closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frightening Fake

Frightening Fake

Apologies if this has previously been posted.

I knew fakes were getting better but until the caseback is removed it seems nearly impossible to tell the difference between the real and fake Submariner.

https://youtu.be/P_ZTqC2Yxxs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lammylee; 22nd September 2017 at 22:53.

Master
    Easily spotted with experience - and ironic that this should be made by the same company which sold a professional footballer a Day-Date on an obviously fake President bracelet.

H
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 22nd September 2017 at 23:20.

Master
    At a glance the fake is alarmingly good, but as mentioned, with a little experience of what one is looking for the real one is easy to spot. A loupe is always handy!

Craftsman
    Is it a little too early in the morning for me or does the guy keep switching which side the fake is on in that video?!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    I don't think it's fakes that are frightening, but the liars and cheats who make and sell them.

Craftsman
    Crumbs that's good if you like your hamage thingies but my eyes sights shocking so I'd better be careful

Master
    There was a chap on TRF that posted the other day saying he'd had a Rolex on the wrist for 6 months and upon visiting his local watch dealer gave it over for a quick polish. After a while the shop keeper came out saying something isn't right and could he open it. Turned out the watch was a complete fake but even had a replica movement (he showed pics on there). Pretty sure it was a new sub.

This chap was a multiple Rolex owner too and didn't have a clue.

He'd bought the watch from a kid on behalf of his Dad and had it authenticated at the same dealer (who'd now discovered this fake) 6 months previous.

His theory was the lad had a genuine sub and this near 'perfect' fake and swapped them after authentication.

I'd be more inclined to think the watch was always a fake and the dealer had opened it to see the 'Rolex movement' and had since found out about clone movements. I mean what are the chances of a scamming young kid having a genuine submariner for the swap

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    There was a chap on TRF that posted the other day saying he'd had a Rolex on the wrist for 6 months and upon visiting his local watch dealer gave it over for a quick polish. After a while the shop keeper came out saying something isn't right and could he open it. Turned out the watch was a complete fake but even had a replica movement (he showed pics on there). Pretty sure it was a new sub.

This chap was a multiple Rolex owner too and didn't have a clue.

He'd bought the watch from a kid on behalf of his Dad and had it authenticated at the same dealer (who'd now discovered this fake) 6 months previous.

His theory was the lad had a genuine sub and this near 'perfect' fake and swapped them after authentication.

I'd be more inclined to think the watch was always a fake and the dealer had opened it to see the 'Rolex movement' and had since found out about clone movements. I mean what are the chances of a scamming young kid having a genuine submariner for the swap
    Haven't seen the thread in question but the chances of the kid having a real sub to swap are quite high if he was part of an organised crime group. Just because he was the kid who was doing the deal doesn't mean he was the only person involved.
    That said, it's just one theory and it could also be possible the dealer missed it the first time round.

Master
    I'd happily wear that and save myself £000's

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Let it begin.........popcorn

Oh dear

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

As much as I dislike fakes it does beg the question, if that fake costs £500 - £600 and the real thing costs £5000 - £6000 (not sure of their prices these days) and you can't tell the difference unless you magnify them where is the reason to buy the real thing? I know, I know "prestige". Obviously I'm talking about people buying themselves a fake as opposed to someone passing one off as real and fleecing you for a few grand.

This could make for an interesting conversation but I'm willing to bet it will descend into a slanging match!

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

That's nuts, it looks to me the letter spacing was the most obvious difference, but, if you did not have the genuine one side by side I wonder how many would even know it was fake. Is the bottom line that you really need to look inside or am I missing something?

Blog Entries

Frightening Fake

I’ve seen this before. Under a loupe the differences show . Poor machining , poor etching, poor hologram, mis aligned wording to the real version . It’s unnerving though -

Last edited by bond; 23rd September 2017 at 14:03.

Journeyman
    Ok under a loupe is one thing but how many walk around with a loupe. That one looks scary close to me and I don't know submariners that well. I know we'll have guys coming on disgusted that a fake is even being mentioned on here but isn't it a tad annoying that these guys can build a watch that fools a seasoned rolex owner in between selling drugs, human trafficking and down right dirtyness that we pay £6k and above for?!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Master
    If the movement is even copied how 'good' is that? It's one thing to be able to fake the aesthetic side of a watch, but the heart of it? Once taken apart it should become glaringly obvious?

