closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Revised duty ??

Revised duty ??

Looks like I have some duty to pay , will they deliver and charge or charge then deliver ? Hope it's not too much

Blog Entries
    (a) If it's a watch then you should have no "duty" (specifically Customs Duty) to pay. It is (or should be) all VAT, not "duty".

(b) The VAT payable will be 20% of the value of the item, including postage, plus a handling fee of £8 to £15 or so (depending on the courier).

(c) Whether you have to pay before or after delivery depends on the courier. Royal Mail and Parcelforce will require prepayment whereas other couriers often (but not always) invoice you after delivery. If prepayment is required then you will receive a letter in the post requesting payment, and you can then pay online.

It's a watch but seller sent as mechanical measuring device no battery with $55 value , do they open it up or just go off label /del notice
    Last edited by peter2704; 22nd September 2017 at 18:54.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    It's a watch but seller sent as mechanical measuring device no battery with $55 value , do they open it up or just go off label /del notice
    Well that's an unknowable answer. If it's being sent by a high volume seller then you'll probably be charged about £20 inc handling fee. If they open it and check the true value, then 20% plus £10ish handling fee. If low volume seller then you'll probably receive it without extra charge and you'll have to make the effort to send them the vat yourself after you receive the watch..... ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    It's a watch but seller sent as mechanical measuring device not battery
    Well, depending on what Border Force made of the description on the customs declaration it's possible that they could have miscategorised the item and you might have been overcharged. E.g. You could have been charged Customs Duty (and additional VAT on the Customs Duty) when you should not have been.

This has happened to me in the past. The seller described a watch as "<something> instrument" (I forget what exactly) and the Border Agency (as it was at the time, now Border Force) inspector thought it meant "musical instrument". As a result I was charged Customs Duty at the correct rate for musical instruments and additional VAT on the Customs Duty. When I received the item I discovered the error and was able to claim back the Customs Duty and VAT over-payment by sending evidence to them. I was eventually sent a refund.

Even if you know you've been overcharged when you get the bill, you'll need to pay the demand and then claim back the excess from Border Force.

When sending watches to the UK, there is no point whatsoever misdescribing them on the customs declaration. Watches already attract a low import tax rate (i.e. just VAT at 20% and no other Duty in practice[1]). The only way to save import tax on watches is to illegally under-declare the value.

do they open it up or just go off label /del notice
    99.9% of the time they just go on what the customs declaration says. But they can and will open packages when they feel like it to confirm description and value.

Footnote:-
    1: In theory, Customs Duty on watches is charged at 4.5% but it is bracketed to a maximum of €0.80 per watch, and HMRC/Border Force have a policy of not collecting such small amounts of Customs Duty.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 22nd September 2017 at 19:08.

my worry would be if you declare it is a watch on the docs it may go missing or attract unwanted attention