closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do used prices on sales corner seem incredibly high on sales corner or is it just me?

Journeyman

Do used prices on sales corner seem incredibly high on sales corner or is it just me?

I look at some the prices for used watches on Sales corner and often think the prices are not far off what I would pay from a second hand dealer I would expect them to be at least 20 percent less for obvious reasons. What do other think of this? Quite often descriptions are rather vague and watches have no paper work and are listed as the owner wishes to recover all there initial investment.
    Last edited by cygnus; 25th September 2017 at 13:27.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes they are high at the moment, but what's point in listing a watch at a good price when the chances are that it'll be bought by one of the dealers who will list it on. eBay.

If you see a watch that you like, but think the price is a bit punchy you can always offer the seller what you would like to pay. I think a close reasonable offer would be considered, but clearly a cheeky low ball offer is less likely to be accepted.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Yes they are high at the moment, but what's point in listing a watch at a good price when the chances are that it'll be bought by one of the dealers who will list it on. eBay.
    I understand your point but surely the main purpose of advertising is to make a sale. I quite often see watches with no paper work or where it is listed as wanting to achieve the same price as originally purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    This^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    If you see a watch that you like, but think the price is a bit punchy you can always offer the seller what you would like to pay. I think a close reasonable offer would be considered, but clearly a cheeky low ball offer is less likely to be accepted.
    And of course some of this^^^^^
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Don't forget the discount code when you reach 250 posts.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don't forget the discount code when you reach 250 posts.
    I hardly ever post on her and could reached 250 a long while back, I have no interest of selling my watches in any case anyone who knows me knows I hardly ever sell. I do however enjoy viewing sales corner incase something interesting pops along. I also appreciate sales corner as being a great place to sell a watch should one need to.
    Last edited by cygnus; 25th September 2017 at 13:37.

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    I look at some the prices for used watches on Sales corner and often think the prices are not far off what I would pay from a second hand dealer I would expect them to be at least 20 percent less for obvious reasons. What do other think of this? Quite often descriptions are rather vague and watches have no paper work and are listed as the owner wishes to recover all there initial investment.
    If you see a watch you like why not just contact the seller and negotiate a price both agree to. Suggesting everyone should sell at least 20% below your dealers price seem to say the least rude to me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    If you see a watch you like why not just contact the seller and negotiate a price you both agree to
    Because everyone would go and talk about him as a low baller. Anyway OP, Sales Corner is only to be talked about in a positive sense, so you may as well low ball, as they’ll be talking about you already.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    If you see a watch you like why not just contact the seller and negotiate a price both agree to. Suggesting everyone should sell at least 20% below your dealers price seem to say the least rude to me.
    I am in retail and have been so for the past 30 years and would expect most dealers to work on 30% to 40% by the time they pay VAT on the margin in any case, unless it is something rare and incredibly desirable. I would be quite happy to sell a watch at 20 percent less than a dealer is asking privately.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    Because everyone would go and talk about him as a low baller. Anyway OP, Sales Corner is only to be talked about in a positive sense, so you may as well low ball, as they’ll be talking about you already.
    No doubt Sales Corner is still the best way to sell a watch privately.

[QUOTE=cygnus;4504813]I am in retail and have been so for the past 30 years and would expect most dealers to work on 30% to 40% by the time they pay VAT on the margin in any case, unless it is something rare and incredibly desirable. I would be quite happy to sell a watch at 20 percent less than a dealer is asking privately.[QUOTE]

You are not dealing with retail you are dealing with private sellers who are watch enthusiasts many of whom have no interest what dealers are selling for. If you want to sell do so at what ever price you want, if you expect trade dealership prices perhaps you are looking in the wrong place.

Depends what's being sold I think.

Some prices are great (not to mention where you'll find some of the more obscure watches used), but if you're expecting someone to be taking a big hit on the price of a desirable (to the hoi polloi) Rolex sports watch, you're dreaming!

There's also an element of 'pass around' to SC and the forum, which explains the "Looking for what it owes me" comments.

These aren't people looking to get new (or even used) retail price back, they're people passing on their good fortune at getting a watch at a good price from SC.

If a new watch is £2000 and the first owner takes a 30% hit, he's selling for £1400. If the second owner takes just a 20% hit are you really expecting everyone from that point on to reduce by the same amount, just because it's passed through a few owners hands (with, possibly, virtually no wear during that time)?

M
    Last edited by snowman; 25th September 2017 at 13:54.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Depends what's being sold I think.

