closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega speedmaster first omega in space

Craftsman

Omega speedmaster first omega in space

Hi guys,

I'm really considering this as my next watch, I've wanted a speedy for a while now but 42mm is just too large for me, I'm really liking the look of this smaller first omega in space. It looks really nice on the brown leather strap too.

I will try and find one near to me but in the meantime was hoping to hear the opinions of any members here who have owned one/own one. I've never owned a chrono before but haven wanted one for a while this seems to tick all the boxes and seems to be decent value for money.

Any pictures or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Dan.

You do realise the size is almost identical to the regular Pro? The size difference is only really down to the crown gaurds. The actual bezel size is the same.

I haven't ever tried one on but my understanding is it does wear a tiny bit smaller, but appears to wear slightly higher so you should really try both on if you can.

For what it's worth I don't think even the Pro looks 42mm on the wrist.

EDIT, not my image, just grabbed from Google to help illustrate...

Last edited by Tetlee; 30th September 2017 at 14:03.

Craftsman
    This is why I love this forum, no I never realised that. Thank you very much for that excellent information. I will consider the pro now too.

Dan.

Master
    I'd try the pro on somewhere before dismissing it. I have slender wrists and an aversion to chunky ungainly watches yet I find the pro well within my tolerances.

I had a reduced, which was probably just too near the too small category for me, although I had to return it anyway within 2 weeks because of a fault.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Cheers Ste, I'm looking a the two pictures above and think on prefer the first omega in space.

Do they have the same movements is there any other differences to be aware of?

Master
    Agree with stefmcd, I have sub-7" wrists but find the 42mm Pro is very wearable.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm wearing a moon watch now on a wrist that's not much bigger then 6.5", and it's perfect.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=learningtofly;4510302]I'm wearing a moon watch now on a wrist that's not much bigger then 6.5", and it's perfect.[/QUOTE

Same size wrists as me then.... any chance of a picture please?

Here you go, everything you need to know about the FOIS in one superbly put together video. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/z3VHh1zOrjA

EDIT after seeing the above comment, I also have 6.5" wrist, here is the Speedy Pro(Tuesday but same case) on my skinny wrist.

Last edited by Tetlee; 30th September 2017 at 15:18.

Quote Originally Posted by smalltime View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'm wearing a moon watch now on a wrist that's not much bigger then 6.5", and it's perfect.
    Same size wrists as me then.... any chance of a picture please?
    Sure... )

Last edited by learningtofly; 30th September 2017 at 15:15.

Craftsman
    I could pull that off... Tony what's the tan leather strap? looks superb.

As an aside, I've owned a FOIS as well, and contrary to the comments above I did find that it wore smaller...

The reason i sold it, however, is that I concluded after some trial and error that the only Speedy for me is the classic hesalite moon watch.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 30th September 2017 at 15:44.

I could pull that off... Tony what's the tan leather strap? looks superb.
    Hirsch Heritage... similar to the Panerai Asso and the best strap - pound for pound - that I've ever owned.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 30th September 2017 at 18:05.

Craftsman
    Thanks very much Tony... I'll try them both on.

I concur that the FOIS wears noticeably smaller, due to the lack of crown guards and slimmer lugs. I prefer the FOIS case and the alpha hands, although they are less legible than the hands on the Pro.

Master
    Just a shame the FOIS has 19mm lugs, puts a few people off

Hirsch Terra - similar to the Panerai Asso and the best strap - pound for pound - that I've ever owned.
    Hirsch Terra or Hirsch Heritage? It doesn't look like what comes up on a Google image search for the Terra.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Hirsch Terra or Hirsch Heritage? It doesn't look like what comes up on a Google image search for the Terra.
    Sorry, you're quite correct - the Heritage superseded the Terra following grumblings from a certain Richemont subsidiary!

Master
    I'm wearing my Speedy Pro on a Brown Hirsch Professional, I have a 7 1/2" Wrist so no problem with fit, I agree that the Speedy Pro wears quite small to some other 42mm Watches, especially Divers, I sometimes compare my Watch to a couple of guys I work with, Seiko Monster and Steinhart OVM and the Speedy looks small in comparison!

