closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do used prices on sales corner seem incredibly high on sales corner or is it just me?

Craftsman
    SC is an open market place so surely people are at liberty to place whatever they want at whatever price they choose?! What something is worth is what someone will pay and if sellers want to 'try it on' with a high price good luck to them! Similarly buyers can offer whatever they like. No one is being forced to buy or sell anything.

I've bought 2 watches off SC and love them both and found both sellers great to deal with.

Some of the grief that sellers seem to be getting at the minute is a joke though. You've got to be prepared to be as popular as Donald Trump to stick a Speedy Tuesday on there at the minute...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Look at it this way, what would we do without 'Sales Corner.' It is imperfect , but invaluable. Quite invaluable.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Look at it this way, what would we do without 'Sales Corner.' It is imperfect , but invaluable. Quite invaluable.
    +1, I'd like to see changes to SC but we're far better with it than without.

The whole profiteering situation with certain new Rolex and Omegas is a consequence of the marketing strategies adopted by both. I don`t like it, and I think buying to resell at a profit is not a way to win friends on a forum like this, but it's a fact of the current market and we have to accept it. I dislike the artificially created 'collectors' market created by limited editions but if the watches are changing hands at inflated prices that's the market and that's where it is. Other than an outright ban these watches will appear on SC and it's down to individual's choice whether they buy or not........but like I said it's not a way for a seller to endear themselves to the TZ community. Some will disagree but that's my view.

Personally I don`t think SC prices are too high if we exclude the stuff I`ve just referred to, I don`t know what the OP's reference point is in making this assertion.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Yes they are high at the moment, but what's point in listing a watch at a good price when the chances are that it'll be bought by one of the dealers who will list it on. eBay.
    If they do actually do this then I for one would want them identified - I'm all for SC being for SC and not for the profiteering of others.

Craftsman
    Kultschar, how much was the ceramic Daytona out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Culminator View Post
    Kultschar, how much was the ceramic Daytona out of interest?
    11,000 of your Great British Pounds

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    11,000 of your Great British Pounds
    That's what I paid for mine...two weeks old. But the deal was complicated with swaps and 500 mile journeys. Glad I did it. First time I ever paid over retail

Quote Originally Posted by Rossmore10 View Post
    SC is an open market place so surely people are at liberty to place whatever they want at whatever price they choose?!
    At whatever price they choose, yes. But it is not an open market place nor are people at liberty to place whatever they want (insofar as there are some rules around viewing, posting and listing).

The pedantry is by way outlining that there is a bit of a club sensibility to proceedings, which improves proceedings, and it seems to me that this works particularly well when sellers are mindful of that environment and strive to offer value.

Journeyman
    I might have had a moan about prices but for me the best thing about this forum is sales corner its become like a ritual for me to have a peak every morning and again in the evening. I hardly ever post on here as otherwise aint a forum kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    The value is the value..... I'd love to get my money back on this. I paid £4070, back in 2010.
    One of the worst bracelet refurbs I have seen in a long time!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    At whatever price they choose, yes. But it is not an open market place nor are people at liberty to place whatever they want (insofar as there are some rules around viewing, posting and listing).

The pedantry is by way outlining that there is a bit of a club sensibility to proceedings, which improves proceedings, and it seems to me that this works particularly well when sellers are mindful of that environment and strive to offer value.
    There are rules yes, but none about pricing therefore the apparent willingness of some people to offer their two pennies worth about the price badged up almost as an attack is largely unnecessary....

I'd agree that a certain pedantry regarding the rules is not a bad thing (particularly when folk seek to 'bend' them) but this should not extend to pricing which is entirely at the discretion of the seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    One of the worst bracelet refurbs I have seen in a long time!.
    Obviously an expert.... the bracelet has never been touched...

