closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Rolex

Craftsman

My first Rolex

Well, finally picked up my black/blue gmt today.
    TBH, I'm not as pleased with it as I thought I would be. The blue just isn't as stand out as I thought would be .
    A nice watch don't get me wrong but it was a toss up between one of these and a chronomat 44 Breitling on a leather strap and in truth I think I've gone with my wallet and the watch holding its value over what I actually preferred.
    A lesson for me I think.

Master
    I'm sure a dealer will give you your money back and you can still get the Breitling? The Breitling would be available at discount as well of course from somewhere like Andrew Michaels or one of the online Grey Dealers.

Congratulations! Maybe it will grow on you. If not, you can always move it on at little/no loss.

Master
    Won't be surprised if your inbox is full with offers for your BLNR.

Master
    This is the great thing about most Rolex. You can try them out with little fear of losing money. In fact, if you decide you don't like it after 6 months you'll probably make a few quid.

Craftsman
    I'm really hoping it will grow.
    It's not just doing what I hoped it would . Maybe I need to wait till the sun comes out and it will change my mind !!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive been underwhelmed with a few Rolex in the past when they have arrived!

Sometimes forum pictures and shop displays make you gas for a certain model but in reality it is not what it seems!

You will get your money back for sure but give it some time

To be honest, a new Rolex can be a little underwhelming, particularly one that's been talked about as much as the BLNR.

I'd suggest that you just wear it for a while and you'll come to appreciate how good they are.

I felt the same when I first got mine back in 2014. It is now my favourite watch by some way. It is overhyped though.

Master
    I was also initially underwhelmed, but gave it a chance and it grew on me to the point that I really like it now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Of all the Rolex watches I have, the BLNR would be the one I’d keep. The usefulness (I travel) and the blue (wait for sunlight) tip it into greatness.

As others have said though, if it doesn’t sing - move on.

Craftsman
    Brave of you to admit you may have made a mistake though.

Banned
    I agree with a few on here , wear it and you wil learn to love and appreciate it

Journeyman
    I've had a BLNR in 2014, didn't love it and sold it. Bought again this year thinking I'd made a mistake and didn't click once again. I think it's a combination of the GMT2 numerals on the bezel being too large and the blue not being bright enough... Totally understand why people love them but sadly it wasn't for me. (btw in 2015 I got £4300 for my 2014 model, still makes me wince)

Quote Originally Posted by drobertson View Post
    in 2015 I got £4300 for my 2014 model, still makes me wince
    My god. Ouch.

Apprentice
    Let’s see a picture if you can. Sorry it doesn’t impress you immediately. When I got my first Rolex, a DJ it didn’t immediately grab me but within a few days I couldn’t take my eyes off of it and now, over a year later, I love everything about it. Perhaps it will be that way with you, maybe its the lesser diameter of the BLNR as related to the Breitling. Anyway, good luck if it really isn’t for you, it’s good you realized it so soon. Let us know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very honest op. I think there are watches that you like, watches that you don't like but might, and watches that you know you'll never come to like. Life's too short to be looking at something less than (for you) perfect on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by teb1013 View Post
    Let’s see a picture if you can. Sorry it doesn’t impress you immediately. When I got my first Rolex, a DJ it didn’t immediately grab me but within a few days I couldn’t take my eyes off of it and now, over a year later, I love everything about it. Perhaps it will be that way with you, maybe its the lesser diameter of the BLNR as related to the Breitling. Anyway, good luck if it really isn’t for you, it’s good you realized it so soon. Let us know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Although I’m not the OP here’s a picture of mine in the summer a month or two ago. The BLNR is overhyped, yes, and sometimes it just looks black which isn’t great but in the sunshine it’s 10/10 and I’ll never flip or sell.

Master
    Shame you're not getting on with it. As others have said try it for a while and if it's still not your thing then sell it on. I've had this a few times, bought a watch I thought I'd love then on arrival it just didn't work for me so had to move it on. Best thing is though you can then start looking for your next purchase.

Master
    I'm with you on this one OP, I would prefer the Chronomat over the BLNR, in fact any Rolex come to that, I know we are a minority but you have to go with what you like and not get drawn into the hype and what others like!

But I don't think it's a bad idea to wear the Rolex for a while so you know you've made the right decision if you decide to flip

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

What a shame, and tbh I would move it on.

I have the opposite view, there isn’t another Rolex available that makes me smile like the BLNR does. The thought of someone buying a Breitling instead makes me shiver, but we are all different and have different tastes.

The UK market being as it is, means you’ll probably be able to move it on at little loss. You could really help someone out who is on a list and really genuinely loves the Watch, leaving you free to buy the Breitling or similar.

Good luck.

I agree that if it's a disappointment you should move it on. I had a similar experience with the black ceramic GMT. I just didn't wear it as much as I thought I would and it felt like an odd blingy yet sporty combination to me. It didn't quite work for me. In contrast, my vintage 1675 GMT seems to tick all the boxes.

Master
    I think you'd be even less pleased if you were sitting there with the Breitling instead - financially you wouldn't have any flipping options. At least this way you can swap at little or no financial loss. Give it a few weeks first then decide.

Give it some time. You could just be experiencing buyer's remorse and that familiar 'after all the fuss it's just a watch' feeling.

Craftsman
    I got it new / but secondhand . It's an early 2014 model so it can't go back to the dealer. I bought it from a good friend who has never worn it bar twice.
    No chance of any viewing in the sun today, miserable outside and no sun.

