closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Red - How Many Versions?

Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Red - How Many Versions?

Steinhart recently released a Mark 3 version of it's Vintage Red watch. The watch has been discussed on here and one has even appeared in SC. This had me thinking how many different versions are there and what are the differences.

In other collecting circles enthusiasts and collectors put together information on what they know and other people add to it, so that when people are considering a vintage Rolex sports model etc or a pre-moon Speedmaster there is a source of information that people can turn to. These are never official, but usually are quite accurate. I thought that I would have a stab at detailing the chronological order of the Steinhart Red.

For sake of arguement, let's call the Mark 1 the Mark 1. Clearly it wasn't at the time of release but as the Mark 2 came out the earlier version became known as the Mark 1. Let's stick with that logic for clarity.

So far I have come up with five versions.

Let's start with the Mark 1:

So what's different and what to look for. A black dial, greenish plots, a forward slash (/) in the depth rating and the absence of the number 10 on the bezel insert. But did you know that there are at least three different versions:

Mark 1 Version1 (my guess pre 2010)

The main distinguishing feature is the caseback, which is really early for Steinhart. The crystal is acrylic and from the images looks more like a top hat than a domed crystal. The dial is a standard Mark 1 dial.

Mark 1 Version 2 (my guess 2010 - 2012)

A change to the tradiditional caseback but with the acrylic crystal and quite definitely a domed crystal.

Ff

Mark 1 Version 3 (my guess 2012 -2014)

The most common of the Mark 1 variants with the introduction of a sapphire crystal. All versions have a sapphire crystal from this point on.

Mark 2 (my guess 2014 to 2017)

A backward step in most people's estimation, the introduction of a charcoal grey dial, brighter yellow/brown plots and an equals sign (=) in the depth rating and the number 10 appears on the bezel insert.

Mark 3 (introduced 2017)

A welcome return to blacker dial. I also understand that the domed crystal is a little shallower than the previous versions, but the yellow/brown plots from the Mark 2 are still there.

Conclusions: I didn't know that the 1:1 and 1:2 existed until Red (redmonaco) told me he was hunting for an early acrylic crystal. Up until today I had never seen either of these watches in the flesh or even listed for sale, they are rare these days.

In the past I have owned 4 (yes, four) 1:3 with the sapphire crystal, but following a WTB for number 5 I was absolutely astonished to be offered a 1:2 and the images above in that sub section and the wrist shot at the top of the article are of my watch.

There is no guarantee that the above is the complete picture, so if anyone has a version that is outside of my five, do let me know and we can update.

Hopefully this will be useful to people new to Steinhart and help them get their heads around the differences of the different models.

If anyone has a 1:1 it would be interesting to have some better images of the crystal and a few details of age and where it came from etc.

Thanks for reading.
    Ken
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 26th September 2017 at 16:30.

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    Good little read Ken. I've had 50 plus Steinharts pass throwing my hands over the years, and I did a write up on case back differences and bezel differences a few years back on the Ocean series. It's still viewable if you do a search but all the images are gone now thanks to PB ! . But there is still info there which may help .

You will note that the bezel on the Mark 1 version 1 and some version 2 watches have polished outer teeth and a different bevel profile to the later watches. Early watches could have bezel parts replaced but the later ones were non removable and you had to replace the whole case which came with everything including crown and crystal and case back for around 80 euros, but they stop supplying the general public with this option many years ago .

Great write up Ken - and I recall dietcokeman, your article on the saga of the bezel!

I still wear your Mk1 (.3!) regularly Ken and have to say, its a lovely thing to own. I've since bought in a replacement bezel from Steinhart (greenish pip, no numbers until 20) as a spare. Its a keeper.. and is still maintaining fantastic time. (easily on a par with my Omega SMP coaxial at no more than a second or two a day).

Thanks guys, yes looking at the outer edge of the 1:1 it does look polished. I lifted that image from another forum mainly to illustrate the caseback.

I have seen your watch Johnny (1:3) on the Friday thread now and again and seriously missed it. I am delighted to have got an acrylic crystal. I much prefer them to sapphire crystal, which if you damage need replacing.

The seller sent me an image of the Watch:

He had bashed it. I was happy to take it as was and it took less than a minute with Polywatch to sort it out. It was no more than a very thin layer of paint that had attached to the crystal when he banged it.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 26th September 2017 at 19:02.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Steinhart recently released a Mark 3 version of it's Vintage Red watch. The watch has been discussed on here and one has even appeared in SC. This had me thinking how many different versions are there and what are the differences.

