closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Important information for all Omega Owners.

Important information for all Omega Owners.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    Beautiful !
    Sound advice.
    When watches were made by watchmakers not Corporation directors.

Brendan

"The tool you use is almost sure to be a clumsy one" ... that sums me up a treat!

Great read.

My Omega will be 50 years old in December so they were certainly made to last.

LOVE this, thanks for posting! What year is it from?

If only watchmakers could see us several times to adjust a watch to our personal activity... those were the days.

Quality

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Reminds me of the owner's booklet for the the 1965 Morris Mini-Minor. Illustrations invariably showed the owner smoking a pipe while working under the bonnet.

An interesting piece of history for watch fanatics.

It would be good to know the date.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    What year is it from?
    It's from 1956.

Journeyman
    Would you say this still holds true for the more modern movements? Specifically the regular winding.

I have one of the new Moonwatches and wear it probably once a week. The power reserve is a few days, so unless I wind it every few days whilst I'm not wearing it it'll stop. So what I've started doing is only winding it the morning that I'm wearing it, normally meaning it's stopped since the last wind.

Would it be better to keep winding it every couple of days to ensure it doesn't run out of juice, even when it's not on my wrist?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sound advice, and pleasant read! Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy9 View Post
    Would you say this still holds true for the more modern movements? Specifically the regular winding.

I have one of the new Moonwatches and wear it probably once a week. The power reserve is a few days, so unless I wind it every few days whilst I'm not wearing it it'll stop. So what I've started doing is only winding it the morning that I'm wearing it, normally meaning it's stopped since the last wind.

Would it be better to keep winding it every couple of days to ensure it doesn't run out of juice, even when it's not on my wrist?

Remember that the advice was aimed at the men of a prior generation, who would have used their Omega daily as an only watch. The regular winding is predicated on continual use.

Craftsman
    Excellent, maybe they should do an up to date version?

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Reminds me of the owner's booklet for the the 1965 Morris Mini-Minor. Illustrations invariably showed the owner smoking a pipe while working under the bonnet.
    Better than smoking pot whilst repairing a Chronograph..like they do at Swiss factories I could name !

Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Better than smoking pot whilst repairing a Chronograph..like they do at Swiss factories I could name !
    Brendan
    😮

Anyone have an idea why women's watches' service intervals were shorter than for men's?

Is it because smaller movements need more regular maintenance, or because, back in the day, it was thought that women's watches received more abuse due to all the washing, ironing, doorstep polishing etc they were put through?

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    Anyone have an idea why women's watches' service intervals were shorter than for men's?
    Yes I was wondering about that too. I would have thought it would be the other way around.

I have opened too many watches I was not supposed to - I'm "Mechanically Bent" according to the Omega....

Craftsman
    Superb, they should send those instructions with every new watch still.

Grand Master
    I`m guessing this Omega literature is circa late 40s, I`d guess even older if it wasn`t for the reference to automatics which Omega introduced in the 1940s. The service interval is laughable by today's standards and I`m struggling too see the justification, particularly regarding ladies watches. Possible the small calibres were lubricated with a thinner oil that migrated more readily?

Old watches certainly weren't water proof and they tended to get dirt/dust inside more easily. The lubricants were likely to degrade/dry up faster than today's modern synthetic oils and I don`t think epilame treatment was being used. Treating certain parts this way prevents the oil creeping away, and that has a big influence.

I think the reference to winding regularly intends the owner to wear the watch routinely and keep it in a higher state of wind rather than let it run down. That'll certainly help the timekeeping.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`m guessing this Omega literature is circa late 40s, I`d guess even older if it wasn`t for the reference to automatics which Omega introduced in the 1940s.
    You may well be right Paul.

The booklet was part of a full-set Seamaster that also had a receipt and guarantee, both dated 1956.

It's not outside the realms of possibility that the Maintenance booklet may have been printed a few years earlier than that. Maybe the watch itself had spent a long time sat in a shop, unsold, somewhere,
    Last edited by hhhh; 27th September 2017 at 21:22.

Master
    Those were the days when a watch was for life - I’ve read about that.

The rate I buy and sell them, adjusting time keeping for my wrist would be completely negligible. 😃

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy9 View Post

No.

Don't adjust the hands, let your watchmaker see how it behaves?

Yeah, lets go into said jewellers a few times a week! Sounds like what My accountants would call 'income generation ' ......

Master
    Don't trust it to a child....classic.

I adore old material like this, thanks for sharing

Journeyman

Important information for all Omega Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Remember that the advice was aimed at the men of a prior generation, who would have used their Omega daily as an only watch. The regular winding is predicated on continual use.
    Thank gawd! I'd spend god knows how long of a morning winding all of my watches otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post

Brendan
    Uh... unless the weed was completely bunk, that seems like it would be a performance-enhancing drug given the nature of the task.