closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: De Luca or Rainbow Flyback !!!!

Master

De Luca or Rainbow Flyback !!!!

I said I wouldn’t buy again this year, I said that I wouldn’t buy a Zenith again after a disappointing loss on resale. So it comes as no surprise that I’m now debating about either buying a De Luca or a Rainbow flyback!

This is a fun tot up of views but along the way it might help me come to a decision.
    With a De Luca am I being a Daytona wannabe? With the Flyback would the colour version become a bit short lived love affair? Both seem cracking watches and are around the same pricing band.
    What are the forums thoughts? De Luca or Rainbow?

Red face

I like the De Luca the most. If the dial was a little less busy it would be pretty much perfect!

Master
    Although I love the Rainbow (another I shouldn’t have sold) I’d go with the De Luca.

I'd go for the De Luca

Master
    Yes definitely the De Luca

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    Mark, buy the watch that you like the look of the most. But do your homework first. As a brand Zenith quality is top draw and the history and heritage of the brand has stood the test of time, but it's no secret that residuals are not the best n Zenith new or used if your not careful . Contact dealers and haggle with the price, even though both of these models are not in production you still need to seek out the best deal available to avoid a repeat of your last experience. Nothing wrong with the product , but even better if bought at a bullet proof price .

Rainbow for me. I love the dash of colour, it makes the watch that bit different.

Master
    I absolutely love the rainbow, so few higher priced/quality watches dare to just be fun and show a bit of colour. That said, of the two it would be the luca, I just have a hard time getting over the blocky lugs of the rainbow. Doesnt look quite right with the bracelet imo. It only just edges out the date window on the luca though.

My choice would be the De Luca, but the first mark, not the second.

I have had a Rainbow with the colours for years and it doesn’t grow tiring at all in my opinion. It is very subtle in wear but brightens up the dial nicely too.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    De Luca is a wonderful looking watch,
    That picture doesn't do it any justice.

Despite my love affair with coloured dials, I'd go with the De Luca.

Simon

Master
    Seems I'd be in the minority here as I'd choose the Rainbow over the De Luca every time.

Rainbow for me too

DeLuca.
    Why?
    In terms of the watch - because the tapered lugs are more elegant, and the monotone reverse pands (or panda if you prefer) is very nicely understated.
    In terms of the model - it has a quantified rarity that the rainbow does not. It is the genesis of the re-emergence of Zenith, a real turning point for the brand.

And of course it need not be a Daytona wannabe. The first ones were much more distinctively their own model. But the point is that you have choices. Plexi, plain pushers, pump pushers, mercedes hands or not, linear or round indices. Have a look around, see which one speaks to you.

Sorry, I post this one a lot (series 1)

So here is another view

Dave

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    De Luca for me, but that's because I have the a Rainbow.

That said if I was faced with buying one or the other with both in front of me for the same price, it would be a thought call between them.

If you're not sure about liking the colour on the Rainbow in the long run, you could consider the all black version. I used to have one and it's a great watch. Not sure about the Mercedes hands on the De Luca. The hands on the De Luca Sweets posted make the watch work a lot better for me.

Master
    Some great comments on here the De Luca 1st Edition non Mercedes hands and baton markers is beautiful
    But I suspect very hard to get hold off. The latest image of the Rainbow is absolutely glorious. Decisions, decisions!

Master
    I love quirky colourful watches but the De Luca every time. I'm a long time admirer of the first edition but the 2nd is pretty nice too.
    @sweets - stop being a tease!

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    DeLuca.
    Why?
    In terms of the watch - because the tapered lugs are more elegant, and the monotone reverse pands (or panda if you prefer) is very nicely understated.
    In terms of the model - it has a quantified rarity that the rainbow does not. It is the genesis of the re-emergence of Zenith, a real turning point for the brand.

And of course it need not be a Daytona wannabe. The first ones were much more distinctively their own model. But the point is that you have choices. Plexi, plain pushers, pump pushers, mercedes hands or not, linear or round indices. Have a look around, see which one speaks to you.

Sorry, I post this one a lot (series 1)

So here is another view

Dave
    Agreed, and still under appreciated I think - look at the A277 nowadays....

Journeyman
    Would have to be the Rainbow for me but thats me having a mild obsession with yachting watches at the moment!

Head would say the De Luca as it is a more elegant watch but heart would be for the Rainbow.

De Luca - especially a MK1 panda.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I owned the rainbow and hated every second with it. Wanted a de Luca but decided to go against the tide. De Luca for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Rainbow all day, every day!!

What is there not to love? The colours make it truly special.

I do not know the production volumes for the De Luca but the Rainbow coloured versions very limited (info from the all knowing web!).

Lovely watch with a great bracelet.

A regret that I have was to let mine go!

De-Luca, I'm surprised you have to ask! Such a classic look compared to the over-adorned and slightly toy looking rainbow.
    The De-Luca dresses up and down better and could be worn with a suit, the rainbow is more limited imho, it's still a nice piece but wouldn't make it onto my want list.

I think it depends on the watches you already have. If I already had something like the rainbow I would go for re De Luca. Then again personally I'm not a fan of mercedes hands as others have already said. Whichever you go for its a nice dilemma to be in :-)

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Master
    I had the Rainbow for a while and will one day get another. It's a classic and gorgeous watch.

De Luca would get my vote...

Only one choice for me, but I am biased. Wearing it today...

De Luca every time.

What about a rainbow de luca?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Master
    My first post for about five years, following a period of watch hibernation…

I previously suffered a crippling weakness for El Primeros, and I’ve got both of these, a series II De Luca and black face Flyback. I would go for the Flyback without hesitation, much as I like the De Luca.

I’m a bit biased - the rainbow Flyback is one of the few watches I bought new, and it’s one of my favourite EPs. Probably just behind the A385.

They’re both lovely though.

Quote Originally Posted by jd View Post
    My first post for about five years, following a period of watch hibernation…

I previously suffered a crippling weakness for El Primeros, and I’ve got both of these, a series II De Luca and black face Flyback. I would go for the Flyback without hesitation, much as I like the De Luca.

I’m a bit biased - the rainbow Flyback is one of the few watches I bought new, and it’s one of my favourite EPs. Probably just behind the A385.

They’re both lovely though.
    Nice to see you back, I think I sold you the de luca...?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I’m glad my thread brought you back . Please feel free to send gratuitous wrist shots of Rainbows and De Luca’s
    Cheers
    Mark

Banned

The De Luca wins all day. Better case profile swings it for me. The Rainbow case sits too high on the wrist for me - albeit a beautiful watch to look at.

Master
    I'd have both as they are very different watches. I have the mk 1, it looks great whatever strap it's on...

Tropic

Canvas

Original bracelet

I want another Rainbow!!!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    You did! Cheers!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ism123 View Post
    I'd have both as they are very different watches. I have the mk 1, it looks great whatever strap it's on...
    They all look average at best. PM me and I'll take it off your hands
    Last edited by deepreddave; 24th October 2017 at 17:52.

I've owned a black and a white faced De Luca and miss them. Lovely watches.

I've been close to a Rainbow many times but question if I'd wear one too much given the brighter look!

If you can go early on a De Luca then do so but don't discount the later Series as they're lovely watches

Craftsman
    de luca for sure

Rainbow for me, splash of colour wins the day

Master
    The De Luca is a thing of beauty

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Mk1 De Luca gets my vote, might actually go bump my ancient wtb for one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I’m glad my thread brought you back . Please feel free to send gratuitous wrist shots of Rainbows and De Luca’s
    Cheers
    Mark
    I need to brush up my photo/forum skills first :-\

Journeyman
    I'd get the De Luca