In other collecting circles enthusiasts and collectors put together information on what they know and other people add to it, so that when people are considering a vintage Rolex sports model etc or a pre-moon Speedmaster there is a source of information that people can turn to. These are never official, but usually are quite accurate. I thought that I would have a stab at detailing the chronological order of the Steinhart Red.

For sake of arguement, let's call the Mark 1 the Mark 1. Clearly it wasn't at the time of release but as the Mark 2 came out the earlier version became known as the Mark 1. Let's stick with that logic for clarity.

So far I have come up with five versions.

Let's start with the Mark 1:

So what's different and what to look for. A black dial, greenish plots, a forward slash (/) in the depth rating and the absence of the number 10 on the bezel insert. But did you know that there are at least three different versions:

Mark 1 Version1 (my guess pre 2010)

The main distinguishing feature is the caseback, which is really early for Steinhart. The crystal is acrylic and from the images looks more like a top hat than a domed crystal. The dial is a standard Mark 1 dial.

Mark 1 Version 2 (my guess 2010 - 2012)

A change to the tradiditional caseback but with the acrylic crystal and quite definitely a domed crystal.

Ff

Mark 1 Version 3 (my guess 2012 -2014)

The most common of the Mark 1 variants with the introduction of a sapphire crystal. All versions have a sapphire crystal from this point on.

Mark 2 (my guess 2014 to 2017)

A backward step in most people's estimation, the introduction of a charcoal grey dial, brighter yellow/brown plots and an equals sign (=) in the depth rating and the number 10 appears on the bezel insert.

Mark 3 (introduced 2017)

A welcome return to blacker dial. I also understand that the domed crystal is a little shallower than the previous versions, but the yellow/brown plots from the Mark 2 are still there.

Conclusions: I didn't know that the 1:1 and 1:2 existed until Red (redmonaco) told me he was hunting for an early acrylic crystal. Up until today I had never seen either of these watches in the flesh or even listed for sale, they are rare these days.

In the past I have owned 4 (yes, four) 1:3 with the sapphire crystal, but following a WTB for number 5 I was absolutely astonished to be offered a 1:2 and the images above in that sub section and the wrist shot at the top of the article are of my watch.

There is no guarantee that the above is the complete picture, so if anyone has a version that is outside of my five, do let me know and we can update.

Hopefully this will be useful to people new to Steinhart and help them get their heads around the differences of the different models.

If anyone has a 1:1 it would be interesting to have some better images of the crystal and a few details of age and where it came from etc.

Thanks for reading.
    Ken
    Hi Ken

Any chance you can re-upload the images for this thread? I'd like to know which version on the Vintage Red I have, its got a acylic crystal and a case back with Steinhart engraved in a fairly simple font (REF. S0105.09)

Thanks!

Or post pics of yours?

The bezel and the caseback might be a clue. I bought an OBDLC in late 2010, it had the new caseback with the guy riding the mythical whateveryoucallit, but the bezel was the older fluted style. At that time the Vintage DR (I wish I’d bought one) had a black dial and greenish C3 markers like my OBDLC.

Craftsman
    Hopefully these pics show the relevant bits to identify it.

Last edited by minskii; 10th September 2018 at 15:40. Reason: Broken link

Quote Originally Posted by minskii View Post
    Hopefully these pics show the relevant bits to identify it.

You Sir have a very rare and highly desirable 1.1 - yours is the very first incarnation of this watch and would date it to around 2010. Until last week I had only seen a single image on Google until someone else on here revealed that they also have one.

I have never seen one listed for sale.

Ken

Craftsman
    Wow, I picked it up on sales corner back in 2010 for a couple of hundred pounds if I remember correctly. It’s not a daily wearer but usually my holiday watch, I’ll pick something else next time given it’s rarity

Thanks for your help Ken

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Same as mine then a 1.1 version with acrylic front. Just took a pic of the rear

That is mad. In the opening post I invited anyone with a 1.1 to come forward and show their watches and nothing happened. Now in the past three or four days I have seen three.

Master
    They're clearly 10 a penny..... :-P

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    They're clearly 10 a penny..... :-P
    I suspect back in 2010 or even earlier Steinhart were far smaller than they are today and it was probably people on watch forums who formed most of their customer base and a lot of those forum members are probably not active anymore, so those early watches are just being worn as beaters or sat rotting in a watch box.

Master
    Plausible theory.

I suspect back in 2010 or even earlier Steinhart were far smaller than they are today and it was probably people on watch forums who formed most of their customer base and a lot of those forum members are probably not active anymore, so those early watches are just being worn as beaters or sat rotting in a watch box.
    I think for some of us, those older Steinies are more appealing. A less Rolex-y bezel, simple caseback, no "faux vintage" lume markers -- the older Ocean Ones are nicer IMHO.

I bought mine from Neil at Chronomaster.Still complete with box, bracelet unworn.😉

Quote Originally Posted by watchfan_66 View Post
    I regret selling my Ocean Ti500 and 'am now considering this model. Being UK based should I buy direct or via Chronomaster? Thanks.

Some great knowledge shared from Steinhart fans on here. I love the brand (great RRPs/value, no gimmicky sales etc).
    Up until about a week ago I would have said Chronomaster, but I was made aware of someone who bought from him recently and the watch that turned up had clearly been returned to him then just sent out again. The watch had to be returned and a new untouched Watch requested, which to be fair they delivered.

Sort of put me off a bit, I think in future if I was buying new I would buy from Steinhart direct. There are no import duties or VAT etc as they are in the EU, so the price you pay is the final total, so to speak.

The vintage Red available new is the Mark 3 with the black dial and the bigger yellow plots. If you want a more desirable earlier version, like the Mark 1 pictured in this thread you will need to buy second hand.

I have one listed on e-bay at present

I have one listed on e-bay at present
    Which one, Ken?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Which one, Ken?
    A Vintage Red Mark 1 - it's also on SC.

A Vintage Red Mark 1 - it's also on SC.
    Getcha. I was looking for the 1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Getcha. I was looking for the 1.1
    Sorry, it's the 1.3 which was the first version with the sapphire (slightly) domed crystal.

Interesting stuff!

I believe I'm the fellow who showed Ken my recently acquired Red original version and he was surprised to see my pictures and now they're all coming out of the woodwork...after an exchange of emails with Ken and him telling me it was the first he'd seen other than a google image, mine was swaddled up in cotton wool just like the baby Jesus and put away to be be fondled and stroked just like a rarer than rare thing...joking!

The original Red with the acrylic glass is a lovely thing. The acrylic glass gives the dial a lovely, warm and slightly distorted view; it has become a firm favourite. I've put mine on Steinharts 22/18 mm bracelet - much better construction than the supplied bracelet and the watch seems a little better balanced. Well worth the 55 Euro's from Steinhart themselves.

The Red is in good company with Ken's ex Gnomon Ltd edition OVM, that too has a gorgeous and large domed acrylic glass. Compared to my OVM with the slightly domed saphire glass there is no comparison IMO. The saphire glass version of the OVM is a looker no doubt, but that domed acrylic gives it a fabulous look. Two fine watches that I feel lucky to have!

I bought my first Steinhart around 2008, an Ocean One GMT and it came in a gloss piano black presentation box - really made the watch feel special for not a lot of cash, £240.00 I think. It's a shame they don't still do them. Since then I've had a few come and go but the addition of the early Red and Gnomon OVM means I feel certain they're staying.
    I did the Rolex "thing" in my early days on the forum, they were fine watches but I was never really sure that I felt any affinity for them and they were moved on. Sea Dweller for £2400? - perhaps I should have kept it and sold it on now in the crazy world that Rolex sports watches seem to exist in? No, not really, no regrets and the hobby (or obsession) was never about making money.
    I might have a deep down hankering for a Rolex style watch, if I do, then the Steinhart's fills that need admirably for very sensible money. Tremendous value all round.

Finally, picking up on the comment on where to buy, I'd go to Steinhart direct. Chronomaster has a good reputation around the bazaars and I'm not going to damage it. I did buy a a Ocean Vintage GMT recently, I'd read that some had an issue with the GMT hand not hitting the markers - misaligned. I asked that my purchase be inspected and was told it was a thing of the past. Well, it wasn't...mine was miles out and the watch wasn't fully stickered like they usually are and it had rub marks on the bracelet. I suspect it was a return - to be fair a replacement was sent out which was properly new. A one off from Chronomaster I'm sure, but if I ask for a watch to be checked for a issue then I expect, not unreasonably, to be given a watch without problems.

Enjoy your Steinharts!

David

* Pictures, if I could I would...perhaps later if I join photobucket.
    Last edited by jacinabox; 11th September 2018 at 12:32.