It was hard side by side. Without one to compare against you'd have to be pretty on the ball! Horrible business

Blog Entries

Frightening Fake

Isn’t it also something how the majority of people would have to be told which is the fake- including myself

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Isn’t it also something how the majority of people would have to be told which is the fake- including myself

I'm more a gmt man but I also would have to told which was gen.

Craftsman
    Would appear the top end fake Subs are very close. They're however priced at c.£500 which for me surely can't be worth it? When it needs a service or breaks, what then? Given how well they hold/increase in value surely the real McCoy is a no-brainer. The worrying part is how easy it might become to be duped...

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickJ View Post
    Would appear the top end fake Subs are very close. They're however priced at c.£500 which for me surely can't be worth it? When it needs a service or breaks, what then? Given how well they hold/increase in value surely the real McCoy is a no-brainer. The worrying part is how easy it might become to be duped...

Surely you would just get it serviced by an independent for 200 quid or so rather than rolex for 4 times that amount?

Craftsman
    ....and this is one of the main reasons that I chose a Sinn U2 back in 2007 when I was looking for a quality watch. At the time there were no fake U-series watches out there.

I didn't want a high street brand like Rolex ect. that is copied to death, or people asking if my watch was real..... and if it was, why spend all that money on a bit of bling when there are plenty of good copies around. Besides, I wanted a proper tool watch, not something to show off with.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanbooth78 View Post
    Surely you would just get it serviced by an independent for 200 quid or so rather than rolex for 4 times that amount?

Since when is a RSC service £800?

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Since when is a RSC service £800?
    So.... How much is an RSC service? Or would you prefer it if we guessed for a while until you reveal all in a Sun style headline post!

It's a shame that with such ability to produce a quality timepiece that they dont just produce and market a quality timepiece without the brand theft. Such a watch would sell considering the number of average quality homages there are to be had.

Master

Do you mean let the watchmaker service it as a fake or hope they don't see it's a fake?

Then you truly are on the wrong forum.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    So.... How much is an RSC service? Or would you prefer it if we guessed for a while until you reveal all in a Sun style headline post!

I don't know the current price, but last time I had one serviced it was £430.

But hey why bother researching something when you can just pluck a seemingly appropriately high price out of the ether then post online.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Do you mean let the watchmaker service it as a fake or hope they don't see it's a fake?
    I mean service it as a fake. To be honest I would never buy one as there are so many good watches out there in the 5 - 600 price range, and also, what's the point? But it is interesting to think about the mentality of it.

I don't know the current price, but last time I had one serviced it was £430.

But hey why bother researching something when you can just pluck a seemingly appropriately high price out of the ether then post online.
    I have seen a few rolex's for sale online recently with service papers from rolex with prices between £700 and £800. So

"why bother researching something when you can just pluck a seemingly appropriately high price off rolex service papers then post online"

Seems more appropriate Oh master forum poster.

Master
    I have seen a few rolex's for sale online recently with service papers from rolex with prices between £700 and £800. So

"why bother researching something when you can just pluck a seemingly appropriately high price off rolex service papers then post online"

Wind your neck in boy.
    The price for a basic service is fixed. However depending on the age, condition and possible internal damage will,of course, raise the price, that total is not the service price, but service price + parts
    Last edited by nunya; 23rd September 2017 at 21:53.

And you are also on the wrong forum it appears.

Wind your neck in boy.
    The price is for a basic service is fixed. However depending on the age, condition and possible internal damage will,of course, raise the price, that total is not the service price, but service price + parts
    Thanks for clearing that up little fella!

Master
    Thanks for clearing that up little fella!

Your very welcome my lad. It did occur to one, that one needed an explanation, and I so dislike seeing the less gifted struggling. It is so unbecoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    And you are also on the wrong forum it appears.
    Could you suggest a forum that would be suitable? Perhaps one that discusses watches such as the interesting time factors releases and not Rolex's or fake rolex's endlessly.

Your very welcome my lad. It did occur to one, that one needed an explanation, and I so dislike seeing the less gifted struggling. It is so unbecoming.
    Ha ha, this did make me giggle. Thank you

Could you suggest a forum that would be suitable? Perhaps one that discusses watches such as the interesting time factors releases and not Rolex's or fake rolex's endlessly.
    I'll get back to you........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Then you truly are on the wrong forum.

