closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Patek - the last psychiatrist

Patek - the last psychiatrist

I have to admit that this is by turns fascinating, insightful, and too close for comfort. Anyone else come across it?

"Luxury Branding the future Leaders of the World" http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2011/...uture_lea.html

Edit - elements of the content are possibly nsfw; nothing outré but depending on your corp environment
    Last edited by JGJG; 21st September 2017 at 22:22.

That was an interesting (but long!) read! I'd never looked at the PP ads in that way before but it makes a lot of sense.

Blog Entries
    Hmm.... Deanna Troi would be proud.

I'm incapable of not posting this yet again: http://the-toast.net/2013/12/09/you-...ything-really/

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I'm incapable of not posting this yet again: http://the-toast.net/2013/12/09/you-...ything-really/
    Very good! I particularly like the final ads:
    "The pair on the right will be an interesting match. The boy has clearly killed before, and killed efficiently and well. The father is perhaps a year or two past his prime — but only one or two."

Master
    Loved that OP; a really good find.

Master
    "That explains how the kid can be in a sweater vest and not trying to murder his family."
    Hahahahaha.
    Superbly written and a great insight into our consumer aspirations.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    An enjoyable read and a sharp analysis, though skewering PP ads from a gently left leaning perspective is like shooting fish in a barrel really.

You can tell it’s written a few years back. A $10,000 watch? You’ll be lucky. This changes the story, as I doubt the aspirational 14% would get a look in these days, not for a Nautilus anyway. Though he’s right of course, that advertising is not always aimed at the person shown in the picture - it’s aimed at the person who would like to be the person shown in the picture. This is hardly news though, or models would be considerably less thin.

And sharp as all this is, the author knows less about watches than he might. For instance, “Watches have the same problem diamond jewelry has; it better be beautiful enough to keep forever, because if you try and sell it you'll discover there is no secondary market for it.” Is he sure? The secondary market is crucial to PP’s proposition, even the rich won’t throw £25k at a watch unless there’s a reasonable chance of getting it back.

Then there’s the “complicated, unmemorizable tag line”. In reality few lines are better known or remembered. And Ryan Gosling’s watch in ‘Drive’, which is actually a cheap fake, though it’s hard to know what this means in the context of the film. Perhaps it’s supposed to represent the real thing, which they didn’t want to destroy during fight scenes. In any case it’s a non existent model.

Great find anyway, thanks for posting!
    Last edited by Itsguy; 22nd September 2017 at 08:01.

Have you noticed as well that it's always white people in Patek Philippe ads? I don't think it's racism it's more conveying the message to the far eastern buyers who make up the majority of their sales now that 'you too can be just like the stylised wealthy European that you wanted to be ever since you read about the Hapsburgs but only if you have one of these bits of wrist bling'. No need to waste any more money on expensive elocution lessons
    Last edited by ryanb741; 22nd September 2017 at 08:41.

that is brilliant

Thanks for poosting it

timm

Journeyman
    I agree it is fascinating-and possibly a bit too accurate to be comfortable in some cases. One thing I have noticed is that second hand women's luxury watches seem to be much less in demand (i.e. Cheaper) than men's. This would accord with what the article says.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm incapable of not reading it again. It's still hilarious.

Personally I think the Patek campaign was good but is wearing a bit thin. I'm not sure that 'the 14%' are all aspiring to that old money lifestyle anymore. Given they could probably sell every watch they can make for the next 10 years even if they stopped advertising altogether, it's hard to tell whether it is currently effective.

A fantastic read, he adopts an unusually loose but engaging writing style that had me hooked from the first sentence. I had often pondered the PP adds as I always found them mildly off-putting. It is certainly a brand that I have no affinity for and their advertising over many years has done nothing to change that. At least as an amateur psychologist I know may have a little more insight into the deep subliminal biases they are attempting to connect to in their target demographic.

Thanks for posting :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Personally I think the Patek campaign was good but is wearing a bit thin.
    Perhaps they need a new slogan? Something like:

"Patek Philippe: If you have to ask..."

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Perhaps they need a new slogan? Something like:

"Patek Philippe: If you have to ask..."
    What about "Patek Philippe: the only way is grey....."?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    What about "Patek Philippe: the only way is grey....."?
    Hehe

And they've also done one for the females of the species.
    http://the-toast.net/2015/02/12/wome...-philippe-ads/

"A Patek Philippe is a $60,000 watch, for in case you need to know what time it is while you’re spending $60,000."

Whatever helps aspirationally-minded folks justify blowing the kids' inheritance on a delicate white elephant, I guess. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Whatever helps aspirationally-minded folks justify blowing the kids' inheritance on a delicate white elephant, I guess. ;)
    That must be why it got the nickname Jumbo!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Have you noticed as well that it's always white people in Patek Philippe ads? I don't think it's racism it's more conveying the message to the far eastern buyers who make up the majority of their sales now that 'you too can be just like the stylised wealthy European that you wanted to be ever since you read about the Hapsburgs but only if you have one of these bits of wrist bling'. No need to waste any more money on expensive elocution lessons
    Yep. The writer is also very good on race issues in the US.