closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The watch that got you into watches

Seiko titanium perpetual calendar with a grey face from 25 years ago maybe more, maybe that's why I now wear a grey faced AT8500, kind of similar appearance

Master
    Definitely this one. I had a basic knowledge that Rolex , Omega , Breitling were very expensive and that Tag was pretty expensive and trendy.
    I just liked the look of this one

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Seiko titanium perpetual calendar with a grey face from 25 years ago maybe more, maybe that's why I now wear a grey faced AT8500, kind of similar appearance
    Seems to me that Seiko are the Gateway for lots of us into this hobby.

Journeyman
    For me, it was a 1990s Zenith.
    IMG_0138.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

My dad's Rolex GMT Master bought for him by his first wife back in the mid-60s.

I was mesmerised by the sweeping hand growing up in the 80s when ticking quartzes were everywhere.

It was the main reason I sought out and bought a GMT Master (2). A watch I will never sell.

Journeyman
    Was my late father's Seiko Automatic I remembering him buying on a Dan Air (Comet) flight to Spain, would have been late seventies. Wish I still had I, I think I took it to bits!

Some ana-digi Timex I got at the age of 8, it's been all downhill since then!

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Connery's Rolex Sub in Dr No....still yet to own one!
    Yup. And the JB books I used to read under the covers with my torch. My mother thought they were 'dirty books' but I never understood any of the adult references until later in life.

Master
    Blog Entries

The Tressa was my first watch back in 1971. The Rotary was a 21st present. Still in my collection and the start of hobby.thats lasted 46 years.

This got me thinking, what and when was the tipping point? For me probably 1992 when on Ascension Island...the American P/X.....Seiko Sport 150m quartz chrono....red dial and dark blue sub dials, an alarm and bi-coloured gold/ss case and bracelet. Wow, how tastes change! I remember umming and ahhing over spending what was a considerable amount of my monthly pay. Sadly no pictures and I can't find an image on the net....probably just as well.

Apprentice
    I think that with me it was seeing my dad with his Seikos! I wouldnt say that my collection is where I want to be as there is always room to grow.

Seiko kinetic for me as well, still got it, it now looks like a ladies watch compared to the rest

My first watch when i was 8 years old, saved up my pocket money to buy exactly the same one again when the rubber buttons wore out.

Master
    Other than a steady stream of Casios as a kid, it was an Omega Dynamic chrono which was a gift from my grandparents and the first watch that I treated myself to after starting work - a Zenith El Primero.

This, I thought it was the bee's knees, dogs bollocks, at the time.

Sent from my SM-T335 using TZ-UK mobile app
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Always liked watches and wore the same Zenith for years but then inherited this and came here to find out more and then ended up buying more I didn't need ...

Omega Seamaster - 1965

Craftsman
    always been interested, ever since my grandpa gave me an old quartz dress watch when I was maybe 5 or 6?

I remember lusting after a breitling cockpit before I got my first mechanical (a rolex 1500).
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rc...08408075020902

I've also always owned a casio f91w for as long as I can remember, think I'm on my 4th now?

Apprentice
    Look at my ID and guess.

Seiko Kinetic

Craftsman

The watch that got you into watches

My first watch was a simple 3 handed boys timex which my dad bought for me when I was around 8 years old. He had a classic 1980's Casio digital watch which I loved but wasn't allowed one as he insisted I learned to tell the time on a proper watch. Once I learned how to tell the time he bought me a digital Casio from Aberdeen airport on his way back from working off shore. It lasted about 3 weeks before the battery went flat from me constantly playing with the light.
    Fast forward to 1995 when my dad took me and my brother to choose a watch each. My brother chose an accurist and after much deliberation I chose this quartz adidas chronograph over a Tissot!
    I think I just went for what (at 16 years old!) I thought was the coolest looking watch and loved the way the chronograph dials span around and reset at the push of a button. I wore it everyday, everywhere for years until I was 21 and got a job where everybody wore g shocks.
    I still have the watch though never wear it as the battery needs replacing and the bracelet has mysteriously shrunk over the years! I occasionally dig it out the drawer and it's a nice reminder of my teenage years.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app