Last edited by Enoch; 27th September 2017 at 09:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    If they do actually do this then I for one would want them identified - I'm all for SC being for SC and not for the profiteering of others.
    I seem to recall a relatively recent SC post offering a speedmaster at a very reasonable price. It was down to the seller "looking to get back what it owed him" as a previous SC purchase that he had enjoyed for a number of years. However, I seem to remember in this instance the buyer (snapped the watch up in a nano second) came under attack as although he didn't "officially" appear to be a dealer, it did seem like he was hoovering up SC bargains supposedly to sell on somewhere else.

For the most part I feel SC works well and prices on the watches i'm interested in seem fair most of the time. It's certainly the only non dealer, online place I would consider selling any of my watches.

SC right now = if the trade can get that price then so can I coupled with “I want what the watch owes me”. Watch owes you nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    SC right now = if the trade can get that price then so can I coupled with “I want what the watch owes me”. Watch owes you nothing.
    But 'I want what the watch owes me' may be a good price in the eyes of some i.e. the current seller bought it cheap, and can therefore sell it cheap as they don't want to profit.

SC right now
    By that do you mean

1 Everything on sale there
    2 Everything of any real interest
    3 Most of the watches for sale
    4 Two or three sales that really hacked you off?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    By that do you mean

1 Everything on sale there
    2 Everything of any real interest
    3 Most of the watches for sale
    4 Two or three sales that really hacked you off?
    Nothing has hacked me off. You see things pop up and you just know it will be there for weeks and weeks with about 18 bump posts by the OP and eventual slight reductions. Two examples are the Sub Date which has already been reduced and will be reduced further and the G-Shock Rangeman which isn’t exactly terrible at £150 but I bought mine new from Goldsmiths for £180 so I can see a one or two bumps and a price reduction soon enough.

The other annoyance with SC at the moment which I didn’t bring up as it wasn’t on this thread is people treating it like eBay or a car boot and selling utter tat. Prime example is a wallet for £10 on there now. Previously it has been books or magazines given by ADs for free and in turn offered up on SC for £15 a piece etc.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    SC for YEARS has been that at eddies allowance a place where anything can be sold/bought, watch related or not, cheap or expensive. If people don't like it or it annoys them tough shit it's not your sandbox, feel free to not visit.

Mike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    SC for YEARS has been that at eddies allowance a place where anything can be sold/bought, watch related or not, cheap or expensive. If people don't like it or it annoys them tough shit it's not your sandbox, feel free to not visit.

Mike
    Precisely. Not an entitlement; it's a privilege and one that has benefited many, many people for many more years than I've witnessed.

The problem is that long term users are noticing changes which are inevitable through time. The users change, the market changes etc. What has to be remembered is that the inflation rate on luxury items such as watches has been very large in the past 5 or so years. Even in my short time here, watches have generally risen around 15-20% as a combination of exchange rates, political instability etc. This all filters down, even to places like SC.

You see things pop up and you just know it will be there for weeks and weeks with about 18 bump posts by the OP and eventual slight reductions.
    I'm guessing you've never worked in retail: aside from a handful of core lines, most things take their time to be sold. The exception to this is when you price something to sell immediately. The choice - to be patient, or to be in a hurry - is yours.

Is there an especial reason for being annoyed at people on SC exercising their right to make that choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I'm guessing you've never worked in retail: aside from a handful of core lines, most things take their time to be sold. The exception to this is when you price something to sell immediately. The choice - to be patient, or to be in a hurry - is yours.

Is there an especial reason for being annoyed at people on SC exercising their right to make that choice?
    Not to fight with you but you guessed wrong. Stands to reason the more expensive an item is the less people who can afford it, the longer it takes to sell. I’m not saying everything on SC should sell within 5 minutes I’m saying, like others, a 6-7 year old Sub with no warranty for £500 less than new without a warranty or a service is laughable.

I don’t mind how long things take to sell, but when someone has to bump their post 20 times and reduce the price four times in the process it’s a waste of time for everyone.

I don’t mind how long things take to sell, but when someone has to bump their post 20 times and reduce the price four times in the process it’s a waste of time for everyone.[/QUOTE]

I dont follow your train of thought.While this has been happening it hasn't been wasting my time.Who else has been effected?

