remote chance that it's noticed by someone like us!
    I've had two Helson watches, one sold on here recently (bigger model and too big for me), and the brass one you are looking at (with red carbon dial). Didn't get to keep it long unfortunately, the wife decided it was too blingy despite my protestations that the brass would age. Helson, or you'll likely end up taking a hit like I did on my copy.
    This is pretty much what I was thinking, I'll be going for the Helson and hope I can get it to age

Master
    A few dips in the sea should do it nicely. Character building for you and the watch this time of year :)

Sent from my SM-A300FU using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sco77w View Post
    This is pretty much what I was thinking, I'll be going for the Helson and hope I can get it to age

Journeyman
    After reading the listing for the Tudor homage i'm out. the case is described as stainless steel, rose gold plated.

Helson it is.