I think I'm going to buy a Breitling as well and see what takes my fancy as we say. That will give me time to grow to like it or realise that it isn't for me.

Hey, if we all liked the same thing wouldn't life be boring !!

Better to buy a Rolex and then realise you wanted a Breitling than vice versa.

It's also possible that the Breitling might have felt no less underwhelming - the pressure on it to blow you away, having been preferred over Your First Rolex, would have been similarly intense.

There are worse fates in life than wearing a GMT whilst deciding if you want to keep it or trade it in.

Craftsman
    Given the waiting list time, but make sure you're really sure before moving it on - it's not like you can walk into a shop and buy at will of you change your mind again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    I got it new / but secondhand .
    It can't be both.

Lovely looking watch but the PCLs are a major worry for me.
    With a brushed bracelet it would be perfect imo.
    if you are thinking about moving it on be very careful as it can scratch easily.
    Maybe go for a sub or explorer?

I had my name of a list for the BLNR without even seeing one, it was totally fuelled by hype and when I saw one I realised I really wasnt keen

The interesting thing (for me at least) is the all black version is in all the AD's and seems very unpopular, pop on a different bezel and give it a nickname and suddenly its the greatest watch ever :)

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Even though my name is on waiting list, the BLNR has to be the most hyped up watch ever.
    I think the Daytona would disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I think the Daytona would disagree.
    LOL spot on

I have the black gmt and love it, still dont get the blue hype,its half a bezel and a blue hand difference…….?

Journeyman
    I've had my BLNR for 3 weeks now and I love it. It's my first Rolex and I wear it everyday.

I have friends who find Rolex watches "boring" and would prefer Casio's. Not joking! I think it's down to Rolex's having more or less the same look over the years, only subtle changes. To me I like their looks; classic and not too flashy. What I'm also buying is the heritage, the branding, and the engineering and craftsmanship gone into making one of these watches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    The UK market being as it is, means you’ll probably be able to move it on at little loss.
    The UK market being what it is for the BLNR, I would imagine he could in fact make a little profit.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dommorton View Post
    The UK market being what it is for the BLNR, I would imagine he could in fact make a little profit.
    Looking at non-AD prices I would agree.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    I have the black gmt and love it, still dont get the blue hype,its half a bezel and a blue hand difference…….?
    It's the challenges in making the bezel with 2 colours. Rolex are the first to achieve this and I believe still only them have the process (and most likely patent) in doing so.

At first I didn't understand it but it does look very good in real. It's the sutble differences that's causing the demand. Something a bit different but enough for someone to notice them, without deviating from the original design.

Craftsman
    I think a profit could be made based on grey prices. Private sales are still easily £500 above list for a nearly new/unworn Watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    pop on a different bezel and give it a nickname and suddenly its the greatest watch ever :)
    Don’t forget that blue GMT hand ;)

Craftsman
    My first rolex was this watch, followed by a Daytona. Watch I get bored of is the batman - but a few weeks in the watch box and I love it again. It's blingy v rest but that's what I like about it v rest of collection

Pop it in a draw for a few days. Then back on wrist n see what you think. All things said, at the end of the day it's just a watch mind
    Last edited by bigfish; 1st October 2017 at 14:53.

Journeyman
    Give it a bit longer with the BLNR as it may grow on you. It’s a great watch with a useful complication.

The problem is we read so much online about how sought after these models are that once you get one it’s a bit underwhelming.

I see grey retail prices above list but didn’t think grey dealers would actually pay over list but I could very well be wrong.

It’s a superb watch anyway

Banned
    I see grey retail prices above list but didn’t think grey dealers would actually pay over list but I could very well be wrong.

It’s a superb watch anyway
    Chronext are offering £7000 for a new one.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    £450 profit if you don't like it, not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    Wow that’s great!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    as the BLNR is considerably cheaper, and therefore a viable proposition to more people, the sheer numbers chasing it, are off the Richter scale.

I disagree with that, it's not even close. Far far more calls to AD's for the Daytona and far harder to get. The BLNR isn't hard to get, people just need to put some leg work in. Two AD's in the south west had BLNR's in their window recently, someone even put a PSA on here saying it for on of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I disagree with that, it's not even close. Far far more calls to AD's for the Daytona and far harder to get. The BLNR isn't hard to get, people just need to put some leg work in. Two AD's in the south west had BLNR's in their window recently, someone even put a PSA on here saying it for on of them.
    BLNR is the window? That’s incredible that they don’t have long lists in the south west.

Here in Scotland they have long lists and not close to enough availability.

The first rule of WIS Club is to buy what you like.

Master
    If there's one thing I've learned in watch collecting, it is not completely trusting my first impressions of a watch. Several watches I've initially loved have faded in my estimation over time; while others have grown on me and become favourites after more wrist time.

I'd give it longer before coming to a 'flip' decision.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

BLNR is the window? That’s incredible that they don’t have long lists in the south west.

Here in Scotland they have long lists and not close to enough availability.
    There isn't so much interest down here generally by most people i come across in watches or anything a bit shiny perhaps compared to LDN & SE at least. Know some quite wealthy folk here & rarely see a nice timepiece, buying tractors & horses etc is where a lot of dough goes & there is a different way of looking at things for sure....
    so yes could be that waiting lists minimal in comparison.

Funny enough though demand is supposed to be through the roof I posted up a new with stickers one available in a bricks & mortar shop here in SW (as i think Devonian knows too) & had no interest at all...

Last edited by lordloz; 1st October 2017 at 17:28.