closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What's a Rolex Submariner 14060M Worth?

Master

What's a Rolex Submariner 14060M Worth?

I'd be interested in what people thought this would be worth through an auction. It's a 2008 vintage that's clearly in need of some TLC and, apparently, the movement isn't currently functioning.

The guide price was £700 - £1000.

Grand Master
    It’ll probably do £1200-£1500 UTH probably wouldn’t be much to put right
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    I'd be interested in what people thought this would be worth through an auction. It's a 2008 vintage that's clearly in need of some TLC and, apparently, the movement isn't currently functioning.

The guide price was £700 - £1000.
    Guide prices are auction parlance, tempters to draw punters to the candle.

Any reason for the crown being pulled-out for the photo?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I don't think it's necessarily for the photo, rather to hack the movement until the watch can be repaired. You'd definitely want the watch to be stopped in case any tiny crystal fragments get into the movement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    When a glass has been smashed and there are shards loose on the dial, pulling out the crown to activate the hack will prevent the moving hands scraping them over the dial surface, causing more damage than necessary.

Edit : obviously posted at same time as Gary!

Haywood

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    I don't think it's necessarily for the photo, rather to hack the movement until the watch can be repaired. You'd definitely want the watch to be stopped in case any tiny crystal fragments get into the movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    When a glass has been smashed and there are shards loose on the dial, pulling out the crown to activate the hack will prevent the moving hands scraping them over the dial surface, causing more damage than necessary.

Edit : obviously posted at same time as Gary!

Haywood
    Yet another thing learnt from this forum just this evening - thank you both

Master
    Well I was hoping that it would fetch around £1500 given the smashed crystal and reasons for it not functioning to be discerned.

It shot past there and the hammer price was £3200 and then there was 27% buyers premium to add, so final price of slightly north of £4K.....madness!

Well I was hoping that it would fetch around £1500 given the smashed crystal and reasons for it not functioning to be discerned.

It shot past there and the hammer price was £3200 and then there was 27% buyers premium to add, so final price of slightly north of £4K.....madness!
    That is bidders remorse surely, plenty of 14060M's for around low £4K without a smashed crystal..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    That is bidders remorse surely, plenty of 14060M's for around low £4K without a smashed crystal..
    I would think so. I stopped at £1600.

Writing was on the wall from the start tbh, most lots were fetching silly money from the start imo. There was a Rose Gold (116515) Daytona watch head, so no bracelet, went for £10k exc buyers premium
    Last edited by NigeG; 25th September 2017 at 21:38. Reason: Mistake in Daytona description

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bloody hell. I remember a head only 14060 going for sub 2K on here only a coule of years ago. How times have changed!

I bought a new one for £2,900.

Those were the days.

Master
    Month after month, potty auction bidders pay more for unwarrantied and tatty watches than they would have to pay for better examples with guarantees if they spent just half an hour looking around the internet for watch dealers.

Where does this bottomless pool of feckless individuals with sufficient money come from? Don’t forget, it takes at least two plant-pots with their hands in the air to push each lot past silly.

Can’t criticise Fellows - it’s their job to get the best price and I won’t deny I’ve benefited from the phenomenon many times. I just wish this sea of generous buyers would discover my shops!

H

Master
    Auctions are silly things most of the time. I stopped using them a long time ago as everything seems to go for crazy money.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Can’t criticise Fellows - it’s their job to get the best price and I won’t deny I’ve benefited from the phenomenon many times. I just wish this sea of generous buyers would discover my shops!

H
    Funny you should say that as I looked on your website and you have two 14060M's for around £4.3k so not much more than this smashed one!

Master
    Funny you should say that as I looked on your website and you have two 14060M's for around £4.3k so not much more than this smashed one!
    The smashed Fellows’ watch is a "four-liner" which excites some even more than a two-liner does......still potty though.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 26th September 2017 at 00:30.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Auctions are silly things most of the time. I stopped using them a long time ago as everything seems to go for crazy money.
    You say that but I made a right rick last year, I was at a small auction and there was a gold Day Date on a leather strap no box or papers and a full diamond bezel, reserve was low so I expected it to lure in the bids but nobody bid so it went unsold, I asked at the end of auction and they said the seller wanted £2k so with fees about £2,5k, I submitted an offer of £1800 but nothing came of it, perhaps I should have just paid the reserve, got it serviced and replaced the del boy diamond bezel with a fluted.. got to be worth £4k..

I saw one of my patients wearing one yesterday. It looked great.

