closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any vintage Longine experts?

Any vintage Longine experts?

A friend of mine has asked me to help sell his watch but I'm not much of expert on these! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

It needs a service as you can see. Date wheel doesn't work and when winding the crown it feels a bit stuff but runs fine.

This is not a covert sales post and any PM's asking to buy it will be ignored!

Thanks,

Steve

Not an expert but with the movement needing a service and the rather badly redone dial it won't be worth ver much and if solid gold most likely scrap value.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    A friend of mine has asked me to help sell his watch but I'm not much of expert on these! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

It needs a service as you can see. Date wheel doesn't work and when winding the crown it feels a bit stuff but runs fine.

This is not a covert sales post and any PM's asking to buy it will be ignored!

Thanks,

Steve

I'm not sure what you mean with the dial but it may look badly done as the glass is scratched. It's warped some of the dial a bit.

It defiantly looks to be a redone as the text is very thick.

Would you have a picture of the movement?

Sent from my F8331 using TZ-UK mobile app

The word 'Longines' doesn't appear to be central under the 12 index.

Grand Master
    Parts availability can be a real headache for old Longines watches. The fact that the date doesn't work is a worry, it doesn't just need a service it potentially needs a repair........ there is a difference!

As for the dial, I think the text looks a bit thick but I don't see that as a huge negative ( unlike some) This is never going to be a particularly valuable watch so a refinished dial will have minimal effect.......the alternative would probably have been been a scruffy dial that looked a mess.

Putting a value on a non-runner is always difficult......... and we don'tknow the case material either!

Paul

Thank you guys. I'll get the back off tonight and have a look. It's had a new caseback at some point too which appears to be SS.

Steve

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    Thank you guys. I'll get the back off tonight and have a look. It's had a new caseback at some point too which appears to be SS.

Steve
    If it's a SS caseback the case will be either gold plate or gold-capped.....or at least it should be! I`ve had some excellent gold plated and gold capped watches on the bench but generally they tend to be knocked around and the gold is usually worn through on the edges. I have a couple of gold capped Omegas in this state that I bought for parts a couple of years back, unless the gold's in really nice condition the market for them is limited.

Paul

Sorry for lack of reply gents. Taken a couple of photos. Quality isn't great as it was difficult to try and capture properly. Can give it another go if needed though.

Sent from my Pixel using TZ-UK mobile app

I have to start by saying that I am in no way an expert, but that movement looks pretty rough and nothing at all like what I'd expect to find in a vintage Longines.

I literally have no idea. As above there was a bit of a discussion on the dial, so I'm now concerned this may not be the real deal!

Please could you tell us what it says on the movement? I can't read it in the photo.

I'm no expert neither but this movement is kind of what I was expecting from the dial and case.

If this watch was on Ebay with these photos I would assume it was an outright fake. What does it say on the movement?

I'll take the back off again tonight. I made a note and now can't find it...

Steve

Craftsman
    Not a Longines.
    Movement isn't & the case doesn't look right. Also the glass and dial look so wrong.
    Last edited by me32dc; 17th October 2017 at 16:22. Reason: cant grammar well

Does this help at all?

15 Jewels
    Unadjusted
    Swiss Made
    ??????

Just my guess

The movement should say longines, should have a cal number and movement number. What was on the inside case back?

It looks like a Baumgartner 582 cheap-as-chips pin lever escapement. In other words, that is a fake Longines. Sorry dude.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...ner_582_DIGCLD

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    It looks like a Baumgartner 582 cheap-as-chips pin lever escapement. In other words, that is a fake Longines. Sorry dude.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...ner_582_DIGCLD
    I'll pop it off tonight just to confirm but it does indeed look very similar! No need to feel sorry for me... it's not mine but a friends. Looks like I'll have to break it to him - gently!

Steve

OK had to read it under a loupe but it says:-

Seventeen Jewels
    Unadjusted
    Swiss Made
    21 600 A/h
    Ilona Ltd
    GP

Case back is stamped Ilona Ltd too.

Fake then?

There's nothing to suggest that Ilona is a Longines sub-brand so I'd say it's a fake.

http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php?sit...rk#sucheMarker
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Thanks CB. I'll let him know!

Steve