closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bladerunner 2049 discuss (Thread may contain spoilers)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Bladerunner 2049 discuss (Thread may contain spoilers)

OK, I went to see this last night at the IMAX Waterloo in 3D, and I know there a lot of fans of the original on here, so its worth a thread to discuss it I think,

first off, by far the best movie I have ever seen in 3D, and this is coming from someone who is not a fan of 3D.

I went in not expecting it to be as good or better than the original, that would have been foolish IMHO, but had high hopes and was really looking forward to it,

I tried really hard not to compare it to the original, but as most of the story line is based around the first movie, it was hard not too.

compared to the original, that had a multi faceted story line, I found this very linear and slow in parts,

visually and sound wise I found it absolutely stunning, and was blown away by the look and feel of the movie.

acting wise I am not a fan of Ryan Gosling, but liked him in 'Drive' and to be fair he only had to 'be Gosling' and do a Keanu to act it out, the rest of the cast were very good and didnt grate on my at all.

overall I enjoyed it, but felt a little let down with it, and felt it was released as a foundation for sequels, with chances to expand on the rebellion story line missed, and also what had happened to Deckard and Rachael in the years after Bladerunner? again a lost chance to expand on the story since then.

so who has seen it, what did you think? and how quickly did you get the ending? I got it a few minutes after we seen the character in her bubble.

I will watch it again at home when its released, to make another judgement, but dont think I would ever watch it as many times as I have seen the original.
    Last edited by soundood; 25th October 2017 at 16:39.

I was getting quite annoyed with the spoon feeding regarding Gosling's character but the real reveal brought a smile to my face. Although, I'm embarrassed to admit that I fell asleep during the first hour for around 10 minutes but I didn't miss anything critical :s

I never enjoyed or was a fan of the first movie, it all seemed too slow and boring. Hopefully this will be better.

Just too long! As a piece of cinematography, it was very good but they really did draw it out.

it would certainly help if you’d seen the original recently prior to watching this one.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Just too long! As a piece of cinematography, it was very good but they really did draw it out.

it would certainly help if you’d seen the original recently prior to watching this one.
    agreed on both parts, I would not have minded if the length of the movie was justified by the story content, but it wasnt. it seemed to be a reach around from Producer/Directer/Cinematographer/set designer/CGI as to who, if not all could get most screen time,

and yes a recent watch of Bladerunner would help, and nice to see a few cameo's, pity the one at the end was CGI, which I thought was the best I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    pity the one at the end was CGI, which I thought was the best I have seen.
    Indeed. I also thought the analogue/digital girl overlay scene was extremely well done.

I was amazed to learn that today's Sean Young played in this film. They digitally made her face younger to match how she looked 35 years ago!

I very rarely bother with a 3D version, and have possibly only bothered with two in ten years.
    However, I could imagine this being excellent.
    Any further thoughts?

When Gosling's holographic playmate was on the blink after the crash landing, she reminded me of Max Headroom.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I very rarely bother with a 3D version, and have possibly only bothered with two in ten years.
    However, I could imagine this being excellent.
    Any further thoughts?
    3D is off the scale compared to all others I have seen, but is suspect thats were the budget went, as the story mildly entertaining at best.

I saw it last night in 2D IMAX, albeit not a proper IMAX screen. I think it's known as lieMAX. Anyway, the sound and cinematography was brilliant. What a gorgeous film. There were plenty of shots that would work well as a decent still, poster or print.

Story was a little slow. Overall I really enjoyed it.

I do think you're right, it was left open with numerous storylines left for prequels, sequels or side movies.

Definitely worth a watch in the cinema.

Master

Bladrunner 2049 discuss (Thread may contain spoilers)

I think it succeeds in expanding the Blade Runner world and isn't an insult to the original, which is a huge achievement in itself. The long, slow pacing gives it an epic, monumental and ultimately quite dreamlike, trancey feel, though the pacing suffers a little due to this. I miss some of the action and immediacy, and the bustle and density of the street in the original.

