closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frightening Fake

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by iiro View Post
    Super replica Submariners (~1:1 case, dial, movement) can be bought for about £1000. Thinking of all the scumbags around us today it is really tempting to try sell one for £6000 on the forums. I bet there are several fakes on people's wrists and they have no clue about it.
    Why is it 'tempting' to deceive fellow TZ members? To Cheat Them?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    ..the reason why people choose a fake premium brand watch/handbag/coat is to give the impression they have money, when people try to put a persona across that isnt true .
    The same could be said about a genuine Rolex..... Those buying new Rolex watches ought to be driving 70-100K+ cars and living in 1Million plus homes if you want to keep things in relative balance..... and some members here do have that lifestyle. But we also have seen posts on this form were a person is wearing an expensive watch worth serval times the value of their family car. Another person posted about not being able to afford to go out for a pint on a Saturday night, so they had to stay in and admire the watch on their wrist that cost 6K.

Quote Originally Posted by Agd47 View Post
    I agree with what your saying as everything is more achievable now due to finance and cheap money lending
    Absolutely true.... you've only got to watch an episode of "Can't pay" or the "Sheriffs are coming" to see that there are people drowning in debt while trying to maintain an illusion of being "successful".

But there again the "I" in WIS stands for "Idiot" does it not?

Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    The same could be said about a genuine Rolex..... Those buying new Rolex watches ought to be driving 70-100K+ cars and living in 1Million plus homes if you want to keep things in relative balance..... and some members here do have that lifestyle. But we also have seen posts on this form were a person is wearing an expensive watch worth serval times the value of their family car. Another person posted about not being able to afford to go out for a pint on a Saturday night, so they had to stay in and admire the watch on their wrist that cost 6K.
    No not at all, it's not about balance, most people here will own a watch above their income level if thats how we want to look at it for the watch itself and no other reason, if I use myself as an example a grail/dream watch will come after a long time saving, nothing to do with my income it's all about the drive to own a watch you have always liked.

Owning a fake is to show off you have more than you actually own, that's the crux of buying and wearing a fake..

Journeyman

Absolutely true.... you've only got to watch an episode of "Can't pay" or the "Sheriffs are coming" to see that there are people drowning in debt while trying to maintain an illusion of being "successful".

There's definitely a point there as I've often seen celebrities on tv with huge wages wearing a sub or a gmt etc and I'm a humble carpenter and I have the same watch. Difference being they buy these trinkets on impulse where as we save and work overtime and make sacrifices to enjoy a grail piece.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Guys, I agree with you. This is a watch forum and is full of watch enthusiasts. We are here because we appreciate watches.

I am dead set against fake watches myself.... and that is one of the reasons that I won't buy a Rolex. I know a few people who own real Rolex and they are not the flashy bling models. Just a "quality watch" bought years ago.

We all buy things that we don't really need.... I've got around a dozen Rick Hinderer tactical pens.... I don't need to spend up to £250 per pen when a typical Brio can do the same job.... but I really like them. I've spent thousands on knifes and Muiltools, many of which I will never use but just keep in their boxes.

I've spent thousands on big name Shotguns etc.... when much cheaper brands work almost as well..... but it is one of my main hobbies and I can afford them.

End of the day, if you can justify a nice expensive watch/s without going deep into debt, then all good.

Frightening Fake

I bought a bremont sm500 off eBay about 6 weeks ago, paid good money for it, not ridiculously cheap. When it arrived I had a feeling about it, mainly to do with the packaging. It came with box, bag, books, warranty slip etc. the box seemed older than the watch. The serial number seemed low for the age of the watch. I studied the watch for about 2 days comparing it to internet images, couldn't find anything obvious, it lost 3 secs over 24 hours. By day 2 I was almost convinced it was my paranoia. As a last check I got al1tude involved and within 24 hours it had been confirmed as a fake.
    When I returned it, the seller did not try and defend himself, he waited 2 weeks and it was back up for sale.

