closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Patience paid off - BLNR

Craftsman

Patience paid off - BLNR

In advance of big birthday I have been checking at T5 Rolex for a BLNR for almost 12 months, with no success. Yesterday when passing through I asked the usual question expecting a shake of the head but was told "Yes sir - we have one!". Ding dong - purchase made at RRP. Sadly they would not hold it until I flew outside Europe but then again I had no trips planned. Anyway mission accomplished and I am happy man.

Patience paid off.......

You lose nothing by asking...

Well done.

Master
    Well done i am waiting the call for my Rolex SD43 at RRP but i am third on the list but i can wait.

Blog Entries
    Well done for getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by ru55 View Post
    Ding dong - purchase made at RRP. Sadly they would not hold it until I flew outside Europe but then again I had no trips planned.
    I was under the impression that they discounted by the equivalent of the VAT even if you were flying within the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post

I was under the impression that they discounted by the equivalent of the VAT even if you were flying within the EU.
    As far as I am aware not with Rolex. I.e. they only discount the brands that they would end up discounting by a like amount in a high street AD. Just saves the hassle of haggling for a discount.

Master

Sadly no. T5 Rolex Boutique is owned by WoS. They'll discount pretty much every brand by 20% with the exception of Rolex and Tudor.

They'll maybe hold you a Datejust but definitely not a Sports model in Stainless Steel. I happened across a Hulk last year. The assistant said she'd just put it out when I sauntered in and that it would be sold within two hours.

I was desperately trying to book a one way flight to Zurich to get the 20% off whilst in the shop.....bloody BA App wouldn't let me as I was already checked in to a flight to Italy, well I think that was why.

When I walked by an hour later it had gone....been kicking myself ever since

Apprentice

Nothing sweeter.

Nothing sweeter than getting the hard to come by watches at RRP rather than giving the usual dealers their mark ups.

Well done.

D.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Sadly no. T5 Rolex Boutique is owned by WoS. They'll discount pretty much every brand by 20% with the exception of Rolex and Tudor.
    The T3 WoS do knock off the 20% for their Rolex watches. Here's a pic I took back in August.

Craftsman

Patience paid off - BLNR

That's a tax free price, not a discount. You only get the lower price if you're flying outside Europe.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Well done! Always worth asking.

Martyn

Master
    Blog Entries
    this comes up so often, answer is the same.

For Rolex/Tudor if flying in the eu its rrp, if flying out of the eu then its tax free, not discounted, you paid no vat. This is different for other brands and they check your boarding pass.

Bring the rolex/tudor back to the UK and you should be declaring it and paying the vat, whether you do is up to you.

Its been like this for a long time now.

Anyway, glad you got the blnr at retail, congrats

Lucky guy! Very well done

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    As far as I am aware not with Rolex. I.e. they only discount the brands that they would end up discounting by a like amount in a high street AD. Just saves the hassle of haggling for a discount.
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Doh, yes, thanks. I got confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post

For Rolex/Tudor if flying in the eu its rrp, if flying out of the eu then its tax free, not discounted, you paid no vat. This is different for other brands and they check your boarding pass.

Bring the rolex/tudor back to the UK and you should be declaring it and paying the vat, whether you do is up to you.

Pretty sure it's been discussed before, and that's not the case. They discount by the vat if leaving the EU, vat is paid and doesn't need to be paid on return. Iirc there's a chap on here that's purchased this way (ryan?)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Pretty sure it's been discussed before, and that's not the case. They discount by the vat if leaving the EU, vat is paid and doesn't need to be paid on return. Iirc there's a chap on here that's purchased this way (ryan?)
    I think that what Kash is saying is correct for Heathrow. [Updated: Crossed out sentence is wrong. See messages below.]

I think that what you are thinking of is Schiphol where Gassan will discount Rolex to the equivalent of VAT if flying within the EU but sell VAT-free if flying outside the EU. If I remember correctly.

I was confused earlier.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 7th October 2017 at 19:40. Reason: Updated

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    The T3 WoS do knock off the 20% for their Rolex watches. Here's a pic I took back in August.
    Is that a used Explorer II? Look at the bezel numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Is that a used Explorer II? Look at the bezel numbers!
    There looks to be a bezel protector on it

I think that what Kash is saying is correct for Heathrow.

I think that what you are thinking of is Schiphol where Gassan will discount Rolex to the equivalent of VAT if flying within the EU but sell VAT-free if flying outside the EU. If I remember correctly.

I was confused earlier.
    Hmm. Conflicting info! Be interesting to hear from someone who's bought from them on that basis.

