closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nuisance Phone Calls

Nuisance Phone Calls

Lately we've been called a few times a day by an 'international' number that - when picked up - is silent.

I presume they are machine generated, and being from overseas, they get around the TPS system.

What purpose are they likely to serve? They come at random times and at least twice a day according to the phone log.

I suppose they are a nuisance, but whenever we see the CLI show 'international' we just leave it to roll to voicemail, so no harm done really.

Is there some gang of Bangalore-based master criminals trying to obtain riches by nefarious call centre intrigue? or is it just a fact of modern life that we have to put up with automated PIAs nowadays?

And do they have a letterbox? (obvs)

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    Lately we've been called a few times a day by an 'international' number that - when picked up - is silent.

I presume they are machine generated, and being from overseas, they get around the TPS system.

What purpose are they likely to serve? They come at random times and at least twice a day according to the phone log.

I suppose they are a nuisance, but whenever we see the CLI show 'international' we just leave it to roll to voicemail, so no harm done really.

Is there some gang of Bangalore-based master criminals trying to obtain riches by nefarious call centre intrigue? or is it just a fact of modern life that we have to put up with automated PIAs nowadays?

And do they have a letterbox? (obvs)
    Sounds weird, not sure on the angle but will be interested to hear.

A pickup shows it's an active number, I think that's all. We're getting a few at the moment as well.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I get these as well, I’ve just assumed that they are harvesting numbers, pick up and you’re on the list, a list that then presumably gets sold for yet more cold calling?

BT have added a feature to 1571 (1572) to enable calls to be blocked. I've noticed that international calls also show a number now so I've been able to block them with my handset.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech...11364136279348
    Last edited by bonzo697; 3rd October 2017 at 08:49.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    BT have added a feature to 1571 (1572) to enable calls to be blocked. I've noticed that these calls also show a number now so I've been able to block them with my handset.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech...11364136279348
    Thanks for that , I wasn't aware of that service

Steve

Journeyman
    We get nuisance calls all the time. Signed up to BT caller preferences which is a waste of time.
    I was not aware of the 1572 feature and that is good to know.
    Many international calls cannot be blocked as my call minder only shows international, so the only way I can block them is to block all international calls.
    We have had a few international calls claiming to be from BT, informing me that there is a problem with my router and would I check the router lights as I could be hacked at any time.

Master
    Don't really get them on my house phone but have recently started to get loads on my mobile. Constantly adding numbers to the auto reject. Good to know about the BT 1572 though.

I had a terrible saga about 10years ago with something like this.

At random hours I would get phone calls (on a new landline no.) and I could hear mechanical machine noise in the background. When I rang the number it would not answer back.

BT broke my heart, wasted my time. I remember a BT operative stating to me that the couldn't identify the originator 'in case I took matters into my own hands'.

I recall It turned out a building lift (of which there are 10,000's) was calling my number on its internal modem by error.

In the end I changed my number.

Craftsman
    had one on Friday on the business line asking for Jean, she died 9 years ago and got a short , sharp dressing down from me . The TPS which all lines are on is pretty useless tbh

J-C Junker calling you to say that he likes your avatar?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't get nuisance calls but that's just because I never answer the phone unless it's from somebody I know. If it's that important they can write.

Craftsman
    we dont get them on the home phone line as we dont have a phone plugged into it and never have !

Journeyman

I`m sick of getting nuisance calls

They never stop. Its always when its dinner time.

Master
    Sky have brought out Talk Shield for your landline if you are with Sky.

Was getting 3 nuisance calls per day but not one since this was activated.

Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    we dont get them on the home phone line as we dont have a phone plugged into it and never have !
    Post of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    They never stop. Its always when its dinner time.
    https://youtu.be/lYAYnCAQRMY

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Sky have brought out Talk Shield for your landline if you are with Sky.

Was getting 3 nuisance calls per day but not one since this was activated.
    Yep, we've been using this for a couple of months and it's been brilliant at cutting out the nuisance calls.

One neat trick the scammers have is to call you then as soon they call again instantly with an 'unavailable' number, which can't be blocked.
    Talktalk's ban service now asks you to pick between scammers and telemarketers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Post of the week.
    Do I get a badge or do I get a ban 😆

Master
    I just talk absolutely dirty filth at nusiance callers.
    Really epically filthy stuff.

Actually come to think of it I do that to anyone who calls up.