I have reported him twice and he's still selling at a rate of 1 watch per month.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    I bought a bremont sm500 off eBay about 6 weeks ago, paid good money for it, not ridiculously cheap. When it arrived I had a feeling about it, mainly to do with the packaging. It came with box, bag, books, warranty slip etc. the box seemed older than the watch. The serial number seemed low for the age of the watch. I studied the watch for about 2 days comparing it to internet images, couldn't find anything obvious, it lost 3 secs over 24 hours. By day 2 I was almost convinced it was my paranoia. As a last check I got al1tude involved and within 24 hours it had been confirmed as a fake.
    When I returned it the seller did not try and defend himself, he waited 2 weeks and it was back up for sale.
    Scary. Did you report it to ebay?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    In the interest of stopping anyone on here possibly purchasing something from the seller might be worth posting the seller Ebay Id.

When I returned it, the seller did not try and defend himself, he waited 2 weeks and it was back up for sale.

I have reported him twice and he's still selling at a rate of 1 watch per month.

Princess1989princessstore was the seller, they had 99% positive feedback over 1200 transactions. Once I complained they refunded immediately, so I gave them the benefit of doubt that they had been duped and monitored them over the following month, 2 weeks later the same watch was for sale, and the pattern continued. Reported them twice to eBay but seems I'm the only one complaining.......

Journeyman
    Princess1989princessstore was the seller, they had 99% positive feedback over 1200 transactions. Once I complained they refunded immediately, so I gave them the benefit of doubt that they had been duped and monitored them over the following month, 2 weeks later the same watch was for sale, and the pattern continued. Reported them twice to eBay but seems I'm the only one complaining.......
    That's worrying considering they're quite a busy seller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    I could easily get one from my local grey but knowing it is being paid for while I wear it would completely ruin the joy of it.
    Am I reading this correctly? Do you mean that if you are buying the watch on IFC you wouldn't enjoy it?
    What about cars and houses?

Master
    The last time I bought a watch from an AD I used an interest free credit card. That has not dampened my enjoyment one iota.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    The Bremont is still up for sale!!!!

Scottie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanbooth78 View Post
    .. where is the reason to buy the real thing?
    Simple honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I'm sure many here have worn a fake ....
    Don't try to speak for anyone else, or assume that they would do something dodgy just because you did.

Master
    Bloody scary......... Just shows you the pitfalls of Fleabay even with decent sellers(feedback wise) are knowingly selling fakes

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Simple honesty.

The problem is that that appears to be the only reason! I have never worn a fake anything but it is shocking how close the quality is between those two watches. Where is the price difference if you take out of the equation that one of them is a fake of the other? Like I said before, this could be an interesting discussion.

Ian

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    There has been quite a few reports of fake Bremont watches that are hard to tell apart from the real thing.

I have a significant birthday coming up next Feb and I've been looking at getting another "nice" watch... I tried on a Bremont 2000 and a MB11, both nice! I also like the looks of the Breitling Superocean Heritage 11 ..... although a Sinn EZM 9 or 10 could be on the cards too.

Whatever I choose, I certainly won't be buying a commonly faked brand from e-bay!

Quote Originally Posted by dylanbooth78 View Post
    As much as I dislike fakes it does beg the question, if that fake costs £500 - £600 and the real thing costs £5000 - £6000 (not sure of their prices these days) and you can't tell the difference unless you magnify them where is the reason to buy the real thing? I know, I know "prestige". Obviously I'm talking about people buying themselves a fake as opposed to someone passing one off as real and fleecing you for a few grand.

This could make for an interesting conversation but I'm willing to bet it will descend into a slanging match!

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app
    If you compare a fake Snap-on socket or spanner with a real one they may look identical but in use the quality will show up. I expect it is the same with a fake watch it may look almost identical but how well will it last in use. You are of course paying for the additional profit & sponsorship but also the R&D in developing the new movement etc. that gets copied, and of course the dealer network, 5 year warranty etc. and of course the knowledge you aren't wearing a fake...

Bremonts are not commonly faked, the sm500 fakes were only discovered a few months ago and all have a common tell.

Having bought a s2000 from an AD I can see the differences.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    If you compare a fake Snap-on socket or spanner with a real one they may look identical but in use the quality will show up....
    Very true - my mate turned up to the golf course with some knock off TaylorMade irons last year and came out with the argument you often hear.... "they look exactly the same, why pay full price". On the 9th hole the head of his 7 iron sheared off and went further down the course than his golf ball.

A friend of mine had a fake one of these ordered online from China and it looked superb aesthetically. The only way I was able to tell the difference between mine and his was when winding the crown. The real one was much, much smoother and the fake felt like it grinded a little.