I have one and wouldn't sell unless the offer was silly. Mine is BNIB, mind. And no, this is not a sales post.

- - - Updated - - -

I saw one of my patients wearing one yesterday. It looked great.

I have one and wouldn't sell unless the offer was silly. Mine is BNIB, mind. And no, this is not a sales post.

I would think so. I stopped at £1600.

Writing was on the wall from the start tbh, most lots were fetching silly money from the start imo. There was a Rose Gold (116515) Daytona watch head, so no bracelet, went for £10k exc buyers premium
    I hope who ever bought the Daytona had a look at it first, as they might be in for a big shock if they didn't.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I’ve bid multiple times on Fellows with what I though were strong offers on slightly less popular models but some of the bids are extraordinary once you add all the charges. I don’t know whether it’s people who aren’t aware of these charges or if it’s foreign money taking advantage of weak £.

Master
    You say that but I made a right rick last year, I was at a small auction and there was a gold Day Date on a leather strap no box or papers and a full diamond bezel, reserve was low so I expected it to lure in the bids but nobody bid so it went unsold, I asked at the end of auction and they said the seller wanted £2k so with fees about £2,5k, I submitted an offer of £1800 but nothing came of it, perhaps I should have just paid the reserve, got it serviced and replaced the del boy diamond bezel with a fluted.. got to be worth £4k..
    There'll always be the odd thing. I did okay with a couple of Omegas I bought where I managed to get them cheap enough. After servicing though, they just ended up at their true value, but at least I didn't lose. However most of the time, they make zero sense. None. Nada. Nothing.

Master
    In the past I've had a degree of success in buying slightly more obscure watches from auctions and I find Fellows to be more trustworthy in describing their lots than others. However in recent months some of the hammer prices beggars belief.

I thought that this particular auction might be different as it's primarily watch parts, or watches that are spares or repairs only. I was gobsmacked at some of the prices that lots were fetching.

I was after the 14060 but only with a view to getting it serviced and repaired at RSC and hoping to move it on for a small profit. There was also a Polar Explorer II that looked like it had suffered water damage and had had a hard life, guide price £400 - £500. Hammer price £2200. I can only think that some bidders do not consider the buyers premium or I'm missing something somewhere

I was after the 14060 but only with a view to getting it serviced and repaired at RSC and hoping to move it on for a small profit.
    Lovely jubbly.

I was after the 14060 but only with a view to getting it serviced and repaired at RSC and hoping to move it on for a small profit.

This.....could get messi, very messi...!

Master
    Today’s Watch Parts auction at Fellows surprised me.....this same 4 Line 14060 went through again. This time the Hammer Price was £3000.

Oddly enough the same Polar Explorer 2 also appeared again but I didn’t see what that sold for.

I wonder if the original buyer got an estimate for the damage, realised they’d paid too much and has now “taken a bath” to get out of it

Master

Same as always!!

Fellows has always been the highest prices achieved for what really are some poor watches!!
    It says sold yet sometimes 40% can bee seen at the next auction???? The auctioneer is silly fast and doesn’t mess around so people really do get carried along when it comes to Fellows!

When I first started looking at watches properly I tried Fellows and bought the wife a couple of Rolex but they were clearly jewellers and pawn shop rejects so I’ve steered clear ever since!
    Only time I’ve scored ok on a watch for the collection was a local auction and I ended up with 5, yes 5 Rolex bracelets with a vintage Datejust!
    The guy had clearly had it from new and had replaced the bracelet at every service! There was even a riveted stretchy bracelet that I sold to recoup some of the fees etc !!

Saying that it’s the only time it’s happened and unless it’s for a car I now stay away from auctions as it’s a major gamble unless you want some for spare parts🤗🤗

Chris

Craftsman
    there is a reason I stay away from auctions

Master
    People go nuts at auctions. I attended a clearance auction recently for a bust electrical goods retailer. I wanted a second freezer and researched retail prices for those on offer prior to the event. All 4 freezers on offer went for more than retail BEFORE commission etc added. Wtf??

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    People go nuts at auctions. I attended a clearance auction recently for a bust electrical goods retailer. I wanted a second freezer and researched retail prices for those on offer prior to the event. All 4 freezers on offer went for more than retail BEFORE commission etc added. Wtf??

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I’ve seen the same at farm clearing sales, where old used equipment goes for more than we have bought new - just crazy, but some people like to bid
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GregR View Post
    I bought a new one for £2,900.

Those were the days.

Over double what I paid in Switzerland 17 years ago then .