closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hello. (Again)

Master

Hello. (Again)

Hello everyone.

While I have been a member of this forum for over a decade now, I haven’t been as active during the last couple of years

So I thought I would reintroduce myself.

My name is Dave, I am a 42 year old Registered Nurse, I live in Aberdeenshire, with my wife, two cats and a foster horse. My current WISness started in 2005 when I started tracking down watches from the outdoor sports brand Animal. I had coveted these as a teenager but could never afford them.

I also discovered Clive Cussler novels around that time and was curious about the regular mentions of a orange dial dive watch the lead character wore during his adventures. Hunting online I discovered that Doxa had rereleased a Sub Professional just the year before.

I was fascinated by this watch, but I balked at the price. I then discovered a comparison review with the Doxa and another watch called the Seiko Orange Monster on Dr Pete Millar’s site doxa300t.com. This led to a purchase of the much more affordable Seiko from Timefactors, owned by Eddie Platts who happen to run a certain watch forum. Being a newbie to forums in general, I chose the rather plain username of dforgrieve. Rather than something cool like say, Lapsed Pacifist, a Rapid Offensive Unit from the Culture Universe.

Thus began my descent into WIS madness. Also known as Sales Corner. I became serial flipper, always chasing the next watch. Sometimes selling a watch the day it arrived. Never standing still long enough to appreciate what I had.

I had kept a list of all the watches I have owned over the subsequent years, but can I find it? Nope, I reckon the file died on one of our laptops, as I can’t find it on any USB drives or back ups. Going to have to rewrite it from memory and the forum search function.

Quite a few icons passed through my hands over the years. 1969 Omega Speedmaster Professional, Omega Seamaster Professional, Rolex Submariner ND, Breitling Aerospace, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph 3719, Sinn U2, Damasko DC56, Omega f300, Tudor Oyster Quartz. I have owned most of Eddie’s watches, I had a PRS-10 six times for instance.

Despite the initial balk at the price, I did buy a Doxa Sub Professional, the 1000t, from our very own GraniteQuarry, who lives locally to me. At that point it was the most I had ever spent on a watch, it was reassuring to have a face to face deal.

The biggest regret? Selling a Rolex Explorer 114270, and not to fund another watch. I was off work long term with ill health and in my state of mind, I decided “I didn’t deserve” to own a Rolex. The money got frittered away on nothing and I will likely never own one again.

With time and real life getting in the way, the spending slowed down. This year I treated my Bremont BC-F1 to a full service. The first watch I have owned long enough to worry about that, unless there was a fault. I bought it new in 2009, did flip it and bought it back. It had its foibles at the beginning but I love it for its legible dial, hardened case and the crystal you barely see. It’s ETA 2836 engine has been reliable, accurate and trouble free.

Last year I bought an Oris 65 with that great tapered bracelet, dome crystal and retro dial. So while my habit hasn’t completely stopped, a lot more thought and consideration goes into each potential purchase. Although a Hamilton I bought in 2015 is now on Sales Corner. So my decisions aren’t foolproof.

A couple of my watches, a Hamilton Khaki Field and a Tudor Oyster Quartz we’re gifted to my brother. I had my fathers 21st birthday watch restored a few years back, Brendan Hoey did a wonderful job. I returned it to my dad on Father’s Day that year, much to his astonishment. I now have a nephew so thinking of putting a watch aside for him at some point.

I first attended SalonQP in 2015, and again in 2016. Very much looking forward to the 2017 event next month, also intend the new Seiko Boutique while I am in London.

The TZ-UK Scottish GTG were legendary, but I cannot drink that much anymore!

Listening to Podcasts by The Grey Nato and Worn&Wound. Habitually visit several watch related YouTube channels.

Potential future purchases include the Tudor Black Bay 36mm (it has the same appeal as a certain Explorer), the 2017 Oris Chronoris (although yet to try one on) and perhaps another Doxa Sub Professional, I own Dr Pete Millars great book, and the 50th Anniversary releases have whetted my appetite.

See you around!

Dave

Nice write-up, Dave, a good read

Welcome back Dave.

I was also a Registered Nurse until earlier this year when I decided, mainly due to the new revalidation process, to cease registration. No matter, Ive done my time.

Interesting list of watches there - any photos?

A warm welcome from the newbie!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi dave, welcome back!

mike

Hi,
    Sounds like you've kept yourself busy, welcome back.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Hello back to Hotel California!

Welcome back.

Master
    Welcome back Dave

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Welcome back Dave.

You do know that you'll get another explorer don't you?
    If you think otherwise then your in denial and a short spell back in here will most definitely cure you!

Master
    Welcome back Dave; a bit like me, a returning oldie (member not age! ;) )

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    Hello back to Hotel California!

Welcome back, I always think of the above when members try to leave!
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Hi Dave,I enjoyed reading your post and the watches that have been and gone.
    That was a lovely thing to do for your father, I'll bet he was over the moon.
    I've never owned that many watches but I can see it happening if I stay here!

Journeyman
    welcome back Dave. a good read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Hi Dave from a forum newbie. Very interesting read, I enjoy hearing of other peoples' journey through WISness.
    As others have said, you WILL get another explorer. Just don't fight it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman

Very interesting

Thanks

Master
    Hi Dave

Welcome back, tbh didn't realise you were away! but thats probably down to me not being here so much either.

Nev

Welcome back Dave , excellent write up .

Welcome back Dave. Good to hear from you fella.

Dave

Master
    Welcome back Dave, good to see you mate

Master
    Thank you for the warm welcome guys, good to see many familiar members still posting.

Back down the rabbit hole I go...

Dave

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Welcome back, I always think of the above when members try to leave!
    +1....'you can check out any time you like but you can never leave'

Craftsman
    Hello, the madness starts again!

Blog Entries
    Welcome back Dave, I think I had your BC F1 for a while, my first Bremont. Still one of the best there is in my opinion.
    I don't need to tell you about the slippery slope mate, you've already 'fallen off the wagon' again.
    All the best
    James

Grand Master
    welcome back! a break from the insanity here does wonders
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!