Here's mine on the Hirsch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a FOIS that I bought from a WTB on here. I went for it over the Pro because I liked the fact it was slightly more dressy. I agree with an above comment that the hands on the FOIS can be slightly less eligible at times, but I accepted that and realistically I've never actually found it a problem.

You won't go wrong with either choice.

Blog Entries
    I've tried both - my choice would be the 'original' Speedmaster. I found the FOIS wore smaller - too small for me.

martyn.

Craftsman
    I think I'll probably be going for the FOIS, I will also pick up a pre owned one hopefully from the forum. I've noticed they can be bought brand new for around £2700.

What kind of money should I expect to pay second hand for one if these? I don't recall seeing one on SC.

I think I'll probably be going for the FOIS, I will also pick up a pre owned one hopefully from the forum. I've noticed they can be bought brand new for around £2700.

What kind of money should I expect to pay second hand for one if these? I don't recall seeing one on SC.
    To be honest I don't think you can go wrong either way, but if you're concerned about size then the FOIS is a safer bet. I sold mine on here (about a year ago, I think) for £2k.

Craftsman
    Thanks Tony, I'm definitely starting to appreciate smaller watches and I do prefer the more vintage look of the FOIS and I prefer the lack of crown guards.

£2k sounds fair, I'll post a WTB in the next week or so.

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Dan.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    I'm wearing my Speedy Pro on a Brown Hirsch Professional, I have a 7 1/2" Wrist so no problem with fit, I agree that the Speedy Pro wears quite small to some other 42mm Watches, especially Divers, I sometimes compare my Watch to a couple of guys I work with, Seiko Monster and Steinhart OVM and the Speedy looks small in comparison!

Here's mine on the Hirsch!

Wow now that looks good!

Craftsman
    I bought one recently, got a reasonable deal from Mark Worthingtons' and love it to bits. Like the OP, I prefer smaller watches and this on suits me fine. Looks great on the brown strap and it's very versatile, so you can wear it casual or a bit dressy.

The FOIS is a lovely watch that I had on order and was just about to press the button. However, it was continuously playing on my mind that the Omega was just too small so I decided to go for the Heuer Autavia 2017 instead. Still like the FOIS though and may get it one day.

Craftsman
    Mine says hello. It does wear smaller than its size would suggest, and smaller than the Speedy Pro. Perhaps due to it being on a narrowish strap? I preferred it over the Speedmaster Pro as I don't like the bracelet and thought the dial of the FOIS more interesting than the more common Speedy Pro. That said I don't wear mine too much, not sure why, but I tend to choose my Zenith EP Pilot over the FOIS.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Merch131 View Post
    Mine says hello. It does wear smaller than its size would suggest, and smaller than the Speedy Pro. Perhaps due to it being on a narrowish strap? I preferred it over the Speedmaster Pro as I don't like the bracelet and thought the dial of the FOIS more interesting than the more common Speedy Pro. That said I don't wear mine too much, not sure why, but I tend to choose my Zenith EP Pilot over the FOIS.

Let me know if your thinking about selling it if your not wearing it ;)

Apprentice
    I was dead set on a FOIS until i tried it on along with a speedy pro. Much preferred the speedy pro. I found the FOIS wore too small and the strap width seemed too small with limited options being 19mm. I dont have big wrists (6.5”) either.

Absolutely love my speedy pro, wearing my seamaster PO now and compared it feels very chunky and heavy. The speedy pro is perfect.

Master
    Hirsch Heritage... similar to the Panerai Asso and the best strap - pound for pound - that I've ever owned.
    Have my Pro on the same strap, works extremely well and a snip at 75 quid IMO.

^ same here. I have small wrists but so glad I opted for the Moonwatch and not the reduced, it really doesn't wear that big.

I was lucky enough to own both of these , however when it came to choosing which one to sell( to fund another purchase) had no qualms about letting the FOIS go . No way I would sell my speedy pro.

Master
    Big FOIS fan. It forms one half of my core duo (alongside an Explorer 214270).

