closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying a Grand Seiko

Master
    Yes, back on topic. I have had six Grand Seikos, quartz, spring-drive, hi-beat. GMT. Lovely, lovely watches which are deeply imbued with true Japanese craftsmanship. You can't go wrong unless you feel the need for a more obvious status symbol.
    A secret pleasure and a delight to own.

Master
    Good to see we’re back on topic.

As posted earlier in the week, I visited a fairly local GS dealer and had a close up look at a GMtHi Beat a couple of days ago.

Very, very nice - beautifully finished and definitely on my wish list, but the derisory offer from the dealer of £100 off list price won’t be persuading me to purchase from them any time soon.

I get that - GS appear to be attempting to raise the profile and general perception of the brand, so it’ no real surprise to me that significant discounts aren’t going to be available, so I’m looking at a couple of import options, or failing that wait for a Jura sale or pre owned to appear.

I’ll keep you all posted as and when, and thanks to the members of this forum for advice and offers for me to take a look at theirs.

Cheers Adam

Master
    Sales Corner here is great, good prices, and an excellent level of trust in the sellers.
    Recently bought a lovely sbgx083 on here, but it sadly wasn't for me. Sold it back here for the same price. Total loss for me was £14 rmsd. No other way to own and move one on without a big loss or risk of big loss.
    Nice bonus was three happy people: the original seller, me, and the new owner. Keep it TZ guys.

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Good to see we’re back on topic.
    Yeah but all the same...10 year service intervals on Rolex!

Phew!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    I started reading this thread thinking it would relate to buying a Grand Seiko !

So............Back on topic.....

Who's bought One ?

I will definately have a look and a try as soon as I have the opportunity.
    Agreed they are a real enthusiasts choice, you need to be to spend £000s on a Watch that most will think cost £50.
    But obviously if that mattered to you another Brand would probably be gracing your wrist.
    I have. I had a SBGX085, sold that and picked up an SBGX061 which I still have, and then a vintage self-dater. This kicked off an interest in other 60s Seikos, there are some great ones. GS has not been my most economical journey in the world of watches, but they are just strangely addictive. Now I find myself wondering if I should try a SBGX207.

I've had a few and has been said, there's something about the brand that is quite 'more-ish" really

First off was the SBGX009 which was very delicately made, simple but unfussy thus very legible and nice at 36mm.

I then picked up in roughly the following order an SBGX063, then an 065 followed by the SBGX059, beautiful in a polar whiter than white.
    All of these being in the same range of course, it was just the colour I hadn't decided on.

During and after there was the first foray into Spring Drive with the SBGA025 seen here (with the Japanese kitchen roll print dial)

That was joined by a dip into the Automatic sector with an SBGR061

and also another quartz in the shape of the SBGV005, lovely case shape this had

I had set my sights on and consequently I went the distance and achieved the inimitable Snowflake. This is the only GS I currently still own (and the fact that I bought it brand new probably accounts for that fact)

Next week in the GS New York Boutique, I'll be trying on a SBGJ201 which has that lovely case shape I mentioned above and the hi-beat movement. My only concern is the thickness of it.... They also do an SBGJ211 which is identical but in Titanium rather than stainless which may counter any 'top-heaviness'.
    I'll let you know how that pans out...

If you can, I say go for it, even if you have to eat bread and milk for a few weeks, I doubt you'd be disappointed !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I've had a few and has been said, there's something about the brand that is quite 'more-ish" really

Next week in the GS New York Boutique, I'll be trying on a SBGJ201 which has that lovely case shape I mentioned above and the hi-beat movement. My only concern is the thickness of it.... They also do an SBGJ211 which is identical but in Titanium rather than stainless which may counter any 'top-heaviness'.
    I'll let you know how that pans out...

If you can, I say go for it, even if you have to eat bread and milk for a few weeks, I doubt you'd be disappointed !
    What did you think of the SBGJ201?

I tried the 211 at a local dealer's and though I thought it was thick, I loved it.

I left the dealer still wanting a 201 though despite the extra weight and potential top-heaviness that it might have, so I bit the bullet and have ordered one.

It should be incoming early next week.

What did you think of the SBGJ201?

I tried the 211 at a local dealer's and though I thought it was thick, I loved it.

I left the dealer still wanting a 201 though despite the extra weight and potential top-heaviness that it might have, so I bit the bullet and have ordered one.

It should be incoming early next week.
    It wasn't as 'lofty' as I had imagined actually. Given the thickness, I thought it was very comfortable. The only thing not in its favour was the price in New York - I think it was around the equivalent of 5200 quid with local sales tax which is more than I'd like to pay. I know it's achievable for considerably less, new, elsewhere.

Glad you've ordered the 201 and I'll look forward to seeing some shots of it from you, hopefully.

There will be one in my future.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    It wasn't as 'lofty' as I had imagined actually. Given the thickness, I thought it was very comfortable. The only thing not in its favour was the price in New York - I think it was around the equivalent of 5200 quid with local sales tax which is more than I'd like to pay. I know it's achievable for considerably less, new, elsewhere.

Glad you've ordered the 201 and I'll look forward to seeing some shots of it from you, hopefully.

There will be one in my future.....
    I’ll hopefully post some images on Tuesday.

Craftsman
    Well I bit the bullet this weekend and ordered s snowflake from the Americas. It is currently running the long haul overseas gauntlet!! 🤞

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I had a 061. It was superbly made and would give a DJ a run for its money.

