closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Conundrum of New Old Stock

The Conundrum of New Old Stock

How many of you have NOS watches and do you ever wear them? I have a couple and they just sit in the box. I recently got this Orfina and I am almost afraid to touch it!

IMG_4593 by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

That's a delightful example. I'd find it very hard not to wear it, but part of its charm is I suppose just how minty mint it is.

I realised after buying many a rare and precious watch that they were not for me. Lovely watch mind!

Master
    Massive conundrum. Watches were made to be worn, but they are only new until then. Depends on the age and value I suppose.

I have two. Both bought brand new from dealers, now out of production models, both watches still stickered up and have never been anywhere near a wrist. Second hand yes, but also untouched mint condition.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsays View Post
    How many of you have NOS watches and do you ever wear them?
    Surely as soon as you buy and wear it - it's an excellent condition second hand watch, not NOS?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Surely as soon as you buy and wear it - it's an excellent condition second hand watch, not NOS?
    NIB/New in box or LNIB/Like new in box I suppose?

Not NOS to me - that's only when it's coming from a dealer/shop. No idea why I feel that way though!

I think this when I see ultra low mileage classic cars for sale at well over the asking price of a normal one. Doesn't seem a lot of point in paying the premium for something you can't use. That Porsche Design watch is uber cool though imo.

Master
    Took me a week to bring myself to take the tags off this

If you start to wear a NOS watch then you're potentially reducing the value of it and reducing the supply of such items to fellow collectors. However, the world could end tomorrow so I prefer to wear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    If you start to wear a NOS watch then you're potentially reducing the value of it and reducing the supply of such items to fellow collectors. However, the world could end tomorrow so I prefer to wear them.

True. I cannot bring myself to wear a NOS watch, and usually they don't stay with me long. Having said that, the hunt and unboxing are the drug for me, and then I am looking for the next unobtainable thing.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsays View Post
    ...... I recently got this Orfina and I am almost afraid to touch it! ......
    I know the feeling very well :)

Almost same model. The watch head is/was close to perfect/NOS and the matt black surface is so susceptible to nicks and finger prints. Combined with the AR coating which at times make the crystal "invisible", this watch says "don't touch me". I've had the watch for 8 years, and despite the above I have forces myself to wear it in rotation with my other watches. My attitude would probably be a bit different if I had a NOS grail watch costing £££ (think NOS Rolex 5508 inc box and papers) where the slightest wear would affect value, but in general watches should be worn.

The wear on that one works very well on the bracelet - perfect match for those oxidised latches

You need to get those worn and beaten up a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by longbear View Post
    I know the feeling very well :)
    Oh yeah, that does look good after a bit of action!

I've a titanium PD too but it doesn't get worn as much!

Craftsman
    How funny. I too have a NOS Orfina PD Chrono. This one a Military which in rare grey PVD.

I have to admit I have worn it a couple of times now in the office, but it's still as new and I have the packaging etc too inc hang tag and card. I really don't want to damage it as apparently unlike the black coating it is hard to replicate if damaged.

The conundrum I have with this one is that I am fairly certain it has never been serviced despite being 36 years old! Should I have it done, or should I retain it's NOS quality and leave it be being as I don't use it?

I have a black civilian one as well which despite having seen a lot of use in it's previous ownership, it has now been faithfully refurbished by Schifferle & Schifferle in mine. It had NOS face, hands, crown and crystal fitted. It was fully serviced and black coating redone too. I have worn the black one a lot since with little fear, the truly NOS one I can't bring myself to wear properly.

Cool watches. My black one has travelled more than me.
    Last edited by dommorton; 25th September 2017 at 20:23.

Yep, I look out for NOS watches.....there can be no arguement about the condition - if you have done your research then you know you will be happy with the purchase. Four of my current 'gathering' were unworn and out of production when I got my grubby mits on them.....and now all are certainly worth less than I paid. But I wear and enjoy each and every watch - and none were bought with the thought of future value. I regard the depreciation as part of the cost of enjoying my hobby.

Life is too short. Enjoy your watches and drink your whisky. And post pictures of both. A great combination!

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Life is too short. Enjoy your watches and drink your whisky. And post pictures of both. A great combination!
    thats the attitude! actually I have a bottle of dimple haig that I inherited from my grandfather when he passed, it was given to him as a gift in the 1950's and it sat in his cupboard until I got hold of it, I may have to crack it open on the next special occasion.

Master
    I bought a NOS Rolex GMT Master 2 16710 for a good price a couple of years ago. Actually started thinking about selling it before I could put any marks on it, but thankfully decided against that, and have worn it more than practically anything else over since it arrived.

What is it with the black Orfina/Porsche Design watches..? I bought a fully refurbished one direct from Orfina. Not one mark on it and the best part of £2k. Got the tiniest dink on it and was paranoid from that point on. Didn't like wearing it and moved it on.

Back on thread, I have a NOS Seiko EL370 (electronic transistor balance wheel model) that I bought from Tokyo. Never wear it - and in some bizaare way, like to keep it that way. Its March 1971, same as me to the month.