closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pelagos help please

Master

Pelagos help please

Evening fellas.

I was wandering down London Street in Norwich today and stopped for a chat with the chaps that stand outside Windsor Bishop (like door men they are, but well informed). I was really taken by the Pelagos, just a lovely clear piece which I’d never paid much attention to before.

So I’ve been glancing through posts on here, eBay listings and Chrono24 posts, but I’m completely confused. Some are ‘two liners’, some seem not to be and have four lines of text, then there’s different model numbers for seemingly the same watch, some are left hand drive and there’s a model with what looks like aged lume. There also seems to be an in-house variant and an ETA variant.

Help please! Does anyone know of a finite list with a timeline and specs? A rough idea of what I should be paying for a clean used one with papers would be handy. I can’t stretch to £3k right now, closer to £2k I can do.

Thanks chaps.
    Last edited by Filterlab; 25th September 2017 at 21:56.

Pelagos help please

First Pelagos had black face with ETA movement. Then there came the in house movement in black face and blue also. Not sure if there was ever a blue faced ETA powered one. Then more recently is the LHD model which has aged lume and the crown on the left. I think that was the order.

There has been debate over whether the ETA model might be more desirable due to less text on the face, potentially cheaper servicing costs and likely to be less produced in the longer term. No clear answer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    First Pelagos had black face with ETA movement. Then there came the in house movement in black face and blue also. Not sure if there was ever a blue faced ETA powered one. Then more recently is the LHD model which has aged lume and the crown on the left. I think that was the order.

There has been debate over whether the ETA model might be more desirable due to less text on the face, potentially cheaper servicing costs and likely to be less produced in the longer term. No clear answer.
    Yes, the two-liners are the ones with ETA movement, black only, and the five-liners are with in-house-movement, available in black and blue. The latter has no index at 3 and says "manufacture calibre" on the caseback. It might well be the case that the ETA ones are cheaper to service but the in-house movement has a significantly greater power reserve and you really feel the difference in terms of "crown action" (hard to explain, you need to feel it, no wandering minute hand and very precise catching, sorry...).

Master
    Thanks chaps, clearing a bit for me now.

I think I'd prefer the in-house movement, I know just what you mean about the crown action. Minute hand jump can be slightly annoying when setting.

So...

2012 to 2015
    Two lines of text
    Black only (25500TN?)
    Marker plus date at 3
    ETA movement

2015 on
    Five lines of text
    Black or blue (25600TN or 25600TB?)
    Date only at 3
    Tudor movement

LHD version available with aged lume

Does that look about right?

Banned
    The blue came out when the in house movement was released so blue is unavailable in the eta 2 line version . The lefty with the aged lumed dial is in my opinion the nicest but is selling at a premium and is difficult to buy under list price at the moment
    Last edited by Northlondoner; 27th September 2017 at 08:19. Reason: Spelling

Master
    Ive had Pelagos with both in-house and ETA movements. To suggest that the in-house movement is better because it winds/sets better and has a longer power reserve is irrelevant if its a daily wearer. The ETA powered version I have is more accurate that the in-house version I owned. That said, the in-house movement was better at time keeping than some more expensive watches I've owned.

Plus, if you can find one, the 2 liners were being sold off cheap and might be sought after in the future ;)
    Last edited by stefaulkner; 27th September 2017 at 11:35.

Master
    I like both dial configurations to be honest, wouldn’t mind either and would be happy with an ETA. Prices seem to vary heavily though for the two liners; from as little as £1,675 to £2,400 (not all are necessarily still for sale at the lower end of the price bracket).

I’ll wait for one within my limits to appear on SC. I like the one Bryan has for sale but I can’t go that high at the moment. Such is closing one business and starting another. It’ll pay off though*.

*or it’ll bankrupt me. :0)
    Last edited by Filterlab; 27th September 2017 at 14:39.

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    I've had err.... 5 of these ! 2 two liners and 3 five liners, they all kept pretty spot on time, but the longer power reserve of the five liners is a big attraction for me . Built quality is great and the folding clasp with the mechanism for expansion is brilliant . Personally I prefer the dial of the five liners, but either makes a great everyday watch. The bracelets are a bit of a scratch magnet, but they can easily be rebrushed to look great again. Bezel action is top draw on these, and the lume is fabulous, only thing that pips it in my opinion and only just at that is the Fifty Fathoms . In my opinion it only looks good on the bracelet or a NATO, the rubber doesn't look right in my opinion, but good that you get that option with the watch. Great value watches . I don't have one now, ....but I doubt that will last long !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dietcokeman View Post
    I've had err.... 5 of these ! 2 two liners and 3 five liners, they all kept pretty spot on time, but the longer power reserve of the five liners is a big attraction for me . Built quality is great and the folding clasp with the mechanism for expansion is brilliant . Personally I prefer the dial of the five liners, but either makes a great everyday watch. The bracelets are a bit of a scratch magnet, but they can easily be rebrushed to look great again. Bezel action is top draw on these, and the lume is fabulous, only thing that pips it in my opinion and only just at that is the Fifty Fathoms . In my opinion it only looks good on the bracelet or a NATO, the rubber doesn't look right in my opinion, but good that you get that option with the watch. Great value watches . I don't have one now, ....but I doubt that will last long !
    Five! Blimey mate, that is a Pelagos addiction. I've been eyeing yours up but it sounds like it's gone now. :0) Let me know when you want to sell the next one (once my fund is full).