Nonetheless it has its own intense atmosphere and some great concepts and characters, including Joi and the wonderfully unhinged Luv. The plot is clever in giving K an authentically Blade Runner existential crisis, which is perhaps emphasised at the expense of some of the more b-movie noir genre beats of the original. At the same time though, it cleverly references and plays with the original in many ways, from the visuals and sound design, to the characters and themes. Joi is a neat, and actually quite bold addition.

I had to watch it twice to make up my mind. IMAX 2d and standard aspect 3D. There was so much more detail in IMAX. Standard non-IMAX 3D adds little over 2D, but oddly it feels more like Blade Runner in a standard aspect ratio, the composition is tighter. Deakins recommends 2D standard aspect, though they worked hard to make it a good 3D transfer. I would like to try the IMAX 3D but wouldn't bother on a small screen.

Ultimately it could have failed in so many ways and dumbed Blade Runner down to basic franchise sequel level and it doesn't, It's ambitious and bold which is a huge relief. The pacing is Wagnerian - which is to say there are some great moments and some long bits - but it rewards repeated viewing and is an amazing piece of work in its own right, that succeeds at a near impossible task. I'm already looking forward to more.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 9th October 2017 at 08:30.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post

I do think you're right, it was left open with numerous storylines left for prequels, sequels or side movies.
    Do you know there are three mini-prequels on Youtube called Bladerunners, not trailers or teasers just short side stories?

Here they are - the first is a Manga-like animation but the second two are shorts with actors from the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I'm already looking forward to more.

I think you'll get your more with Denis Villeneuve directing the new screen adaptation of Dune.

Could have trimmed about 15 minutes from it and improved the pacing, but otherwise I thought it was brilliant. Definitely the best film I have seen this year, and probably for a while, actually. I liked but didn't love the original. This new one expands on everything I liked about the first. My only complaint is the run time is a tad too long, and the voice over "flash backs" (which I didn't like in the first, either) didn't need to be in there. Otherwise it is visually stunning, incredible sounds and score, and the story is brilliant. A worthy sequel. I'm planning to see it again before it's cinema run ends.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I think you'll get your more with Denis Villeneuve directing the new screen adaptation of Dune.
    Oh wow, I hadn't noticed that. I can imagine him doing a great job there. The trick is making a man riding a giant sand worm look good but I trust him! And working around the political resonances which have changed significantly since the 70s, as they have in that Bond film where he helps the heroic and romantic Afghan rebels against the Russians.

Master
    I put this in the movie thread but my view:

Saw Blade Runner today. Visually one of the best movies I have ever seen and the sound was stunning. All the actors were superb as well. As an experience it was quite something.

I did struggle to connect with the characters and story though and it could have done with being 30 mins shorter just to tighten it up a bit.

Over all amazing piece of film making but sadly fell a bit short for me in terms of a real connection (huge fan of the almost perfect original!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know there are three mini-prequels on Youtube called Bladerunners, not trailers or teasers just short side stories?

Here they are - the first is a Manga-like animation but the second two are shorts with actors from the movie.

I didn't know. Thanks for the link. I'll watch them later.

I'll say that I enjoyed it, but comparing it to the original is a losing proposition. It lacks the atmosphere and dirty grittiness. And Vangelis.

The story was far too straightforward, especially for the running time. I watched the original (but the only version I could find was the original release) on Friday before seeing 2049 on Saturday, first time for a few years. There were two tiny tiny clues to Deckard being a replicant in that, as opposed to this one which gave that up immediately, but then proceeded to not really ask any new metaphysical questions at all.

I don't understand why some of the plot was so unbelievable(!), Luv having free reign to wander in and out of the cop shop murdering at will, why Wallace was just left out at the end, how was Joe able to just shoot down all those cars (yet got shot down so so easily himself), where did the replicant army get all the money to build that memory institute? Having bits in that weren't even questions, let alone answers (the bees).

Where were the memorable lines? No "All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain" worthy bits. Cells Interlinked. Whoop.

Worth watching, though, looked great.