Some prices are great (not to mention where you'll find some of the more obscure watches used), but if you're expecting someone to be taking a big hit on the price of a desirable (to the hoi polloi) Rolex sports watch, you're dreaming

M
    True there have been a few great buys too.

I've commented on this before, Rolex watches are seen by some with almost religious fervour.
    The propaganda, advertising, is swallowed whole by the gullible public and Rolex is considered to be the holy grail.
    This is reflected in the exorbitant prices asked on sales corner.
    If you want a bargain Rolex you're looking in the wrong place.
    I'd no sooner expect a bargain Rolex on here than everlasting life.
    Try a second hand dealer, you'll get a better deal.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    +1 I certainly think so.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    These aren't people looking to get new (or even used) retail price back, they're people passing on their good fortune at getting a watch at a good price from SC.

If a new watch is £2000 and the first owner takes a 30% hit, he's selling for £1400. If the second owner takes just a 20% hit are you really expecting everyone from that point on to reduce by the same amount, just because it's passed through a few owners hands (with, possibly, virtually no wear during that time)?

M
    I have seen a number of cases where people appeared to have bought from a dealer and are then selling on SC asking to get their money back - I don't quite understand why they think that is likely to happen, unless they are ultra rare or desirable. Chances are these are above the price they would change hands for on SC

When the price is fair, the watch sells. When it is not, it doesn't.

Any seller, or buyer, should invest time in researching prices before committing to a purchase from any source.

I've been a member here for a few years and have bought and sold via SC. I've watched the prices of key watch brands over time and, like many others here I'm sure, I can spot a bargain and also a lemon. That knowledge has some value in and of itself.

I've learnt that it is probably best to have a thick skin when others disagree on a watch's value. These things are best pointed out via private messaging. Having said that though, SC does seem to regulate itself fairly efficiently with little need for censorship from our host.

I find it odd that people have so much to say about sales corner in general. If there is something on there that people are interested in make an offer. If not what is the problem? I recently sold a year old sub on there for around £500 less than new. Four years warranty on it, excellent condition, buyer very happy, I'm very happy and I had six people interested in purchasing the watch. However, there have been a few threads where people have criticised people that have only saved around £500 and why haven't they purchased new? Well because It's their choice is why and nobody else's business. Maybe for some saving £500 is worth it. It's still quite a lot of money to me....

I think when people are almost dictating what something is being sold for by other people and the percentage they think people should discount by we are getting a bit silly. If something is priced right it will sell, if it isn't it won't. What I do see is for sale threads constantly being derailed by people that have no intention of buying but feel the need to post silly comments or starting arguments. I can't get my head around that at all... on other forums that I am part of if you did this you would be benched for a while at the very minimum.

Buying and selling are a fraction of what this forum is about. The knowledge from reading the literally thousands of threads that I have read is why most of us come on here. It's to learn and discuss if we feel confident enough to. I am not quite there yet in terms of confidence and after the very personal attacks that I received in relation to the SD43 warranty card silliness I have to admit I took a step back from posting anything at all.

Chris

As the last two posts say, SC is self-regulating.

Watches will sell for what people will pay.

Most people here have a fair idea what they think a watch is worth and you've had to be here - and 'contributing' - for a while to get access to SC, so one would hope that even 'newbies' will have picked up some sense of the value of a watch.

I wouldn't pay £5,000 for a watch, but that doesn't mean that's not the price they command.

What anyone 'thinks' is a fair price is irrelevant really if someone else will pay more!

M

Craftsman
    The phrase "I want what I paid for it" irritates the hell out of me and I have walked away from deals on a range of items because of it. But, I do appreciate that some things will have increased in value over a number of years to the point that the price is fair in the current market.

It is also true that regardless of what something it worth, it will only sell for what a person is prepared to pay.

I was watching a couple of posts on the SC for the same model watch.... one sold within a couple of days, while the other lingered for almost a month..... perhaps the photos and wording of the adverts have an impact on how successful a sale might be.

Master
    'Cygnus' is a business man in another field who may well have one of the largest and most valuable collections on TZ, including an ultra-rare George Daniels. He tends to buy, but hardly ever sells. Believe me, I have watched him buying high-end watches for thirty years. And I do mean 'high end '.
    When he says he is dubious about some (some) prices asked, that opinion is backed by three decades and hundreds of thousands of pounds spent. You might not agree, but don't take him for a poorly informed bystander simply because he doesn't post much.
    Last edited by paskinner; 25th September 2017 at 16:45.