Quote Originally Posted by RBear1981 View Post
    Well I bit the bullet this weekend and ordered s snowflake from the Americas. It is currently running the long haul overseas gauntlet!! 爛

Be prepared for the VAT and other charges.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    I was curious about the cost of a GS strap, so asked Jura:

All of Grand Seiko straps are Crocodile and they are also made to order from Japan.

The will take at least Six months.

The RRP of the strap is £1820.00

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    I was curious about the cost of a GS strap, so asked Jura:

Do they throw the rest of the croc away or something?!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_esearch View Post
    Do they throw the rest of the croc away or something?!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, such a waste..especially after chasing that poor animal for a half year.

Master
    Delivered today and a real pain sizing the bracelet, but very happy with the new arrival.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Delivered today and a real pain sizing the bracelet, but very happy with the new arrival.

Truly beautiful, well done on such an lovely acquisition.
    I'm fairly sure there is one in my future after having tried one on in NYC.

Craftsman
    I watched that video recently and was a little dismayed at the overall thickness of the case.
    It looks very thick in the video and I'm not sure that I could get on with all of that bulk, so I've decided to track one down and take a look at one in the flesh before I go any further.
    Good thing about the snowflake is you don’t notice the fact it’s a decent chunk because it feels so light and sits so right on the wrist. I’m another advocate for going to see these live. I’ve tried on GS at both the London boutique and Porters in Glasgow and both were more than happy to let me have a play around trying stuff on etc even tho I said I’d no intention of buying anything on the day.

Master
    Good thing about the snowflake is you don’t notice the fact it’s a decent chunk because it feels so light and sits so right on the wrist. I’m another advocate for going to see these live. I’ve tried on GS at both the London boutique and Porters in Glasgow and both were more than happy to let me have a play around trying stuff on etc even tho I said I’d no intention of buying anything on the day.

I’m happy to report that despite the case thickness, it sits perfectly on the wrist and is extremely comfortable to wear. I think I’ve been lucky to hit on the ideal adjustment of the bracelet first time. There appears to be three different size links, so potentially a number variables in the fit, but I’ve got it adjusted just tight enough to keep the case sitting in the correct position, but loose enough for comfort.

Craftsman
    Well, it happened. GS Snowflake has just come into my life, gonna get the bracelet sized tmw. First impressions, this might be rash but I think I can see myself selling the DJ41..

Craftsman
    Well, it happened. GS Snowflake has just come into my life, gonna get the bracelet sized tmw. First impressions, this might be rash but I think I can see myself selling the DJ41..

Which if anyone happens to be interested is blue, smooth bezel, jubilee bracelet, only a few months old..

Master

Congratulations.

I’m happy to report that despite the case thickness, it sits perfectly on the wrist and is extremely comfortable to wear. I think I’ve been lucky to hit on the ideal adjustment of the bracelet first time. There appears to be three different size links, so potentially a number variables in the fit, but I’ve got it adjusted just tight enough to keep the case sitting in the correct position, but loose enough for comfort.
    That's right, it's a really clever system. By chance I managed to achieve the perfect fit with mine and it's the most comfortable bracelet I've ever had. The links articulate really smoothly and nicely and drape around your wrist. Although I like the look of leather straps on these, the bracelet is the best for hot weather.

Master

Well done sir! The snowflake is a great watch and I'm sure over time you will appreciate it even more. I've noticed the spring drive is super accurate and really glad I got myself one. The titanium bracelet is still the most comfortable of all my watches - those Japanese and their attention to detail!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Well done sir! The snowflake is a great watch and I'm sure over time you will appreciate it even more. I've noticed the spring drive is super accurate and really glad I got myself one. The titanium bracelet is still the most comfortable of all my watches - those Japanese and their attention to detail!

Thanks mate! Got an unusual winding noise, doesn’t it? I was a bit sure when closing the crown as it continues to make that noise as you’re winding it in. Take it that’s normal?

Craftsman
    Congratulations.
    Thanks, well chuffed with it.

Master
    Thanks mate! Got an unusual winding noise, doesn’t it? I was a bit sure when closing the crown as it continues to make that noise as you’re winding it in. Take it that’s normal?

Yes my SBGA109 (same watch except for dial) also makes a loudish cranking sound when winding, and yes when closing the crown too. You can say it's not as refined as a Rolex which is buttery smooth in comparison. I'm amazed how light the watch is though - and hence so easy and comfortable to wear.

Show us some pics!

Craftsman
    I wouldn’t dare say that! I’ve heard it compared to a high performance engine a la F1 so prefer to go with that analogy. In work just now so looking for an opportunity to sneak out and get it sized. Just I left my desk it’s started pissing it down. But that’s life in a luxury climate for you.

The 'standard' GS mechanical movement is very smooth to wind, as is the hi beat.

Craftsman
    I think it’s love.

Craftsman
    Orion 38 Weiss will have to go now to I guess *sigh*

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    They come up on SC quite often; that's where to buy them. Importing from Japan works out as not a lot different to buying in a UK sale such as Jura. Lovely watches, an interesting challenge to the Rolex GMT. More discrete, more classy...to me anyway. But much poorer resale values.
    Just spotted there is one on SC right now.
    I think 2 are still available

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I think it’s love.

Beautiful. If you haven't got a loupe, should get one and then enjoy the minute details (no pun intended) all over this watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Beautiful. If you haven't got a loupe, should get one and then enjoy the minute details (no pun intended) all over this watch.

Great shout. Just took her out to lunch to show my appreciation. Really feels amazing on the wrist. Don’t think I’ve take to any other Watch quite as quickly.