There was no point in the film where I thought it was running too long. It seemed just right to me. However, I must admit that I knew going in the run time was 2:41 and I correspondingly only sipped on a small cup of water during the film.
    Last edited by pacifichrono; 9th October 2017 at 19:52.

Master
    I went to see the original when i was a kid of about 13-14 and it’s stayed one of my favourite movies since then.
    Rewatched it on friday and went to to the cinema for the latest one on saturday with a bit of trepidation, i needn’t have. I thought it was superb, the cinematography was stunning, the sound was superb and i felt it was well timed too.

I enjoyed it greatly. The slow pace and stunning visuals give you a bit of time to contemplate the theme of what it means to be human or at least a conscious being of some sort.

Watched it in an otherwise empty cinema yesterday afternoon; the original is my favourite movie of all time, so my excitement was mixed with nervousness.

I needn't have worried... what an outstanding piece of work. Beautifully shot and with another gorgeous soundtrack, I thought it was completely faithful, and respectful, to the original whilst still being compelling in an almost hypnotic way. I certainly didn't find it too long, albeit that it could perhaps have had a few minutes shaved off.

In a way, I'd like it to stop with this one, although I can see that a sequel could be possible.

Highly recommended!!!

Master
    Very disappointing.

Managed to get to the cinema this afternoon to see it.

I love it.

The pace and length are just right. I like the story line, acting, special effects and soundtrack. In fact there isnt anything I dont like!

I'm going to watch it again on the big screen at the weekend.

Red face

I liked it a lot and am planning to watch it again at the cinema next week (but in 3D - apparently brilliant).

One thing that I found a bit odd was how easy it was for them to pop in and out (unchallenged) of that research facility where the dream-maker chick was being held. You'd think they'd be someone in Reception at least. :)

Some of the product/brand placement was a bit grating but par for the course these days I suppose. At least bloody Audi didn't manage to get in there as usual (replaced by Peugeot)!
    Last edited by The Hack; 12th October 2017 at 22:11.

Master
    I had zero hope for it. The reports I’m hearing however, gave me seconds thoughts, so I thought I'd go if the D-Box cinema was screening it. They're not, so I won't bother.

Rob.

Master
    8.5/10.

I agree with most comments. The missing 1.5 comes from the characters' lack of charisma (unlike original), unmemorable dialogue (unlike original), overly derivative score, plodding pace.

I really enjoyed it and doubt it could have been done much better by anyone else, after all, where are the young Ridleys?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    8.5/10.

I agree with most comments. The missing 1.5 comes from the characters' lack of charisma (unlike original), unmemorable dialogue (unlike original), overly derivative score, plodding pace.

I really enjoyed it and doubt it could have been done much better by anyone else, after all, where are the young Ridleys?
    Villeneuve isn’t that old. I think he’s younger than Scott was on the original Blade Runner.

As for the acting I think its a career best for Ford. Ford is always completely believable in his characters. Indiana Jones could never be mistaken for Han Solo or Deckard . He’s very different in all his characters but never showey about it. He’s a good actor.

Gosling I think has played a replicant in all his films anyway. Drive is like Blade Runner 2009.

Many many scenes and imagery stay with me and I’ve only seen the film once. Its a great film, gets under the skin.

And whatever deficiencies in the plot its still luxurious just to watch the imagery from Deakins. Some astounding work in there, but I think he’s the best ever dop in human history. Pardon the pun but nobody can hold a candle to him... I’m sure he gets his own way though in tetms of dhooting barting mother nature.

1 more thing to add. Having watched it once and knowing the outcome it will be worth repeated watches looking for the details. That's a sign of a good film.

Nice to see Seiko survives until 2049.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Nice to see Seiko survives until 2049.
    And Atari 😁

Red face

Atari featured in the original film so they probably wanted some continuity. Luckily there’s no ‘Trump Tower’. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    And Atari 

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    And Atari 
    And PanAm

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Let's face it,the original Blade Runner tended to be a bit polarising.Either you loved it or thought it was a load of pretentious tosh. Personally it is one of my all time favourite films so I was quite looking forward to see how 2049 panned out. At no time did I feel it was too slow...In fact I quite liked the pacing of the film;it all seemed appropriate. As has been mentioned,the cinematography was superb and the soundtrack perfect-it all echoed the feel of the original but felt freshly done.
    No it wasn't perfect,yes there were open ends but overall I thought it was a really good film.