I think the value of any secondhand watch will be dictated by how much somebody is willing to pay. Many brands have gone meteoric in their price over the last 5 years and certain brands like Rolex will always command a high price as their value is constantly increasing worldwide. Other watches hit their lower limit and are generally sold at the same price to many members on the forum with little change in their condition. With that kind of provenance it really does make SC one of the best places to buy watches, especially as the history of the watch and seller is so transparent. It's this transparency that makes the forum so unique and safe for both seller and purchaser alike.

Craftsman
    Like has been said before the market sets the price any item will sell for.

The only thing that really gets me is the adverts that say no offers then chip at the price over a period of days or weeks. But that's the sellers prerogative.

Master
    Self regulating definitely. Ask too much, watch doesn't sell, simples. My favourite thing about sc is the high levels of confidence and trust you feel when buying a watch.
    My least favourite things are the plethora of non watch related items such as ipads, bicycles etc, and sellers not editing the title to show the item is sold.
    But overall a fabulous facility however you look at it.

Hum... depends what it is - many watches will sell quicker and for more on ebay than here - many mainstream brands (Hamilton, Tissot etc) which the general public like will not move quickly here or not for the same amount of money. I very rarely sell here.

Blog Entries
    This topic probably should not be on WT. There are better sub forums for such discussions? I’m a bit bored by this. Can we get back to discuss watches rather than their pricing or SC.

Martyn

SC used to be a place where enthusiasts could pass on watches for fair prices to other enthusiasts.

Now it's largely eBay-without-the-selling-fees, hence the higher prices.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    This topic probably should not be on WT. There are better sub forums for such discussions? I’m a bit bored by this. Can we get back to discuss watches rather than their pricing or SC.

Martyn
    I'd still like to see the YM and Explorer side by side. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I'd still like to see the YM and Explorer side by side. :)
    I’ll see what I can do! There are subtle differences and the SD4K looks positively hard-core in comparison.

Journeyman
    When I first started on the SC there were some bargains or well priced watches, mainly in the category of Gshocks and Seikos.
    Prices seems a bit higher than they used to be but then inflation seems to have affect pricing.
    Back then you could pick up a Skx007 for around £90-100, I think since they’ve gone up (or Creationwatches being taxed on delivery) the price have gone up.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I’ll see what I can do! There are subtle differences and the SD4K looks positively hard-core in comparison.

I'm a new poster, so no access to the SC, but surely the sellers need to take a bit of a hit given the rather harder-to-prove authenticity of the items on sale when compared to a retailer or established dealer?

Or are the watches for sale scrutinised to such an extent by the membership that most 'iffy' ones are identified rapidly and getting stung with a fake or undeclared franken is pretty unlikely?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I'm a new poster, so no access to the SC, but surely the sellers need to take a bit of a hit given the rather harder-to-prove authenticity of the items on sale when compared to a retailer or established dealer?

Or are the watches for sale scrutinised to such an extent by the membership that most 'iffy' ones are identified rapidly and getting stung with a fake or undeclared franken is pretty unlikely?
    Whilst this place is built on trust and it is very unlikely that anyone who has access to sell on SC would try to sell anything other than a totally legitimate item, there are a large number of incredibly knowledgable people on here. Anything untoward will be spotted and highlighted in a very short space of time.

This is the safest place to buy pre owned watches, far safer than any high street retailer.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

For me buying from a dealer or private I would like to know when the watch was purchased and where also any service details so would expect all paper work. Generally one can can a basic feel for the watch from the advert there are as many iffy watches from dealers as private I am not talking about fakes.

I also believe all said that Sales Corner is probably the safest way to purchase a used watch privately without doubt I would have no problem trusting on here but would of course use my own intelligence same as if I were buying from anywhere. I seen many used watches from dealers second hand or even AD and just never liked the watch for various reasons e.g. missing paperwork, condition, links missing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Whilst this place is built on trust and it is very unlikely that anyone who has access to sell on SC would try to sell anything other than a totally legitimate item, there are a large number of incredibly knowledgable people on here. Anything untoward will be spotted and highlighted in a very short space of time.

This is the safest place to buy pre owned watches, far safer than any high street retailer.
    For me buying from a dealer or private I would like to know when the watch was purchased and where also any service details so would expect all paper work. Generally one can can a basic feel for the watch from the advert there are as many iffy watches from dealers as private I am not talking about fakes.

I also believe all said that Sales Corner is probably the safest way to purchase a used watch privately without doubt I would have no problem trusting on here but would of course use my own intelligence same as if I were buying from anywhere. I seen many used watches from dealers second hand or even AD and just never liked the watch for various reasons e.g. missing paperwork, condition, links missing etc.

