closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Magnetization advice

Magnetization advice

I put my Tudor sub on yesterday after taking it out of the safe and last night thought that I must have set the time wrong on the watch as it was half a minute fast, reset it and checked again this morning and it appeared to have gained 30 secs overnight. Stuck it on the timegrapher and sure enough +45 secs with all orientations showing similar results. Normally it runs to within COSC so my first thought was magnetization, pulled out my trusty high tech Chinese demag tool, gave it a go and now the watch is back to normal. I dont tend to go near MRI machines etc but as we are surrounded by magnetic fields these days I'm happy that Ive got a cheap demag tool for these sort of events. I once had a watch come back from a service which was running way too fast and that had the same problem; that time I guess something occurred to to it in transit. For those who aren't too familiar with mechanical movements, if your watch suddenly shows a gain in time (not a few seconds usually, a lot more than that) first assumption will be that its been magnetized, dont start to pay for regulation or fiddle with it yourself until you have had it demagnetized.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    I put my Tudor sub on yesterday after taking it out of the safe and last night thought that I must have set the time wrong on the watch as it was half a minute fast, reset it and checked again this morning and it appeared to have gained 30 secs overnight. Stuck it on the timegrapher and sure enough +45 secs with all orientations showing similar results. Normally it runs to within COSC so my first thought was magnetization, pulled out my trusty high tech Chinese demag tool, gave it a go and now the watch is back to normal. I dont tend to go near MRI machines etc but as we are surrounded by magnetic fields these days I'm happy that Ive got a cheap demag tool for these sort of events. I once had a watch come back from a service which was running way too fast and that had the same problem; that time I guess something occurred to to it in transit. For those who aren't too familiar with mechanical movements, if your watch suddenly shows a gain in time (not a few seconds usually, a lot more than that) first assumption will be that its been magnetized, dont start to pay for regulation or fiddle with it yourself until you have had it demagnetized.
    Keith
    Thanks for the heads up Keith, there appears to be a lot of inexpensive demag tools about, do you have one that you could recommend?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Keith, there appears to be a lot of inexpensive demag tools about, do you have one that you could recommend?

Honestly I just bought the cheapest that I saw on Ebay (or maybe Amazon), didnt cost more than a tenner and it arrived quite quickly from Hong Kong. It reminds me of those Russian multimeters and light meters from the 70's in terms of plastic and build quality not impressive but it does the job. Ive had it a couple of years now and its still working fine as it should be given the only thing that should fail is the switch (hopefully the wiring is OK but Im a bit scared to open it and look!). If its any help mine has a blue case, as red push button and red LED next to the button, it also has a part number 340.400 (but that may just be for show), the brand name is tianjiu.
    Keith
    Last edited by huytonman; 29th September 2017 at 10:54.

Fair enough, cheap and cheerful it is then

I've got that one as well, it works fine (don't know how safe it is though!)

Craftsman
    I'm glad i saw this thread, I have an Orient Ray 2 that went mad. As in gaining 15 minutes every 24hrs. so on to the bay to buy a demag ?
    Is it easy to use?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burnhardlanger View Post
    Is it easy to use?
    Press button = on
    Let go of button = off

;-)
    Last edited by markrlondon; 29th September 2017 at 16:48.

The main thing to remember is to gradually move the item away from the tool before you stop it.

Craftsman
    Exactly what I wanted to hear.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TZ-UK mobile app

As stated earlier, push the button with the watch close to the gizmo (not touching it) and keeping the button pressed moved it away slowly to around 18 inches (take 3-4 seconds) then you can switch off. I also move the watch in a spiral motion as I pull it away...no idea if this is necessary or has any benefit though!
    Keith

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by burnhardlanger View Post
    I'm glad i saw this thread, I have an Orient Ray 2 that went mad. As in gaining 15 minutes every 24hrs. so on to the bay to buy a demag ?
    Is it easy to use?
    15 minutes! Hmm..for the sake of a tenner worth a try to start with.

Magnetization advice

A quick search of the forum might have found this. Worth persevering with as the instructions come part way through.

https://youtu.be/81Vuhe-ytz4
    Last edited by alfat33; 29th September 2017 at 20:53.

Master
    As others have said, the cheap Chinese jobs on eBay work fine. Rescued two 'unregulateable' watches with mine.

My Unitas Panerai is suddenly gaining 30 minutes a day. I've ordered a Chinese demagnetizer. Will report in when it arrives!

Craftsman
    Thanks for the link. Ordered the Anchor one as I have some suspicion one of mine is magnetised and running on as a result.

I bought one of the blue eBay ones. Worked ok but comes with a potentially lethal mains adaptor - neither fused nor shuttered: -

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I bought one of the blue eBay ones. Worked ok but comes with a potentially lethal mains adaptor - neither fused nor shuttered: -

I ordered the US spec lead and used my own adaptor. That looks really nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I ordered the US spec lead and used my own adaptor. That looks really nasty.
    Didn't use it either! Worryingly my son got the same with a mini-drone from China.