closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex on eBay

Journeyman

Rolex on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152716190263

Im trying to learn about vintage Rolex , In particular GMT's .
    So what do we think about this one ?
    I'm not suggesting it being fake but unless I'm mistaken , the Rolex logo looks a long distance from the 12 o'clock baton.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Do all the indices look really far from the edge of the dial or is it just an optical illusion because the minute track is missing in most places?

Journeyman
    Indeed , there's alot about this that looks different to other images I've seen but like I said I know little or nothing about vintage stuff but am keen to learn

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff68 View Post
    Indeed , there's alot about this that looks different to other images I've seen but like I said I know little or nothing about vintage stuff but am keen to learn

Ask to see the service receipt.

Brendan

Master
    Blog Entries
    I WOULD NOT buy a Rolex from Salford, certainly not without meeting the seller and checking the watch thoroughly!

I'm no expert but that dial looks very dodgy. The indices have very thick surrounds and very small dots of lume which I'd expect to be yellow rather than white. The Rolex crown looks applied rather than painted too.

As I say, I'm no expert though.

He has service stickers on the watch looks like a glit dial

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    I WOULD NOT buy a Rolex from Salford, certainly not without meeting the seller and checking the watch thoroughly!
    Mate of mine lives in Salford and collects vintage Rolex.

Master
    For me, so much looks new or fresh you may as well buy a newer watch. The only thing that looks old to me is the date wheel. If I was buying something old I'd at least want it to feel slightly that way. But then someone else may not I guess.

Having looked at other images the dial may be fine as there seems to be a couple of types, one with the indices closer to the edge and a printed Rolex logo and the text high and then this type which look further from the edge, an applied rolex logo and the text almost goes down to the hand centres. The exposure of the pic does the dial no favours.

Maybe ask on TRF as it could even be it's a more desirable dial for all I know!

Journeyman

Meet the seller

at a Rolex dealership and have it checked out (at your cost). If they don't turn up, then you know its not right. Good luck.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I'm no expert but that dial looks very dodgy. The indices have very thick surrounds and very small dots of lume which I'd expect to be yellow rather than white. The Rolex crown looks applied rather than painted too.

As I say, I'm no expert though.
    That's correct for a nipple dial root beer Dave. Nip markers and applied crown.

The pictures are extremely poor on the ad but the box, poly, card and pouch are typically what would be received after a Rolex service. Check serial on card against watch would be my advice.
    Last edited by verv; 2nd October 2017 at 16:34.

Thanks Celia, every day's a school day. I'd have run a mile at that dial; I see why it's called a nipple dial now.

Nippled dial 1675/3 and it looks to me.

However its missing the correct tutone strap, which will cost about £1200+ to replaced 2ng hand.

So a £4K watch starts to become a £5.2k (and up) watch, but the upside is someone can recover some money selling existing strap.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    Meet the seller at a Rolex dealership and have it checked out (at your cost).
    Is that a service which Rolex dealerships offer?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Is that a service which Rolex dealerships offer?
    Some do. My closest AD charges £75. Unfortunately, I wouldn't put much faith in an AD spotting anything other than the most obvious fakes.

Craftsman
    As has been pointed out, the bracelet is not correct to the watch, it should be bi-metal. The 3m serial number would date it to around 1972ish not late 70's as per the sellers description, Late 70's would be 5m. I'd ask for much closer photo's of the dial, and the serial number between the lugs at 6 to check the serial number against that on the warranty card. As has been suggested ask for a photo of the service invoice as that will have details of the work done and again should have the watch serial number to match that on the card and watch. The hands are luminova replacements not a deal breaker necessarily but it does affect vintage value..........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
    Some do. My closest AD charges £75. Unfortunately, I wouldn't put much faith in an AD spotting anything other than the most obvious fakes.
    That I just HAVE to test.

Which AD is it and how do they describe the service, please?

Thanks in advance!

H

Master
    For £75 do they give any indemnity if the watch proves to be fake? £75 for "it looks OK" is a bit steep!

Craftsman
    So when I was much younger (and possibly much dumber!) I bought a Rolex on eBay.

Not knowing anything about watches at the time I went to my local AD, Ruddells in Harborne, Birmingham and asked them whether it was real.

They said that they could get their trained Rolex watchmaker to take a look but it would be £75.

I left it with them and picked it up a week later when it came back with a small scribbled handwritten note saying 'cheap fake. Probably Chinese', or something similar.

Anyway the watch went back and £75 was probably a fair price to pay to learn a very valuable lesson!

I can't remember whether there was an official title of the service, I just asked whether they could confirm if it was genuine, and I didn't discuss with them the liability if they were wrong. In hindsight any one of you would have spotted it as fake from 30 yards - I think it probably ticked!

Master
    Thankyou Oliver.

So about ten years ago a single AD took a week to identify a bad fake and then charged a young man who had bought it a further £75 for telling him so?

Ah, this must be another example of “the AD experience.” I’m glad that you can be so philosophical about it!

Are you or anyone else able to tell me from experience of an AD who will currently give an opinion on watches where two parties, a buyer and seller, agree to meet in their premises? This scenario is commonly celebrated on watch fora, but I don’t know of it ever happening.

If someone can correct me and tell me where such a service is offered, I would like to test it . . . ;-)

Haywood
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 3rd October 2017 at 00:06.

Surprised they didn't impound it, or is that just RSCs?

Grand Master
    Please let me have their details
    RIAC

Rolex on eBay

A slightly different scenario but I once sold a DD on eBay which I'd had valued at a local AD the week before. The buyer asked for confirmation that it was genuine and so we met up and went to the AD who was happy to confirm this.

Again, this was twelve years ago and I had paid the AD for an insurance valuation the week before so a slightly different scenario.

As far as I know, the Rolex Boutique (Prestons) in Leeds will not do any kind of vetting/valuation of third party watches. They certainly didn't when I was last there a while back.