Not to fight with you but you guessed wrong. Stands to reason the more expensive an item is the less people who can afford it, the longer it takes to sell. I’m not saying everything on SC should sell within 5 minutes I’m saying, like others, a 6-7 year old Sub with no warranty for £500 less than new without a warranty or a service is laughable.

I don’t mind how long things take to sell, but when someone has to bump their post 20 times and reduce the price four times in the process it’s a waste of time for everyone.
    You're taking this watch collecting lark way too seriously.

Master
    Wileeeeeey The reason people are selling sub dates for £500 less than new is that they are only available new if you want to join a potential long waiting list or you can buy one one sh for £500 less and be wearing it tommorow, your choice

I have had some lovely watches at realistic prices via a WTB on here and have moved on a fair few through sales corner at 'realistic' prices. Yes maybe I could've achieved a little more via eBay but with all the hassle and unknowns I would much rather buy/sell on here with likeminded people.

The best thing on here is when there's a true bargain it will often change hands multiple times at the same price so lots of people get to take advantage of the deal and it stays amongst the fold so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Wileeeeeey The reason people are selling sub dates for £500 less than new is that they are only available new if you want to join a potential long waiting list or you can buy one one sh for £500 less and be wearing it tommorow, your choice
    I can see the logic in that. If you want something “today” there is always a premium I agree but I think the real reason they’re selling 8 year old subs for £500 less is they’re having a laugh / trying it on. They’ve been in Blowers / WatchFinder etc and got a bit carried away.

Master
    SC is a bit like a car boot sale with watches. So many interesting things for sale. Old clothes, cars, shoes, electronics, cameras. Lots of fun for all the family! If you don't like the price, go elsewhere.

I bought a very nice Orient Star Retrograde the other week on here. Very pleased with it, its price and the interaction with the seller.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I can see the logic in that. If you want something “today” there is always a premium I agree but I think the real reason they’re selling 8 year old subs for £500 less is they’re having a laugh / trying it on. They’ve been in Blowers / WatchFinder etc and got a bit carried away.
    - - - Updated - - -

Then you have the other side of the coin with the speedy Tuesday's , now those sellers are just taking the pi$$.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    and the interaction with the seller.
    This matters.

Journeyman
    A newbie here so I'm still waiting for my SC access. My personal view is it's not any different to buying/selling cars. You can buy or sell to a main dealer, a trader, or even a mate. The most important thing is if the price isn't right then don't do the deal, only pay what you're willing to pay for that item.

It's a demand and supply market, that's how the prices are regulated. I don't need to tell my local dealer that his prices are too high, his sales figures will do that.

Banned
    Looks a great place to sell Speedy Tuesdays for two grand mark up without any fees.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    SC is a bit like a car boot sale with watches......

I bought a very nice Orient Star Retrograde the other week on here. Very pleased with it, its price and the interaction with the seller.
    Tiny, when you started you were going to have one, really special, watch and that was that. But now the bug has bitten and all is lost . It happens to many of us.

Journeyman
    I’m not saying everything on SC should sell within 5 minutes I’m saying, like others, a 6-7 year old Sub with no warranty for £500 less than new without a warranty or a service is laughable.

Could this be a discontinued Sub hence the price?

Got to admit my thoughts were similar when I was looking for my first Rolex. There wasn't enough of a price difference to tempt me to buy used but that's just me, doesn't mean no one else wouldn't pay. It's whatever someone else was comfortable with, not me.

Most selling forums are full of bumps and price adjustments. Not an issue for me. I do the same!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Tiny, when you started you were going to have one, really special, watch and that was that. But now the bug has bitten and all is lost . It happens to many of us.
    Actually I have a re-infection from many years ago. Getting over it now. Should be back to normal in a couple of months. These bugs, hi-fi, cars, watches, they go away for some time then re-appear when you're not expecting it. Watch out. You may just need to hear that music in a little more high fidelity :)