closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still use 35mm film camera ?

Anyone still use 35mm film camera ?

Hi,

I just dug my old Nikon FE out the wardrobe, put a couple of lr44's in and it seems to be still working ok, and I thought I'd stick a film thru' it to see what happens. I was wondering which film is recommended by regular users, if such a thing as a regular Film SLR user exists !

Thanks in Advance, Richie

Master
    Of course! I often go into poundland and pick up some colour Kodak or for B&W I use Tri-X. I use my Leica M2, Nikon SP, Nikon F2. Doesn't include my MF cameras.

Nikon FE, great camera and shoot some film! My wife is looking for a 35mm camera so might have to look for one of them.
    Last edited by ronin; 22nd September 2017 at 13:37.

I bought a couple of Nikonos III about 18 months ago.

The first roll of film (through the first camera) was disappointing in the main (mostly, I suspect, due to my own hamfistedness) and I've not got started with the second camera (pictured above) and roll of film yet.

I guess, in reality, I'm sold on digital these days.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 22nd September 2017 at 13:36.

I do.

I have couple of OM1's - my silver one is current at Luton Camera Repairs having a full service and TTL metre battery conversion.

I use Photo Hippo for developing and printing. They also scan and email you a download so that you have photo's digitally too.

Craftsman
    Yes. Regularly use a Konica Auto s2 range finder, and also use a Canon AE1 program.
    It's nice to try different film emulsions. I take longer and am more considered using film. It could just be the cost per frame, but somehow it feels a bit more permanent.

Craftsman
    Oh, I use Filmdev for processing and scanning, excellent turn around and service.

Not so much in the past year, but up until that, this was my weapon of choice, with Velvia 50 or Provia 100F being the favourite films.

MZ-S / FA43 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

At Work by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Viv on the beach by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Faringdon Walk by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Coming Up by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

I still use my FE regularly, as well as a couple of Russian FED rangefinders, an Olympus XA and a Minox. Generally I use B&W film - Ilford FP4 and HP5.

Craftsman
    Pentax MX here, recently back in use after five year hibernation, glad I kept all the lenses. Have been using Peak for developing and printing but interested to hear about any other other options

regards
    grant

Got a Nikon FM and Olympus OM10, but never use them any more.

I bought a yashica 35mm today.

Going to get some film and go play.

The thing is built like a tank with a built in light meter. So cool.

Blog Entries
    Pfff, 135 film. Real men still use 120 film. When they aren't loading sheet film into their view camera.

Master
    I used to be a film devotee. I worked for Kodak’s digital motion picture wing for 10 years.

Up until about 3 years ago film still had better capture characteristics than any digital format.

However even the last few unassailable benefits have now fallen in my opinion. I generally only shoot digital these days. Even on my last film show I insisted on a digital motion picture camera for my plate shoots.

Using a simple wrist strap I find that I can carry the OM1 very unobtrusively. With a lens hood but no cap, even though its fully manual I can frame and take shots pretty quickly if needed.

Last weeks family model flying outing. 50mm lens with orange filter.

I was out today in the local woods and fields with a new deep red filter. I'm looking forward to getting the 36 exp film developed.

Please post some of the pics, Velorum.

Posting the film tomorrow so I should get a download link by Thursday (the prints arrive a couple of days later)

Reminds me that I have a Minolta AF 7000 rotting in a cupboard somewhere, might get it out and take some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I used to be a film devotee. I worked for Kodak’s digital motion picture wing for 10 years.

Up until about 3 years ago film still had better capture characteristics than any digital format.

However even the last few unassailable benefits have now fallen in my opinion. I generally only shoot digital these days. Even on my last film show I insisted on a digital motion picture camera for my plate shoots.
    ^ would be very keen to know, given your expertise, what digital camera(s) you have now been persuaded by?

Many thanks!!

With the sale of my M7 completed here this week, for 35mm film I'm now down to a Minolta CLE (complete 28/40/90 system) and Minolta XD-7 (primarily 50mm f/1.2).

The CLE is a little belter.

I've got a Canon EOS 1NRS, which is interesting in that it has a fixed semi silvered mirror so has no loss of view on shutter release. Also takes 16FPS which isn't bad for a 35mm film camera but does use film quickly...

A

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

I bought a fully programmable Canon A1 in 1980, but haven't used it in probably 20 years!

I still have a bunch of 35mm film cameras in the loft - a Leica M2, a Nikon F3 and several F2's. I also have a Rollei 35 and maybe my wife's old Pentax ME Super somewhere.

These days, though, I stick to digital.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    ^ would be very keen to know, given your expertise, what digital camera(s) you have now been persuaded by?

Many thanks!!
    Sony F65 is as good if not better than film in any area in my opinion.

Arri Alexa shoots a nice image even though it loses out to film slightlyin resolution (arguably and not the latest models) .