Why

As soon as I watched it (excuse the pun) the fake did stand out by the size of the crown, looks far too big/sticking out and 12 marker is a slightly wider at the top, but still a good fake, trouble is people get all misty eyed when buying a watch like this and could easily over look these differences plus you wouldnt have a duplicate to compare it too..

Why
    Well you have been a member here for the best part of 3 years so thought you may have gathered by now that fake watches are really frowned upon..

You may well save money wearing a fake but its a sign of low self esteem, kinda like playing the big man but underneath there is a soft shy weak person that has to dress up his persona to feel some worth.

Journeyman
    To be honest the guy in the review could see no visible difference with the crown, only under a loupe he could see a difference so you must have a very keen eye. I don't know why everyone gets so touchy regarding fakes. We all know they exist. I bought a fake on holiday as a young man, a tag heuer link and when it packed in after 6 years it led me to buying quite a few watches all gen by the way and becoming a bit of a watch nerd. I was the same person I was then as I am now. I told everyone it was fake, I never suffered "low self esteem" I was someone that didn't know better and just wanted something on my wrist. To most other people all a watch does is tell the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    It's a shame that with such ability to produce a quality timepiece that they dont just produce and market a quality timepiece without the brand theft. Such a watch would sell considering the number of average quality homages there are to be had.
    I think it would be the 95% drop off in sales that is putting them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Agd47 View Post
    To be honest the guy in the review could see no visible difference with the crown, only under a loupe he could see a difference so you must have a very keen eye. I don't know why everyone gets so touchy regarding fakes. We all know they exist. I bought a fake on holiday as a young man, a tag heuer link and when it packed in after 6 years it led me to buying quite a few watches all gen by the way and becoming a bit of a watch nerd. I was the same person I was then as I am now. I told everyone it was fake, I never suffered "low self esteem" I was someone that didn't know better and just wanted something on my wrist. To most other people all a watch does is tell the time.

When the video starts just pause it and look at the difference in the crowns, one looks bigger and protrudes more, it just looks wrong - but as i said if i was shown just that watch would I spot this?? its easy when comparing to the original but on its own then a loupe is needed..

I'm sure many here have worn a fake in days gone by but there is a big difference to wearing one in your teens to a grown adult, the reason why people choose a fake premium brand watch/handbag/coat is to give the impression they have money, when people try to put a persona across that isnt true then it normally comes from low self esteem, unfortunately all it does is make the owner as fake as the watch.

Master
    Just to lighten the mood, are these fake or real?:

Everyone needs to remember it's a sales video, meant to drive the unknown masses to watchfinder's door. The biggest give away was the date wheel yet it was covered last? Why do you think?

Craftsman
    I spent half the video not knowing for sure which was being referred to as the fake. Would have been handy if he tagged the split screen accordingly.

Journeyman
    One thing I would add is that i belive for every gen rolex in this country i'd say there's a fake to match. I was at the Haye vs bellew fight earlier this year and the amount of "i could've been a contender" thugs sporting rolex's was an eye opener. I started looking at my own watch differently and wished on that night I'd wore my speedy!

Master
    Not all of them would be fake. It's not that hard to get a rolex, the hard part is paying, especially in one go. It's doable. I could easily get one from my local grey but knowing it is being paid for while I wear it would completely ruin the joy of it.

Saying that, many of them will indeed be dodgy

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Not all of them would be fake. It's not that hard to get a rolex, the hard part is paying, especially in one go. It's doable. I could easily get one from my local grey but knowing it is being paid for while I wear it would completely ruin the joy of it.

Saying that, many of them will indeed be dodgy
    I agree with what your saying as everything is more achievable now due to finance and cheap money lending but I couldn't believe the amount of rolex's there was. I check out wrists all the time but I'd never seen an occasion with quite so many submariners.

Apprentice
    Super replica Submariners (~1:1 case, dial, movement) can be bought for about £1000. Thinking of all the scumbags around us today it is really tempting to try sell one for £6000 on the forums. I bet there are several fakes on people's wrists and they have no clue about it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by iiro View Post
    Super replica Submariners (~1:1 case, dial, movement) can be bought for about £1000. Thinking of all the scumbags around us today it is really tempting to try sell one for £6000 on the forums. I bet there are several fakes on people's wrists and they have no clue about it.
    This post may create paranoia..... ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk