closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Photoshopped images unraveled?

Blog Entries

Photoshopped images unraveled?

Hi just need some advice from someone who knows about such things.
    Is it possible to tell if an image or screenshot has been edited?
    I think someone is trying to accuse me of posting something on Facebook, which I didn't. They apparently have a screenshot (of a post I didn't make!)
    Any advice appreciated thanks.
    Ian

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Hi just need some advice from someone who knows about such things.
    Is it possible to tell if an image or screenshot has been edited?
    I think someone is trying to accuse me of posting something on Facebook, which I didn't. They apparently have a screenshot (of a post I didn't make!)
    Any advice appreciated thanks.
    Ian
    Yes its usually quite easy.
    However the additional compression artifacts might hide certain tell tales from a strictly forensic perspective.
    Its an area of expertise of mine and in 99.9% of cases its ridiculously easy to identify some shenanigans especially if its just been knocked up by an enthusiastic amateur.

If its a fake facebook screenshot wouldn’t you be able to prove it didn’t exist online anyway ?

it's hard to tell if photoshopping is done properly by someone who knows how to do it.

there is a way - take a look in file properties and check if file has been saved in photoshop. If it is, then it also might be manipulated.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    it's hard to tell if photoshopping is done properly by someone who knows how to do it.

there is a way - take a look in file properties and check if file has been saved in photoshop. If it is, then it also might be manipulated.
    I can do it right down at the pixel level and conform to all sort if esoteric technical and imaging criteria and I would not stake my life on another expert being able to tell.

Digital is almost impossible to fake without leaving telltales. I’d actually say its easier to fake something in camera that would be more difficult to prove the veracity of.

For exampe a screengrab is one thing. A photo taken with a camera off a screen would be much more difficult to analyse effectively. Impossible I would say.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Yes its usually quite easy.
    However the additional compression artifacts might hide certain tell tales from a strictly forensic perspective.
    Its an area of expertise of mine and in 99.9% of cases its ridiculously easy to identify some shenanigans especially if its just been knocked up by an enthusiastic amateur.

If its a fake facebook screenshot wouldn’t you be able to prove it didn’t exist online anyway ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post

Hi apparently the post has been conveniently 'removed'. I'm waiting for the scrote to show me the so called 'screenshot'.
    Thanks for your help on this, it is causing all sorts of trouble.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Hi apparently the post has been conveniently 'removed'. I'm waiting for the scrote to show me the so called 'screenshot'.
    Thanks for your help on this, it is causing all sorts of trouble.
    In that case I think you'd be better off not worrying about proving anything.

If the scrote in question continues to make allegations against you on the basis of something than can no longer be located online then I'd suggest you seek legal redress rather than worrying about proving pixels are fake or not.

Craftsman
    It's very hard to tell nowadays, it all depends on the skill level of the Photoshop user, and their eye for detail too.
    If they are rubbish then yes you can tell (additional artifacting.etc), wrong use of fonts, kerning, each image has different tell-tales.

Websites such as Image Edited can also help by analysing whatever photo you upload;

http://imageedited.com/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    It's very hard to tell nowadays, it all depends on the skill level of the Photoshop user, and their eye for detail too.
    If they are rubbish then yes you can tell (additional artifacting.etc), wrong use of fonts, kerning, each image has different tell-tales.

Websites such as Image Edited can also help by analysing whatever photo you upload;

http://imageedited.com/
    I just put a totally unaltered photo from my iphone through that site and its come back as “questionable”. 😐

You probably wouldn’t want to use it as irrefutable proof.

Craftsman
    No, definitely not, but used in conjunction it can help back up investigations 👍🏻

Master
    To be honest you can chuck it at me and I’ll see if I can bring out any tell tales.

Grand Master
    Best to avoid Facebook IMO

Screenshot is very different to an actual posted image.

A posted image may reveal if it has been tampered with - screenshot has zero potential for that except when the shot was taken.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........