closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Airline delays - expenses reimbursement

Airline delays - expenses reimbursement

I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience to the one I'm having with KLM.

I was due to go on a long journey, transiting in Amsterdam having started off at my local airport.

The day before my first flight, I was notified that, due to bad weather in Amsterdam, my flight had been cancelled and that I now had a seat on a flight setting off from an airport an hour’s taxi ride away.

Having arrived and checked in at the alternate airport it was announced that the flight was delayed. To cut a long story short, I missed my connecting flight, queued up with a couple of thousand other people for seven hours to get KLM to rebook my flight for the next day, and was told that because they were busy I would have to book my own hotel in Amsterdam, pay for it and reclaim the money. The same went for transport to/from the hotel, and meals.

I racked up an entirely reasonable 65 quid taxi fare from my home to the alternate airport, and a further very reasonable 254 Euro for hotel, two meals, emergency toiletries (they held my luggage overnight), and train transport to and from the hotel (much cheaper than taxis would have been).

KLM are offering me 250 Euro as ‘reasonable compensation for the length of delay you incurred’, bearing in mind that I’m not asking for compensation – I just want my costs reimbursed. Their attitude is 'take it or leave it'.

I'm thinking of taking the case to the Retail Ombudsman. If that doesn't work, maybe small claims court (or whatever it's called now).
    Last edited by Tony; 9th December 2017 at 11:29.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    My understanding is that because your flight originated in the EU with an EU carrier you are entitled to EU261/2004 compensation of €600pp provided the aircraft doors opened more than 4hrs later than originally scheduled on arrival. Will try to add a link to an article which will help...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

I'm not entitled to compensation and I'm not asking for it/about it.

I want to know how to recoup my legitimate and reasonable expenses.

I had similar with KLM, they paid my hotel and taxi expenses (they flew me back to Manchester rather than Humberside). The 250 Euro was their first offer which I rejected. Was your flight cancelled due to bad weather, or (as is often the case with them) because they had bad weather the day before and needed the take off slot - they cancel the smaller flights as it’s cheaper.

See if other planes took off at the time yours was due to fly, if so they cancelled for operational reasons and you are entitled to full compensation.

I was utterly appalled with their attitude of “look on the internet and book your own hotel” particularly as I’m a platinum card member.

Good luck

Craftsman
    My wife's Aer Lingus flight from Toronto to Dublin with a connection to Cardiff was delayed by about a minute arriving at Dublin.Therefore she missed her scheduled connection to Cardiff .After a 3 hour wait she was offered and took a flight to Bristol .She then had to arrange transport to Cardiff where her car was parked.My daughter drove from Swansea to Bristol to pick up her mother .Complaints made to Aer Lingus were disdainfully batted away .
    My wife then engaged a firm called Blueway to obtain compensation on her behalf .After 6 months she's still without any positive response from this firm ,just one bullshitting phone conversation after another .Apparently they're still waiting "for a date in court" .When asked what court this was and where it sat the stock answer is "I'll have to come back to you on that " .Thankfully we've paid no fees to Blueway .

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    I had similar with KLM, they paid my hotel and taxi expenses (they flew me back to Manchester rather than Humberside). The 250 Euro was their first offer which I rejected. Was your flight cancelled due to bad weather, or (as is often the case with them) because they had bad weather the day before and needed the take off slot - they cancel the smaller flights as it’s cheaper.

See if other planes took off at the time yours was due to fly, if so they cancelled for operational reasons and you are entitled to full compensation.

I was utterly appalled with their attitude of “look on the internet and book your own hotel” particularly as I’m a platinum card member.

Good luck
    Due to the weather situation on the day I haven't got a chance of compensation.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-a7944316.html

How did you get them to up the amount offered? They've pretty much said to me it's not up for discussion. I think it is, and they won't get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    My wife's Aer Lingus flight from Toronto to Dublin with a connection to Cardiff was delayed by about a minute arriving at Dublin.Therefore she missed her scheduled connection to Cardiff .After a 3 hour wait she was offered and took a flight to Bristol .She then had to arrange transport to Cardiff where her car was parked.My daughter drove from Swansea to Bristol to pick up her mother .Complaints made to Aer Lingus were disdainfully batted away .
    My wife then engaged a firm called Blueway to obtain compensation on her behalf .After 6 months she's still without any positive response from this firm ,just one bullshitting phone conversation after another .Apparently they're still waiting "for a date in court" .When asked what court this was and where it sat the stock answer is "I'll have to come back to you on that " .Thankfully we've paid no fees to Blueway .
    What's 'about a minute'?

Surely if things are that tight you're likely to miss connection anyway. Time to open doors and disembark etc will vary by ± 1 minute every time

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    If the flight from Canada to Ireland was only delayed by one minute, I really don't think you've any chance of compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Due to the weather situation on the day I haven't got a chance of compensation.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-a7944316.html

How did you get them to up the amount offered? They've pretty much said to me it's not up for discussion. I think it is, and they won't get away with it.
    I just spoke to them via the card services number. Did they verbally offer to pay the hotel etc?

I just spoke to them via the card services number. Did they verbally offer to pay the hotel etc?
    I have it in the letter they gave out to everyone at Schiphol, and they said was entitled to the taxi fare on Messenger the day before. Either way, I think they have a legal responsibility to reimburse my reasonable costs for transport, shelter and food.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I have it in the letter they gave out to everyone at Schiphol, and they said was entitled to the taxi fare on Messenger the day before. Either way, I think they have a legal responsibility to reimburse my reasonable costs for transport, shelter and food.
    If you have that then post it on their Facebook page. They are really quick to answer social media posts.

If you have that then post it on their Facebook page. They are really quick to answer social media posts.
    Been there. They aren't interested. They'll tell me to make a complaint and apply for reimbursement, just like they have from the start.

To update, I finally received the money that KLM owed me today.

I had to go through the Retail Omdudsman process.

Don't let these scumbags get away with it.

Apprentice
    Hey Tony, Its Sad that you had to go through all this, you should refer this article: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...LEX:32004R0261 , In the right care section it is mentioned airline should offer you meals & refreshments and if the alternative flight is day after the departure was planned for the canceled flight then they should offer you hotel accommodation & transport costs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sachinbsas View Post
    Hey Tony, Its Sad that you had to go through all this, you should refer this article: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...LEX:32004R0261 , In the right care section it is mentioned airline should offer you meals & refreshments and if the alternative flight is day after the departure was planned for the canceled flight then they should offer you hotel accommodation & transport costs as well.
    If my situation hadn't been resolved in December last year your advise would be invaluable.

We flew to Dubai this year for a holiday, All booked through BA web site, me, my wife and my then 15 year old son, 9 nights all inclusive in Hilton £2500 inclusive for the three of us, due to fly home on the Thursday afternoon but a delay meant we flew 3 am Friday morning, they told us of the delay before we checked out so we just booked the room for late check out and went out for a meal that evening. at Midnight we showered, packed and went to airport.

Got home Friday late afternoon, Sunday I filled in the online claim form on the BA site and the following Friday we got a cheque for £1600 compensation.

For once a good ending, extra day holiday and over 50% of our money back. We claimed for delay, late check out fee, evening meal and the extra carpark. Couldn't believe how easy BA made it