Red I’ve never really liked the colour gamut. The Alexa is also limited in this area relative to film but it seems to visually be tuned to make its limitations attractive rather than hamstrung.

These are all digital motion picture cameras. For still I usually go with a canon 5d mk2 and above.
    This is more from a familiarity perspective than any real belief its better than Nikon or another brand. However I really think full sensor dslr has been better than 35mm film for still photography for many years before the motion picture side caught up,

Larger format is a different kettle of fish .

I used to be an SLR (Olympus, Nikon and Canon) buff years ago and a lot of the cameras I used to long for I now spot at boot sales for a few pounds.

Been tempted a few times but thought the better of it.

Nice to feel the heft of those old things again though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Ta

Hi again All,

Thanks for the info so far, I'm going to see if I can pick up some film somewhere today, I was thinking a 400 ASA would be ok, hopefully I'll get some snaps taken next weekend if not before.

Can I ask about developing ? Do people get the film done to get only the negs and take the printing / scanning from there yourself ( I have developed films before but only B +W )?

Also thinking I may have to invest in a scanner, seen a couple of vids about it from Uchoob. The (next) question I have to ask is I was looking at a Plustek scanner but the actual scans come out at only 2 to 3 mp, in this world of 24 plus mp digitals is this a sufficient amount for detail or should a larger mp scanner be used ?

Excuse all the questions and thanks for all the answers so far !

Richie

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Sony F65 is as good if not better than film in any area in my opinion.

Arri Alexa shoots a nice image even though it loses out to film slightlyin resolution (arguably and not the latest models) .

Red I’ve never really liked the colour gamut. The Alexa is also limited in this area relative to film but it seems to visually be tuned to make its limitations attractive rather than hamstrung.

These are all digital motion picture cameras. For still I usually go with a canon 5d mk2 and above.
    This is more from a familiarity perspective than any real belief its better than Nikon or another brand. However I really think full sensor dslr has been better than 35mm film for still photography for many years before the motion picture side caught up,

Larger format is a different kettle of fish .
    Many thanks, very informative!

duplicate post
    Last edited by koimaster; 26th September 2017 at 00:18.

I still have several digital cameras but my fall back for certain photos is my old school Nikon F2 purchased way back in 1981.

I have a Minolta X-700 from the year I was born which I inherited from my great uncle, haven't used it for a few years but keep meaning to run a roll or 2 of film through it.

Love how similar it and my current camera are!

My Gear by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    FP4 and HP5.
    Just seeing those names alone gave me an intense flashback

Master
    I gave up on film when I couldn't find a good way to scan the slides/negatives. I have a Canon scanner that only works on Windows XP and Canon has stopped supporting it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikosF View Post
    I gave up on film when I couldn't find a good way to scan the slides/negatives. I have a Canon scanner that only works on Windows XP and Canon has stopped supporting it.
    I dream of the day when we can buy a scanner that you simply drop a box of 135 negs into, and it scans and sorts all the images, orienting them correctly in the process.

On that day, I will recover a cubic metre or two of storage space.

I have a lot of film cameras...can't bear to get rid of them. Nikon F, 2x F2s, F3, F100, Nikonos V, Olympus OM2D, Ricoh GR1 & Bronica 6x6. Plus a few other P&S waterproof jobbies.
    I still use the Nikonos from time to time and scan the slides. Love Ektachrome. Kodak opening their factory again: Kodak-Ektachrome

Quote Originally Posted by NikosF View Post
    You can get 3rd party programs for scanners VueScan for example. Free trial to see if you like it etc: Canon scanner drivers

Master
    What are the best 35mm still scanners? The ones I used to use were $3million dollar cineon motion picture scanners from Kodak in vista vision mode.

10bit log output that was full negative density that was essentially transparent to 10.5 stops.

Nikon FE, good choice sir! My favourite camera

Master
    I stopped using film in 2002 seemed to be about the same time all the indi camera shops went under.

Going back to it now would be similer to recording tv programmes on a betamax video recorder.

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    I dream of the day when we can buy a scanner that you simply drop a box of 135 negs into, and it scans and sorts all the images, orienting them correctly in the process.

On that day, I will recover a cubic metre or two of storage space.
    Same here but with slides.

Haven't looked at them for years.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Please post some of the pics, Velorum.
    I like the almost abstract quality of woods and hedgerows

Also was out and about in the village

I'm loving this thread.

There's some Provia rotting away in my fridge. You've prompted me to put some fresh batteries in my ME Super and take it with me next time I'm on the hill.

That should give my walking buddy a laugh.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Same here but with slides.

Haven't looked at them for years.

I keep my eyes on eBay for Nikon scanners (but have yet to bite as I'd need to do something with it!) They aren't cheap and I'm not sure how they work with modern PC operating systems. You can buy a slide feeder so, in theory, you don't have to scan one slide at a time!

