closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rock Polishers

Rock Polishers

Afternoon,

My almost nine year old son is obsessed with rocks and fossils and he is after a rock polisher. Does anyone have any advice as to which one to buy or indeed have a cheap set up to sell?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Nick

How's this for Sod's law, I gave away a national geographic kids one last weekend

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trends-Uk-L.../dp/B0007ZGPDE
    Last edited by adrianw; 22nd September 2017 at 15:10.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    How's this for Sod's law, I gave away a national geographic kids one last weekend

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trends-Uk-L.../dp/B0007ZGPDE
    Typical! Was the NG one any good?

Good for him! When I was young, a rock tumbler was my holy grail present.

I tumbled loads.

I still have a vast rock and fossil collection. Started when I was two, now forty odd years later it's still going...

Buy him a simple decent one, and then be patient! It takes a few weeks to do a batch well.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Good for him! When I was young, a rock tumbler was my holy grail present.

I tumbled loads.

I still have a vast rock and fossil collection. Started when I was two, now forty odd years later it's still going...

Buy him a simple decent one, and then be patient! It takes a few weeks to do a batch well.
    Thanks for the advice Alex. Good to know it's a, long term hobby. I'll start researching!

Craftsman

Rock Polishers

As above , I also loved it and still to this day have many polished treasures .
    A little tip , use different size stones / material to achieve the best results if you are tumbling.
    Largest should not be more than a couple of inches in diameter and only one of them in a tub load .
    Minimum of 3 separate tumbles , coarse , medium then if they look ok go for polish , if not fine medium then polish .
    1 week on each, if you can afford to have a separate barrel for each medium that is best , if not be meticulous with your cleaning . It pays in the long run.
    It is a lovely hobby and hopefully may set your youngster on a good future career .
    Sorry can't help with current suppliers but I'm sure you will find one .
    Finally hope you have a shed or garage with electricity or a sound proof box .... it can be a tad noisy .
    Good luck and enjoy , invoked many happy memories of collecting and anticipation !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Norbert; 22nd September 2017 at 20:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvetsnow View Post
    Typical! Was the NG one any good?
    They do the job, they do a few now, it would mean you start without a big investment and if he stays interested you can upgrade

Norbert, thanks for outlining the process. Fortunately we've got a garage attached to the house, I'll just have to clear him a bit of space. I'm now quite looking forward to it!

Adrian, thanks for the reply. I've seen a few now and I'm going to try and get one with extra barrels as per Norbert suggestion.

Craftsman
    He is something to show the young man to stimulate the interest . The yellow piece in the larger wooden bowl is amber I picked up off the beach in Aldeburgh Suffolk .
    Good luck with the hobby , it's cheaper than watches !

I remember this being a craze in about 1975. My mate Phil made a tumbler out of Meccano. I remember that the tub was a piece of drainpipe with screw-cap ends. I think he got more fun out of making the tumbler than polishing the stones. He's a train driver now, so plainly an inclination towards mech eng is a help in such matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
    He is something to show the young man to stimulate the interest . The yellow piece in the larger wooden bowl is amber I picked up off the beach in Aldeburgh Suffolk .
    Good luck with the hobby , it's cheaper than watches !

Great collection. Aaron was very impressed 😊 Thanks for sharing

Craftsman
    My pleasure , that is just some of the remainder it was over 40 years ago , but I never stop looking .