closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Things you miss about the technology in the ‘old days’...

Proper handbrakes in cars. I doubt my Kids will ever experience the fun that could be had with a decent handbrake turn in a snowy icy car park.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I miss the sounds of an old office.
    The clack of typewriter or old IBM model M keyboards.
    The clatter of daisywheel printers.
    The ripping noise of a dot matrix printer at full chat.
    Old telephones ringing and being slammed down with that little ting at the end of a call.
    The office monkey standing in the corner cranking the decalator.
    Swapping winchester platters.
    Loading reel to reel tapes onto machines.
    The smell of old 'photocopied' paper that was always purple.

The original Pager.... the very early ones which had no message functions they just bleeped. Supplied by the person/business that supplied the pager.
    It bleeped, so you then called them from a pay phone.

The quietness of the garden. You used to hear the odd snip of the shears, or a mower being pushed. Now it's jet washers, mowers, leafblowers and hedge trimmers buzzing all afternoon.

The typing pool full of girls.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Space invader/Brick breaker machines in pubs, plus the old 45 single duke box.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Jukebox.

Apprentice
    Don't consider myself THAT old but I do feel some nostalgia when it comes to walkmans.

I quite miss four channels of TV, mostly drifting off into weird repeats (Prisoner Cell Block H) or cult US TV shows (Larry Sanders) as the night wore on, ultimately shutting off around midnight.

We've just moved house and the TV has been disconnected for a fortnight whilst we have some electrical and decorative work done. What's been nice has been that my wife and I have had the time to sit and talk to each other at night without the background distraction of the TV and the chore of finding something decent to watch amongst the multiple satellite channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    You could've learned to dial by striking the impulses with the switch in the receiver cradle.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I used to do that. I seem to remember trying it in a public call box. Can't remember if it was a free call though.
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Yes, it was!! :0)
    It wasn't free, all it did was mimic the impulses from the rotary dialler. You still had to put money in the slot when the call was connected!

When I was a teenager I worked as a postman for a couple of years and as part of our duties we had to remove the coinboxes from public call boxes and replace them with empty ones. The only perk I ever had was free calls when I'd removed the coinbox, you still had to put coins in but they just dropped into the void where the box lived so you could endlessly recycle the same 10p

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    What's been nice has been that my wife and I have had the time to sit and talk to each other at night without the background distraction of the TV...
    Whilst that's all very well and admirable I suspect that, to some of our illustrious contributors, it would be hell on earth.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    The quietness of the garden. You used to hear the odd snip of the shears, or a mower being pushed. Now it's jet washers, mowers, leafblowers and hedge trimmers buzzing all afternoon.
    Even children are louder. Can't seem to play w/o screaming at each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    It wasn't free, all it did was mimic the impulses from the rotary dialler. You still had to put money in the slot when the call was connected!

When I was a teenager I worked as a postman for a couple of years and as part of our duties we had to remove the coinboxes from public call boxes and replace them with empty ones. The only perk I ever had was free calls when I'd removed the coinbox, you still had to put coins in but they just dropped into the void where the box lived so you could endlessly recycle the same 10p
    Anyone remember the 'trick' of dialling a number (16?) which caused the phone to ring?

Are there still such test numbers?

There was an 8110 in Matrix. As far as I could see the only difference to the production model was that the movie version had a spring loaded sliding flap in it. That never made it to the stores.

Edit:

My boss had one and I'm fairly sure it was spring loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    My boss had one and I'm fairly sure it was spring loaded.
    I'd be quite happy to chuck twenty quid into the fundraiser if you can show some proof of a once commercially available Nokia made spring loaded 8810 8110. A tenner if it was widely available aftermarket mod.
    Last edited by Possu; 18th October 2017 at 20:19. Reason: model #

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    The typing pool full of girls.
    I miss the whole pre-email world.

Sending your scribble to the typing pool in the certainty that you could forget that particular issue until it came back.

A pile of post dumped in your tray in the morning and another in the afternoon and the certainty that after that nothing else could to disturb you.

Mini disc machines. Still have several for recording radio shows and they are great.

I'd be quite happy to chuck twenty quid into the fundraiser if you can show some proof of a once commercially available Nokia made spring loaded 8810. A tenner if it was widely available aftermarket mod.
    The spring loaded one was the 7110 I think.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    The spring loaded one was the 7110 I think.
    Yes, that one came after the 8110 that was the Matrix phone. Not the same model and it doesn't look the same. (I had the model # wrong in my previous post, I'll go back and edit.)

1950's Prestcold fridge
    1980's Tricity microwave

Oh, hang on, I don't miss them. I still use them.

Attached Images Attached Images