closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Old Subs

Master

Old Subs

A friend took his 1680 White Submariner over the other day, he had it serviced and refinished on a regular basis by Rolex over the last few decades.
    I looked at the case number and said it would have originally had a red dial, to which he said;
    “now that you mention it.....”

He’s still kicking himself.

Ha. Well at least he's enjoying his watch. There's a lot to be said for that.

Anyway the red dials look too much like a Steinhart homage for my tastes...

Why would they renew the dial? Lost Tritium lume?

Al

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Al
    Removing the dial can cause damage if part of it becomes stuck to the case, flaking tritium as well.

Don't forget Rolex want your watch to leave the service department looking like it has just come out of Goldsmiths window, which can be a killer for a rare vintage watch, especially if the original owner isn't savvy about what's going on in the market place, they may end up agreeing to anything Rolex say.

Looks like they took half the case too, the robbing barstewards.

Craftsman
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing! I guess at the time there was no reason to question the dial change.

Old Subs

Not just old subs; I recently sold a vintage speedmaster for a friend who bought it new in 1964.
    It had only ever been serviced by Omega and had had all the (now) valuable parts replaced including a replacement movement during one service without his knowledge.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Al
    just about any deterioration on hands, dial and insert would have resulted in a replacement recommendation from Rolex, right through the 60's to the 90's. This would include very minor discolouration or aging now considered favourable as patina. Often the comment on the estimate would be "damaged dial" which I guess it was. The work was generally optional but most would gave gone ahead as Rolex are the experts and your watch comes back with a nice new dial and hand set - result. Who would have thought that the deteriorated original dials and hands would become sought after. I like the look of an all white 1680 and quite possibly prefer the look to a red, which sometimes fades to be difficult to see "submariner". Loss of value compared to a red sub is a seperate and no doubt important issue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Looks like they took half the case too, the robbing barstewards.
    They certainly have! The reason you don't have your case refurbished every time it has a service.
    The insert has been changed a few times as well, it's only when you see them beside each other that you can appreciate how different they are.

Journeyman

Sounds like

Triggers broom to me.