That's excellent to hear - thank you

Master
    I think 20% difference is slightly high if you are comparing SC prices to dealer prices.
    I wouldn't expect a 40K car in a dealership to go for 32K privately.More likely 36k.
    Also I would trust a lot of guys/gals on here to know more(especially on vintage stuff) about the watches than some of the dealers.(notable exceptions obviously)
    I must admit recently some of the Omegas have ended up at some bargain prices after they were reduced so bargains are still there.

dont like it dont use it.

I find SC an interesting mix with some deals looking great,some less so.
    Having bought 2 watches recently through it I would suggest that whilst I didnt get bargains I paid less than dealer prices and had piece of mind knowing I was buying from decent folk.

As many have said already,if you like the price and like the watch then go ahead if not dont.

Go to watchfinder then you can decide what VFM is or isnt !

Master
    ... a second hand dealer I would expect them to be at least 20 percent less for obvious reasons.
    The dealer only accounts for VAT on their margin not the gross sales price.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    The dealer only accounts for VAT on their margin not the gross sales price.
    Yes I know on the margin

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Hum... depends what it is - many watches will sell quicker and for more on ebay than here - many mainstream brands (Hamilton, Tissot etc) which the general public like will not move quickly here or not for the same amount of money. I very rarely sell here.
    I just feel alot safer here again as you say what it is for cheaper watches ebay is fine I just dont like ebay with high value items thats just me and from past experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post

You are a happy go lucky foot tapping sort of fun guy are you not.

Master
    You cannot ignore the fact that over the years the amount of information on watch prices, trends, the number of watch dealers have increased meaning there are far more price transparency. Don't tell me that 5 years ago people were "friendlier" and more willing to sell at lower prices. It's just simply back then there was less information and perhaps the watch was not "priced correctly". Now we have much more international buyers also and the GBP has taken a hit. All it is that we are likely to find bargains just because there is less mis pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That phrase "looking to get back what I paid" can be interpreted in two ways. Two of my 3 Breitlings were bought as a result of Sales Corner threads that included those words or a variant of them. In both cases they represented remarkable value for money - in fact the price being asked for my Seawolf II (at just 2 weeks old) was so reasonable that I queried it with the selller by PM. He told me that he had obtained what must have been the deal of the century from the AD, decided almost immediately that he didn't want to keep the watch and was happy to pass on his good fortune to another TZer! Needless to say, it's been in my collection ever since...

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are definitely in a bubble right now and not just for watches. Cars, houses, stock market etc. These are all at the top
    Of the market right now and a correction will come as sure as eggs is eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    We are definitely in a bubble right now and not just for watches. Cars, houses, stock market etc. These are all at the top
    Of the market right now and a correction will come as sure as eggs is eggs.
    So they say. I wish it would hurry up and happen!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watches, through the internet in general, used to be this geeky little thing where some of the general public had a "watch", some had a "nice watch" (often having been a present, perhaps in addition to their "watch"), and some people with loadsamoney had a Rolex. Geeks sat in dark corners appreciating weird complications, brands and histories. No-one else did. Life intervened with such trivia.

Then crazy s**t happened to assets, and people with no interest in watches suddenly became experts, realising they could park money (owned or borrowed at low % rates) in these assets, put them in a cupboard, and retrieve them shortly after selling for a gain without being taxed, or simply hold them ad infinitum while the value of their debt was eroded by inflation.

See also, Porsche 911, for details.

It's sad, as much concern is for retained or increased value, not what mechanical [maybe electrical] wonderment can be examined and appreciated.

I recently deleted a load of bookmarks I had from SC in 2011/ 2012. You would be amazed at the prices. Something recently came up on SC at 3x the price, and went near instantly. Was it 3x the watch? Nope, a Tudor. Realistically had I spunked £10k on watches then, I'd be looking at £25k's worth now if bought right. I didn't have £10k then, nor do I have £25k now. Ho hum!

Craftsman
    I'm still building up my points score to view SC but await access with excitement. I'm hoping there'll be some tempting timepieces at sensible prices (less than dealers0 on there...

Master
    The value is the value..... I'd love to get my money back on this. I paid £4070, back in 2010.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    The value is the value..... I'd love to get my money back on this. I paid £4070, back in 2010.
    Go on then but you need to align the bezel first. In recent months I think there has been an underlying increase in the prices sought however the market is what it is. There's plenty of well priced watches still that we get to try and move on with less cost and hassle than anywhere else.

Master
    Blog Entries
    SC is a mixed bag however the odd bargain does still pop up if your quick.

If my memory serves correct a White Ceramic Daytona popped up the other week well below any grey dealer price ive seen so far.

Then of course there was a recent period where a member was offering good discount on brand new Omegas