Master

Thats not correct Kash. Flying ex-EU the price is discounted to be the equivalent of vat free, but you still pay vat and get a vat receipt. I've done this with a Platona and a DD40. In neither case would I have taken the risk of getting stung for import tax, but there was no risk because I had a UK vat receipt.
    Last edited by cmcm3; 7th October 2017 at 19:26.

Blog Entries
    In advance of big birthday I have been checking at T5 Rolex for a BLNR for almost 12 months, with no success. Yesterday when passing through I asked the usual question expecting a shake of the head but was told "Yes sir - we have one!". Ding dong - purchase made at RRP. Sadly they would not hold it until I flew outside Europe but then again I had no trips planned. Anyway mission accomplished and I am happy man.

Patience paid off.......
    Brilliant, just love you got one like that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Hmm. Conflicting info! Be interesting to hear from someone who's bought from them on that basis.
    As far as I can see, there is no conflicting info between Kash and myself. To the best of my knowledge, he is correct about Rolex from Heathrow. [Updated: Crossed out sentence is wrong. See messages below.] Rolex sold by Gassan at Schiphol is another matter.

However, the following appears to conflict with Kash's comment:-

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Thats not correct Kash. Flying ex-EU the price is discounted to be the equivalent of vat free, but you still pay vat and get a vat receipt. I've done this with a Platona and a DD40. In neither case would I have taken the risk of getting stung for import tax, but there was no risk because I had an UK vat receipt.
    For the avoidance of doubt, which airport is this from?
    Last edited by markrlondon; 7th October 2017 at 19:39. Reason: Updated

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    There looks to be a bezel protector on it
    Does that make the paint in the numbers disappear?

Master
    As far as I can see, there is no conflicting info between Kash and myself. To the best of my knowledge, he is correct about Rolex from Heathrow. Rolex sold by Gassan at Schiphol is another matter.

However, the following appears to conflict with Kash's comment:-

For the avoidance of doubt, which airport is this from?
    Heathrow T5 both times.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats not correct Kash. Flying ex-EU the price is discounted to be the equivalent of vat free, but you still pay vat and get a vat receipt. I've done this with a Platona and a DD40. In neither case would I have taken the risk of getting stung for import tax, but there was no risk because I had an UK vat receipt.
    From the airport I traveled out of it was the case and the case for the OP. You must have been from a different store and or terminal.

Seems they don’t all operate the same.

I think that what Kash is saying is correct for Heathrow.

I was confused earlier.
    How many have you bought from Heathrow?

I’m inclined to believe cmcm3 on this given his recent purchases.

Patience paid off.......
    I was flying back from Houston this morning and asked the same question. They told me about the BLNR that went yesterday!!!! Missed it by 24 hrs, and I would have been discounted, win some lose some

Blog Entries
    Heathrow T5 both times.
    Thanks.

I am reminded that your experience is the same as ryanb741's experience when flying from Heathrow outside of the EU. I.e. The price you pay is discounted by the VAT equivalent but VAT is still charged.

Ryanb741's comments on flying from Heathrow outside of the EU can be read here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4489404, http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4489432 and http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4489692

From the airport I traveled out of it was the case and the case for the OP. You must have been from a different store and or terminal.
    Where did you travel from?
    Last edited by markrlondon; 7th October 2017 at 19:38.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it was Heathrow but not sure which terminal. I sold the Tudor on here and gave the receipt and vat payment proof to the purchaser. Was about 2 years ago I think.

Surely if it’s just discount why the big deal about flying out the eu, that makes no sense unless it really is the vat that’s not being paid.

Blog Entries
    I think it was Heathrow but not sure which terminal. I sold the Tudor on here and gave the receipt and vat payment proof to the purchaser. Was about 2 years ago I think.

Surely if it’s just discount why the big deal about flying out the eu, that makes no sense unless it really is the vat that’s not being paid.
    Well, rules can and do change over time.

I agree that it's an odd policy, considering that the vendor could legitimately sell VAT-free even to British/EU travellers flying outside of the EU. However, it's certainly a good thing that they have this policy. It makes life much simpler for British/EU citizens returning with a watch they purchased on their outbound ex-EU trip.

Master
    DD40 was in August 2017 and Platty was Nov 2016. Can't speak for what happened before that or at other airports.

[s]

I was confused earlier.
    Pretty sure the Submariner I bought in 2012, from Gassan, was bought on that basis. (discount of same amount as VAT)

Master
    When in T5 in the summer I looked at a WG sky dweller on bracelet and the sales lady offered me a discount equivalent to no vat, and I had made crystal that I was flying within the EU. She also stated that they would not discount SS sports models.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I am convinced that's why the explorer 2 is a bad seller.