Steve

Another person posted about not being able to afford to go out for a pint on a Saturday night, so they had to stay in and admire the watch on their wrist that cost 6K.

That was me, and a perfect reason not to own one for the time being, I now wear a smiths everest and am inebriated quite often at the weekends!

...I still wouldnt wear a fake though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Very true - my mate turned up to the golf course with some knock off TaylorMade irons last year and came out with the argument you often hear.... "they look exactly the same, why pay full price". On the 9th hole the head of his 7 iron sheared off and went further down the course than his golf ball.
    How long did it take you all to stop laughing?!

With fake cutlery (don't see why it would be any different) PayPal required proof from an AD that the item was a fake for a refund, and then required proof of destruction. It's of course easy to fake that evidence if you so desire, but at least it meant the fake didn't make its way back to the seller.

This was a few years ago and a second hand story, so things may have changed what with PayPal and eBay separating.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    If you compare a fake Snap-on socket or spanner with a real one they may look identical but in use the quality will show up. I expect it is the same with a fake watch it may look almost identical but how well will it last in use. You are of course paying for the additional profit & sponsorship but also the R&D in developing the new movement etc. that gets copied, and of course the dealer network, 5 year warranty etc. and of course the knowledge you aren't wearing a fake...
    Yes but your not putting much pressure on a watch unless you go diving which I'm assuming nobody would be daft enough to try with a fake. You can get a cheap automatic watch that will last you long enough without issues. I've an alpha pepsi bezel watch and it's lasted well and I do the gardening, go out with the dog climbing through rough hillsides and it's never skipped a beat. So if they can install a movement like that there's no reason why it wouldn't last as long as u didn't use it how the real rolex was designed for.

Master
    Two guys I work with have fake Rolex. Both openly admitted they are fake. I can't really comment on their reasons for buying them but they both paid around £400 - £500 for them.

They both look passable to my untrained eye and I can't say there's a massive difference in quality to a real one (the ones I've handled anyway) when in the hand. However, they clearly have a limited life span as the hour marker has fallen off one leaving it rattling around under the crystal. The other is only a few months old so who knows how long it'll last. It just seems a waste of £500 to me as you could buy any number of decent watches that could last a lifetime for that.

It seems nothing is safe from being ripped off if you are thinking that buying a lesser well known brand will make you safe. I took a look on the site where these guys got their "replica" watches and it's amazing to see the variety of brands they knock off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    However, they clearly have a limited life span as the hour marker has fallen off one leaving it rattling around under the crystal. The other is only a few months old so who knows how long it'll last. It just seems a waste of £500 to me as you could buy any number of decent watches that could last a lifetime for that.
    Lol. Hour marker should take a minimum of 10 years to fall off! ;-) I have a 20 year old fake, bought when I was young and stupid, which still looks 'fine'. It was about £25 in Turkey. I think your friend was bumped big time!

Last edited by stefmcd; 25th September 2017 at 12:40.

Journeyman
    My uncle took a fake datejust home from spain last year.He was quite chuffed with it until I pointed out the glaringly obvious lack of date! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Agd47 View Post
    My uncle took a fake datejust home from spain last year.He was quite chuffed with it until I pointed out the glaringly obvious lack of date! Lol.

But still with cyclops?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    But still with cyclops?
    No it didn't have a Cyclops if I remember correctly. It did have the worst jubilee bracelet I've ever seen!

Master
    The worst are the ones who say it's made to the same standard of a real one. I think they even call it something like A grade. I'm sure your £600 watch is the same!!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    The worst are the ones who say it's made to the same standard of a real one. I think they even call it something like A grade. I'm sure your £600 watch is the same!!
    The worst is probably still to come, these fakes are only getting better and companies like rolex aren't exactly pioneering new technology. Things stay the same and practice makes perfect for these guys. I don't know if you guys can stomach Archie luxury but he has a few interesting videos regarding panerai and how easy it is for them to be faked as they're such a simple design.

What will be frightening is when there are fakes of the Zenith Defy Lab with that utterly captivating silicone oscillator!

Craftsman
    I guess the other thing to consider with e-bay is the possibility that any given watch may be stolen.....

...... and if a seller is happy to pass off fakes as real.... is it much of a step to try and sell stolen watches too?