closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A recent pickup for a bargain price.

A recent pickup for a bargain price.

I was browsing on Yahoo when I spotted this set of three Casio’s for sale.

They all had damage and the advert was labelled ‘Pop Tone watch and others’ which given the ‘others’ was a bit of a daft way to label and advert.

This what arrived. First and least is an LDF-40 calculator watch. Not sure of the date of manufacture but it is from a few years back.

It has a basic module, outwith the calculator mode, it has a 20 second alarm, which is really loud,, a 24 hour stopwatch with lap timer and dual time. It has no light.

Next up is the DW-5000-1JF from 2001. This was an updated reproduction of the original G shock from 1983.

The bezel had crumbled and it needed a new battery but other than that it is in great condition. Only fine lines on the highly polished, mirror finished, case back and with a clear crystal.

Japan made.

Sorted out the battery and gave it a new stealth bezel but will give it its proper coloured bezel soon.

Last up is a rare one these days, the DW-6400 original ‘Gundam’. It needed a new battery but that was soon sorted.

It was nicknamed ‘Gundam’ after a Japanese kind of Transformers character, it is a serious piece of hardware on the wrist.

It has lost its wrist cuffs, as have the vast majority of these DW-6400’s, resin rot is strong with these and that is why so few remain with intact resin. This one still has the screws covered so it looks fine on the wrist. Japan made.
    Apart from its wrist cuffs, the watch is in great condition for its age, the crystal is clear and unmarked and the band and resin are in good condition.

They are quite desirable and sought after these days and don’t come cheap unless very heavily damaged.

The watch was produced in January 1994 and therefore has the light bulb system instead of an EL panel. This watch was superseded by the DW-8300 ‘Stargate’ also called Gundam and ‘Heavy metal’ which did have an EL panel.

It has the 901 module which has a 24 hr stopwatch, an auto repeat 24 hr timer settable to the second, dual time, an alarm with 'flash alert', and a reminder function 'REM' which allows you to set a reminder at a push of a button, it keeps flashing until you decide you have been reminded enough!

Here they are side by side and you can see the non-EL LCD is much clearer than the other.

Some wrist shots to finish.

So really pleased with the set and especially pleased with the price I got them for. Due to the rather odd advert, I got them delivered to the UK, including all fees, shipping etc for about £140!

Mitch

Master
    Pretty good catch!

Excellent haul, I really like that last chunky one.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Great catch, love that last one, very techno.

Well done, I had the calculator one when I was a kid. I like!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Journeyman
    Love the Gundam. Hefty but looks very cool. Not seen one ever before

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stiver3 View Post
    Love the Gundam. Hefty but looks very cool. Not seen one ever before

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The Gundam is by far the most unusual these days. It is now more of a collectors item as being an early G Shock the resin composition seems more susceptible to rot than modern 'G's and the danger is it will crumble if used as an everyday ordinary 'G' with all the knocks they tend to get.

The thing is hefty and was the largest G Shock up to then when made in early 1994. It is 48mm by 51mm by 15mm.

The DW-5000-1JF is not seen that often either. Casio have issued various screwback DW-5000s as special editions or anniversary models over the years but this is the closest model in appearance to the original 1983 G Shock. It is far more weighty than a normal 'square'.

Mitch

Craftsman
    Really off topic - the back drop to your photo looks so familiar, do you live on the Kent coast?

Great stuff, well done. Nice to see this kind of thing on the forum.
    "A man of little significance"

Apprentice
    when i was young,lovely!!!!

Great catch, that Gundam is truly old school cool!

Quote Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
    Really off topic - the back drop to your photo looks so familiar, do you live on the Kent coast?
    No I am 'oop North' in the Pennines.

Mitch

Master
    Nice pick up! Always been drawn to the square G’s I particularly like the g7800.

Lovely stream in the background, I would love to have a go, if I would still have my fishing gear..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Great stuff, well done. Nice to see this kind of thing on the forum.

My interest in watches lies mainly in G Shocks. I like a hobby that has interest and variety and I am not really interested in 'ego' type watches and just having a few and then worrying about wearing them, stickers, servicing and repairs, wondering where the market is going etc, seems to reduce the 'fun' aspect somewhat.

I tend to post only stuff not often seen on here. I did get a new Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch this year but didn't post about it as it has been posted a thousand times and more on the forum so what else is there to say?

I have about 300 watches and that in itself that adds up to a fair amount of money spent, I am relaxed about it though, as with my expertise in G Shocks built up over the years, I generally get them at very good prices and have no worries about recouping my money if I want to. I have sold a few over the last couple of years (bought more than sold though!!), mainly because people have contacted me asking to buy but I have also dabbled on eBay this year just a little. I have sold about twenty in total in those couple of years and have made a profit on every one. I do know I have a fair number that will not recoup their purchase price but I am relaxed about it.

Overall I can run the hobby and get the pleasure of searching, buying, working on them, with no constant little messages in my head about the cost of it all and niggles about future values.

I don't think I would have the same pleasure and ongoing interest if I had just a few really expensive watches.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Nice pick up! Always been drawn to the square G’s I particularly like the g7800.

Yes the G-7800 had one of the best modules Casio ever made. So many settings to play around with. Didn't seem to be a success though, the looks mustn't have been to too many peoples tastes.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    No I am 'oop North' in the Pennines.

I think it might be worth taking a link or two out.

Careful not to lose the pins. If you do the p/n is 10437296 and they're 68p each. DAMHIKIJKOK

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I think it might be worth taking a link or two out.
    True, I had just got it and wasn't sure I was going to keep it, thought I would see how it looked.

Mitch

Master
    Cheers for that Mitch ;) it does look a beast!
    One of my favourites is the dw290 one ugly beast but that’s what drew me too it and also it’s the mission impossible watch.
    The only thing I hate about it is the graphics on the case, wish I could remove them and also the strap.
    Don’t suppose you know of a better strap to fit it, think it’s 19mm?
    Cheers.

That's quite the catch, very nice!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Cheers for that Mitch ;) it does look a beast!
    One of my favourites is the dw290 one ugly beast but that’s what drew me too it and also it’s the mission impossible watch.
    The only thing I hate about it is the graphics on the case, wish I could remove them and also the strap.
    Don’t suppose you know of a better strap to fit it, think it’s 19mm?
    Cheers.

Cheers.

Regarding the DW-290, the design of the case means an ordinary 19mm strap would look a bit wimpy. A notched strap would be best, perhaps something like this would be ok but you wouldn't know until you got it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JAWO...05.4.51.yfOGVf

Mitch

Master
    Cheers Mitch that looks quite nice, I thought about that style either leather or rubber it’s just finding a decent quality one!
    As said love the watch but I’ve never worn it because of the awful strap, shame really!
    Think it was a pre G? Would nail varnish remover take the graphics off without damaging the plastic?
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by barryw; 7th October 2017 at 19:56.

Cheers Mitch that looks quite nice, I thought about that style either leather or rubber it’s just finding a decent quality one!
    As said love the watch but I’ve never worn it because of the awful strap, shame really!
    Think it was a pre G? Would nail varnish remover take the graphics off without damaging the plastic?
    Thanks again.

Well someone did just that with a DW-290 and posted about it with a picture. Check post 25.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/dw-...ld-158634.html

Mitch

Master
    Cheers! That’s just what I’m after..........

Cheers! That’s just what I’m after..........
    He also seems to have fitted a thin Nato type strap without an adaptor, just using the spring bars. Perhaps you could do this.

Mitch

Master

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    He also seems to have fitted a thin Nato type strap without an adaptor, just using the spring bars. Perhaps you could do this.

Mitch
    Yeah I’ll have another look at that, I removed the writing as you said and it worked a treat! :)
    I’m more of a NATO guy, I’ll maybe have to notch a 20/22mm.
    Thanks again.