I think it comes down to personal taste vs the Pro. Sapphire glass, slightly smaller wear, different dial and hands.

Both are winners. I sometimes think about adding a Pro and just collecting Speedys to indulge the watch habit.

As Tony states above the FOIS wears smaller - and much smaller for me any way.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dommorton View Post
    Wow now that looks good!
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I had the same dilemma - FOIS/Speedy Pro, Speedy Pro/FOIS???
    I chose the FOIS and am more than happy with my decision as I wanted a chronograph that was a little more dressy than sporty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Question Readability

A question for those that have had both the Speedy Pro and the FOIS.

Is the FOIS as easy to read as the `speedy Pro? In photos the white hands of the Pro stand out well from the face, the silver hands on the FOIS look less pronounced, is this the same in real life?

Thanks for the help.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ziphos View Post

Is the FOIS as easy to read as the `speedy Pro? In photos the white hands of the Pro stand out well from the face, the silver hands on the FOIS look less pronounced, is this the same in real life?

Thanks for the help.
    There are times when in certain light conditions and when held at some angles the hands on the FOIS are difficult to read, but it's a minor niggle as far as I'm concerned.
    I'd say that the hands are probably a little more legible on the Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by ziphos View Post

Thanks for the help.
    I've only ever seen comments about how the Pro is easier to read than the FOIS, but I own neither, so just an (bit too!) interested party.

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    There are times when in certain light conditions and when held at some angles the hands on the FOIS are difficult to read, but it's a minor niggle as far as I'm concerned.
    I'd say that the hands are probably a little more legible on the Pro.
    Thanks for the swift reply, and the one from from hughtrimble. I am long sighted so I have problems reading the time in poor light conditions (when not wearing reading glasses), so I need a good clear face on a watch. Sounds like the Pro would be better for me.

Agree about legibility on the FOIS , in some lights it was difficult to read , never a problem with the pro .

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Loving that combi. Which bracelet and end links is That? Still waiting for me ST :/

Master
    Lovely combo. Is yours the 'gold brown' or 'honey' version? If there was an option of that with deployant clasp, would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Lovely combo. Is yours the 'gold brown' or 'honey' version? If there was an option of that with deployant clasp, would be ideal.
    Thank you. I think it was the golden brown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    tried both on side by side recently. FOIS although smaller feels relatively thicker, didn't sit as well on my wrist. I was expecting to love it and was sure it was my next purchase, but it just didn't click for me. I think the main problem was the crystal. The sapphire has a very sharp edge above the bezel which just felt awkward, the hesalite of the pro is perfectly rounded into the bezel and feels much more natural. I didn't expect it to make such a big difference. Need to try both on!
    I see you're in northwest, there has been a couple FOIS at the trafford centre last few times I've been.

It keeps rumbling through my mind to trade my FOIS for something, but I can't think of any watches that, for the price, offer as much. I can add a few hundred, but not really any more than that ATM.

Funny enough, I bought the FOIS because it is a bit dressier, but find I rarely have chance to wear it.

I think ultimately I need to try a three color Zenith chrono.

Journeyman
    Sure... )

What is the first strap you have it on? Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    tried both on side by side recently. FOIS although smaller feels relatively thicker, didn't sit as well on my wrist. I was expecting to love it and was sure it was my next purchase, but it just didn't click for me. I think the main problem was the crystal. The sapphire has a very sharp edge above the bezel which just felt awkward, the hesalite of the pro is perfectly rounded into the bezel and feels much more natural. I didn't expect it to make such a big difference. Need to try both on!
    I see you're in northwest, there has been a couple FOIS at the trafford centre last few times I've been.
    Good catch!
    The crystal is the key. The Saphire is just wrong on the FOIS (and on any Speedy IMHO). It is thick and 'square'. The white edge kills the design. Once you look at this white ring.....you cannot go back....
    For the OP: my advice: always choose the original and go vintage if you want straight lugs. With a bit of luck, you can find 105.003 for the same price as a new FOIS....

Quote Originally Posted by scanhenry View Post
    What is the first strap you have it on? Looks great!
    I think it was answered above... Hirch Heritage.