Master
    Duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    I have a Minolta X-700 from the year I was born which I inherited from my great uncle, haven't used it for a few years but keep meaning to run a roll or 2 of film through it.

Love how similar it and my current camera are!

My Gear by Ash Smith, on Flickr
    The X700 is a pretty decent bit of kit.

Check out rokkorfiles.com to get you in the Minolta mood :)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I keep my eyes on eBay for Nikon scanners (but have yet to bite as I'd need to do something with it!) They aren't cheap and I'm not sure how they work with modern PC operating systems. You can buy a slide feeder so, in theory, you don't have to scan one slide at a time!
    What you really want is an Epson flatbed like the v750. Awesome machines!

Master
    With the sale of my M7 completed here this week, for 35mm film I'm now down to a Minolta CLE (complete 28/40/90 system) and Minolta XD-7 (primarily 50mm f/1.2).

The CLE is a little belter.
    I was thinking about a CLE recently - or possibly a Leica CL. How do you find the CLE? Has it been reliable for you etc?? If I got one, I'd probably pair it with the 40mm as the whole kit might be too expensive. Thinking about it as an alternative to the Hexar RF.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I was thinking about a CLE recently - or possibly a Leica CL. How do you find the CLE? Has it been reliable for you etc?? If I got one, I'd probably pair it with the 40mm as the whole kit might be too expensive. Thinking about it as an alternative to the Hexar RF.
    Cheers
    I would recommend the CLE without hesitation. A close friend has both the Leica CL and the Hexar, but there really is no comparison. The CLE is the most advanced Leica film camera ever. True, it's not built like an M, but then that was not the brief.

On lens, the Rokkor 40 is well suited to the camera but equally I wouldn't rule out a Voigtländer 40. The true star of the M-Rokkor line up is undoubtedly the 28 - a true sleeper of a lens if ever there was one.

Your reliability question is very interesting. Why would you ask? I know why... because t'internet is awash with tales of them being "too electronic" etc etc. Well, I have yet to hear of a single real world example of a CLE failure. I stockpiled a couple of XD-7s in case (lots of shared electronics), but honestly I don't know why I bothered, the CLE is going great and has seen off many a digicam for reliability :)

Now read this: http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/cle.htm

Let us know how you get on!
    Last edited by JGJG; 1st October 2017 at 17:37.

and a pic of my (murdered) example...

Well it’s not a film camera but handles like one - I picked up a Leica M 262 with Leica 35mm lens the other day and have been using it on a break in Vienna this weekend. Takes a bit of getting used to as it’s a Rangefinder and entirely manual focus but the image quality is ridiculously good and there is something satisfyingly old school about the stripped down approach to photography that actually gives you much more freedom as opposed to having autofocus make an approximation for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Well it’s not a film camera but handles like one - I picked up a Leica M 262 with Leica 35mm lens the other day and have been using it on a break in Vienna this weekend. Takes a bit of getting used to as it’s a Rangefinder and entirely manual focus but the image quality is ridiculously good and there is something satisfyingly old school about the stripped down approach to photography that actually gives you much more freedom as opposed to having autofocus make an approximation for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is one of the least digital digitals... How do you find the 262 image quality? (And summicron or summilux 35?)

Stick an image or two up!

Master
    It is one of the least digital digitals... How do you find the 262 image quality? (And summicron or summilux 35?)

Stick an image or two up!

Hmm not sure what that gets you these days.
    A decent dslr works the same as a 35mm slr in every area apart from exposure index (film speed).

Stick it on manual , stick some decent glass on it , a cheapo 50mm is going to give you decent speed for candid snaps . I don’t see much difference in the experience compared with using a 35mm camera anyway : beyond being able to shoot thousands of photos instead of a few dozen a roll.

Master
    I would recommend the CLE without hesitation. A close friend has both the Leica CL and the Hexar, but there really is no comparison. The CLE is the most advanced Leica film camera ever. True, it's not built like an M, but then that was not the brief.

On lens, the Rokkor 40 is well suited to the camera but equally I wouldn't rule out a Voigtländer 40. The true star of the M-Rokkor line up is undoubtedly the 28 - a true sleeper of a lens if ever there was one.

Your reliability question is very interesting. Why would you ask? I know why... because t'internet is awash with tales of them being "too electronic" etc etc. Well, I have yet to hear of a single real world example of a CLE failure. I stockpiled a couple of XD-7s in case (lots of shared electronics), but honestly I don't know why I bothered, the CLE is going great and has seen off many a digicam for reliability :)

Now read this: http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/cle.htm

Let us know how you get on!
    Thanks for the opinion and the links. Think I've read the Ken Rockwell one before. He also raves about the Hexar RF which I have.

I have something that I'm waiting to be delivered (not a CLE (yet)) so will let you know when it arrives....hopefully this won't be another film camera that mostly sits on the shelf!