closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can you keep your Breitling dial?

Craftsman

Can you keep your Breitling dial?

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been covered here before, I put in a search on TZUK but could not find anything.

I'm sending my Breitling to BUK tomorrow for an overhall, but Im also going to get the dial changed from blue to black. Nothing wrong with the dial, i just fancy a change.

My question is, if I request to have the old blue dail sent back after the service will Breitling do this, or do they have some odd rule that they can't?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Speedie; 24th September 2017 at 18:54.

B1 by chance?

Craftsman
    Chronograph A13352

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Try phoning Breitling Service - they should have the answer for you - details below:

BREITLING UK & EIRE
    1 Royal Tunbridge Wells Trade Park
    Longfield Road
    Tunbridge Wells
    Kent
    TN2 3QF
    UNITED KINGDOM

Phone: +44 (0) 1892 553 620

They generally don't but worth a try...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Thanks guys, I'll give BUK a call first to confirm.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathif View Post
    They generally don't but worth a try...

I've always had great personal service from BUK whenever dealing with them by email or phone - so hopefully they can assist in this case. It's an interesting question.

Martyn

Master
    I rang Breitling a couple of years ago regarding a dial change to my Chronospace, £1,100 IIRC and I wouldn'd be getting the original back.

Master
    I understand if they don't, Rolex don't either.

Banned
    Asked the very same recently and was advised no. Not a new customer either, so expect that will be policy. My dial was damaged by an incompetent independent repairer, which was of no use to me, so didn’t mind, but asked anyway.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    Asked the very same recently and was advised no. Not a new customer either, so expect that will be policy. My dial was damaged by an incompetent independent repairer, which was of no use to me, so didn’t mind, but asked anyway.
    Thanks Sarky, I'll probably be told the same tomorrow so. I'll let the forum know the outcome

Why wouldn't they return your property?

Rolex will return old parts I believe but at a massive premium on the new parts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

Rolex will return old parts I believe but at a massive premium on the new parts.
    I think usbwatch nerds are weird (and I’m one!). I’ve never asked for my old oil filter to be returned following a car service.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

Swapping a dial for a new one is fair enough (if you want that), but what would 'most people' do with just a genuine dial?

I'd imagine part of the reason is to prevent the proliferation of fakes/frankenstein watches...

If you want a watch to look original, presumably you wouldn't want a replacement dial in the first place.

M

Grand Master
    I guess Breitling are trying to prevent parts getting sold on by the owner. All part of the Swiss 'control' culture?.....I sometimes think so.

I can`t see why they don`t let you keep the dial, and I can`t se a problem with genuine Breitling dials being puyt up for sale. However, I agree with the manufacturers when it comes to movement parts, hands sets and crowns. These parts could be offered up for sale as new parts, this happens on ebay with Omega stuff and it's not something to be encouraged. It's Ok if parts are described as second-hand but all too often that isn`t the case.

The simple answer is for the manufacturers to make parts readily available, thus killing the demand for second hand parts of questionable quality.

Paul

I think usbwatch nerds are weird (and I’m one!). I’ve never asked for my old oil filter to be returned following a car service.
    We're lucky there isn't a 'environmental disposal charge'.

Craftsman
    Called BUK this morning, very helpful and polite lady on the phone. Gave me quotes on the service etc but can't get a quote on the dial until it sent to Switzerland. Ill post today and keep the forum up to date.

Craftsman
    Turns out you can't keep your old dial and the cost of replacing it with another colour is not worth it. Im going to post a new thread in WTB for a a13352 dial if anyone has a black, great, white or mother of pearl dial lying around in their workshop....

Journeyman
    I asked the same question 4 years ago as I couldn't find a white dial Seawolf anywhere where I live. Several ADs suggest to pick a different colour and to have the dial swapped as Breitling would have the white dial as spare part. I was told that I wouldn't be allowed to keep the previous dial though, as opposed to Rolex for instance whom allows you to keep it. Different brands, different rules. I guess it's a way of reducing the risk of counterfeits and frankenwatches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
    I asked the same question 4 years ago as I couldn't find a white dial Seawolf anywhere where I live. Several ADs suggest to pick a different colour and to have the dial swapped as Breitling would have the white dial as spare part. I was told that I wouldn't be allowed to keep the previous dial though, as opposed to Rolex for instance whom allows you to keep it. Different brands, different rules. I guess it's a way of reducing the risk of counterfeits and frankenwatches.
    Not only that, Breitling wanted to charge me 2.5 times the normal price for a dial because I was changing colour

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Not only that, Breitling wanted to charge me 2.5 times the normal price for a dial because I was changing colour

Outrageous! I don't understand what they gain by making customers unhappy. I mean we love watches and we are in a minority, shouldn't they care a little bit more, you'd think?

I can't remember how much I was quoted but refused as I wasn't happy with them withholding the dial. In the end I found the watch with the dial I wanted from a great dealer in Germany and cheaper too.
    Last edited by VicLeChic; 7th November 2017 at 23:18.

i had a Dornbluth a few years ago that from new had a custom dial which when I bought it I wanted changed back to standard. i was quoted around 200 euros to change the dial and hands, different attitude from a very small maker who just wanted to do what the customer wanted.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post

Out of interest, how much did they quote you?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovewatches108 View Post
    Out of interest, how much did they quote you?
    In euros they quoted a ridiculous €1950 for a different colour dial. If I stayed with the same colour €780.

My god, that’s scandalous. How is that even justifiable?! And why the premium on changing colour than sticking with the same colour? Nonsensical.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovewatches108 View Post
    My god, that’s scandalous. How is that even justifiable?! And why the premium on changing colour than sticking with the same colour? Nonsensical.

I know it's crazy! Reading between the lines they don't want to do it. The paperwork for the serial number would have to changed in Switzerland etc. So if I really wanted to go ahead I'd have to pay a premium.

Grand Master
    In some cases this is a good analogy, I don`t send old parts back because there's no point..........who wants a used mainspring or a scratched glass? However, with a dial swap or when hands are replaced as a matter of course (some do this) the parts have value and there's a good case for returning them.

What the watch firms don`t want is people selling returned second hand parts, or passing them off as new replacements. Up to a point I support this, there's far too many worn out movement parts floating around eBay thesedays but in the absence of new replacements they're getting bought. I`ve sometimes seen Omega hands for sale where it's likely they've been returned after service when Omega fit new hands as a matter of routine. I wouldn`t mind if the prices were modest but they're not, and folks are even claiming the hands to be new when it's clear to me they're not!

It's a crazy situation and part of the problem is the refusal of the big manufacturers to make parts freely available. If that was the case the demand for second-hand parts would be far lower and the overall situation for everyone would be a lot healthier. If an owner wants to swap his dial he should be given the old one back, it belongs with the watch.

Paul