Pictures always look crap.

I ummed and arrd about getting one until I seen it in the flesh.

Every picture I saw on new ones looked like the paint on the bezel was chipped or faded

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    I was flying back from Houston this morning and asked the same question. They told me about the BLNR that went yesterday!!!! Missed it by 24 hrs, and I would have been discounted, win some lose some
    Nae luck - beat you to it but i have "lost" 4/5 BLRNs over the last year in similar circumstances - just keep asking and some time you will be lucky. Shame i could not have had it discounted (but still VAT paid as others have pointed out).

Master
    2x 116520 Daytona’s in 2015 at Schiphol Airport was my lucky day. £6350 each.

Craftsman
    i was also told that T5 NEVER get any stainless steel daytonas in stock - they have lots of precious metal stuff.

Happy to be corrected! It is my next grail....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    2x 116520 Daytona’s in 2015 at Schiphol Airport was my lucky day. £6350 each.
    I was there about 10 days ago and not a sausage, quite a barren display in Gassan.

Will have another look in a few weeks.

Well, rules can and do change over time.

I agree that it's an odd policy, considering that the vendor could legitimately sell VAT-free even to British/EU travellers flying outside of the EU. However, it's certainly a good thing that they have this policy. It makes life much simpler for British/EU citizens returning with a watch they purchased on their outbound ex-EU trip.
    They could only sell VAT free for permanent export from the EU surely ? Knowing it was going to be re-imported in a few days would make it tricky selling VAT free I expect.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    They could only sell VAT free for permanent export from the EU surely ? Knowing it was going to be re-imported in a few days would make it tricky selling VAT free I expect.

That's not their responsibility, or interest - really.

They adhere to the rules

Thats not correct Kash. Flying ex-EU the price is discounted to be the equivalent of vat free, but you still pay vat and get a vat receipt. I've done this with a Platona and a DD40. In neither case would I have taken the risk of getting stung for import tax, but there was no risk because I had a UK vat receipt.
    Just to confirm then you flew out of the EU from Heathrow and your receipt listed correct VAT amount paid?

Master
    I think the thing to remember here is that platinum daytonas and dd40s can be heavily discounted when buying thru a regular AD. SS Daytonas, Subs and GMTs are a different matter. Why discount something that can be sold at full RRP.

Blog Entries
    Ha that's hilarious, I was passing though T5 on Saturday 7th enquiring about the Batman and they told me they had one in the previous day and they had been so happy that they had managed to sell it to a chap who had been asking on numerous occasions. It was you!

I was obviously gutted to have just missed out but happy nonetheless that your patience was rewarded. Well done!

Edit: just reading the rest of the posts he did mention you paid full retail and I couldn't work out why, makes sense. All the more gutting he would have charge me £5450 as was flying out the EU!
    Last edited by ~dadam02~; 11th October 2017 at 11:25.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    No, the point of duty free vendors is that they can sell free of VAT and Duty even to EU citizens as long as they are flying to destinations outside of the EU. The item is being exported outside the EU, so quite rightly no VAT or Duty is due on it. There is no presumption that the vendor can or will know if or when the goods will be returning to the EU (note the goods, not the person).

It is up to the buyer to declare the item on which VAT (and possibly Customs Duty or Excise Duty) has not been paid on return to the EU, if indeed they do bring it back into the EU within the relevant period of time.

In the case of watches, only VAT is of concern.

I infer from some people's experiences that some vendors of some products at some locations differentiate between EU citizens and non-EU citizens for people flying to destinations outside the EU (and discount by the equivalent of VAT for EU citizens but sell VAT-free to non-EU citizens) but, to the best of my knowledge, this is a policy decision rather than a legislatorial requirement[1]. I can understand it being company policy: In practice, the vast majority of EU citizens will be bringing goods like watches they bought in 'duty free' back into the EU so this policy avoids complaints about unexpected extra tax having to be paid on return. Perhaps the vendors are willing to live with the discount to avoid the complaints.

Footnote:-
    1: It certainly used not to be a legislatorial requirement in this scenario, unless the law has changed. Can anyone confirm one way or another?
    Last edited by markrlondon; 11th October 2017 at 12:20.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Currently in Schiphol and just had a long chat with the lovely staff at Gassan/ Rolex. They had a white Daytona ceramic 116500 two days ago, a SS SkyDweller and a SD50. Looks like I was 48hrs too late! Nicely stocked cabinet today though, not much SS except an Explorer and the usual Milgauss GV/ Z Blue, Explorer 2 with white and black dials, etc