Master
    And PanAm
    Ah but Atari still exists as a recognisable company brand. Pan Am not so.

I've just bought a ticket for this evening. An IMAX 2D 'VIP' seat cost $10.20 which seems reasonable and will at least be comfortable if I doze off!

Well, I thought it was great. Off to bed now, to perhaps dream of electric sheep...

Journeyman
    Loved the original, although principally the voiceover version. Can't wait to see the new one.

Craftsman
    Really enjoyed it last night in 3D. Beautiful images & sound that connect well with the original. Story was fine too. I think it is interesting that this version - just like the original - isn’t doing too well at the box office. But given the critical response (which is much better than the original got at the time) this is definitely a future classic.

Master
    Just back from seeing it in the IMAX in 2D. Really enjoyed it with the original being one of my favourites of all time. I thought it a worthy sequel. The storyline follows on pretty well with a bit of latitude. It also has nuances, homages and the odd cameo that nod to the original. The cinematograpgy and sound is excellent. Whilst it could be shorter it did not drag for me which is always a good sign. It also shows given the disparity in time between the two how well the effects of the original were conceived and done. Hopefully I can also look forward to one of the gismos to super impose Ana De Amas over the wife....:-)

I watched this as a '4D' experience. That was weird and seemed to fit the weirdness of the film too. Cinematically the film was amazing and the first parts were great. However the storyline wasn't really for me overall. Good film overall though.

I've just returned from my second viewing in three days (one 2D, one 3D).

I think it's an astonishing film.

Master

Smile

I think may need this before I understand it,but did feel was a good film.

Grand Master
    I enjoyed it overall, the visuals were great and the little touches were good too, but it did seem to have a bit of a weird plot around it, the 'baddies' reminded me a bit of the original Kingsman baddies, which is a bit weird in something like this!

For a movie that was almost 3 hours it also didn't really give us much of a proper ending, by that i mean with some of the things it had fleshed out during the film, that didn't really turn into anything, either there's some sort of sequel, which wouldn't be that good of a thing i fear, as it would have to be another completely different cast and direction for me, or there is going to be a 4 hour long director's cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    I enjoyed it overall, the visuals were great and the little touches were good too, but it did seem to have a bit of a weird plot around it, the 'baddies' reminded me a bit of the original Kingsman baddies, which is a bit weird in something like this!

For a movie that was almost 3 hours it also didn't really give us much of a proper ending, by that i mean with some of the things it had fleshed out during the film, that didn't really turn into anything, either there's some sort of sequel, which wouldn't be that good of a thing i fear, as it would have to be another completely different cast and direction for me, or there is going to be a 4 hour long director's cut.
    I think we've been spoilt in this day an age of outstanding TV story telling - in 10 episodes. Our expectations of what we want out of a story is a lot higher and lets be honest they cannot cram that expectation in a movie.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I think we've been spoilt in this day an age of outstanding TV story telling - in 10 episodes. Our expectations of what we want out of a story is a lot higher and lets be honest they cannot cram that expectation in a movie.

Yeah, but i bet Jared Leto must be getting annoyed that he's getting cast in huge films in a lead role, but his characters never really get as much screen time or fleshing out as they should, this was the one thing i wondered about the film, his character just wasn't given the screen time or importance that a character like that should have been given.

I've just watched the original Director's Cut again. It is still utterly utterly brilliant. I have two questions.

1. Why does the original in 1982 still look and feel more futuristic than the new one.

2. What is this watch?

I've looked on the internet and on the forum. There must be someone on here who knows.

Cant help with the watch I'm afraid but I finished watching the directors cut about half an hour ago and totally agree with you.

Bladrunner 2049 discuss (Thread may contain spoilers)

I suspect we aren't alone (about the watch and the film).