closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 6 months a forumer

Master

6 months a forumer

Hi has been 6 months since I joined this great forum, and have found it both interesting and very informative. So I thought I would post an up to date SOTC with a little detail for each piece.
    First a group shot.

So, in chronological order of my owning them.....
    TAG Heuer F1. 1996 A gift from my now ex wife, super reliable but now feels very small. I do like the lume now, looks nicely yellowed. Small anecdote, this ran on original battery for 5 plus years, stopped the week we separated. I know it is a coincidence, but, still......

Cartier Tank Francaise chronoreflex TT quartz. 1999 A watch I always thought very smart, and bought when I did do things like go out of an evening. Also a little small but does wear surprisingly well. However not often on my wrist.

A few came and went again before this next piece, a TAG link watch, a TT DJ, and a TT YM. Obviously I was into steel & YG at the time.
    PAM 49. 2009 I had looked at this model a few times whilst on holiday and really liked it and sourced one in the UK on my return. It was my daily wearer for a long time, and has been round the world with me, bearing the dings and chips of a well used life.

A few more came and went, a Cartier roadster chrono, DSSD and a 16610LV. Was without a Rolex for a while until this arrived.
    Explorer 2 polar. 2013 this was my 50th birthday present to myself, I had always quite liked the EXP2 but just loved the bigger size and orange hand of the revised model. This and the 49 rotated as daily wearers for a period, and I somehow managed to scratch the crystal. TZ membership inspired me to try different straps, NATO and leather (must admit that I had never removed a bracelet from a watch 6 months ago) but always comes back to the bracelet.

DSSD d blue. 2015 This was when the disorder really took a hold. The Rolex AD that I had always used lost his franchise some time after 2013, so I had put my name on the wait list at he only AD remaining in NI. This arrived in October and it just blew me away. Every time that I wear it I keep glancing at it, love how the thick crystal looks, and how the dial changes in different lights.

PAM 422. 2016 My second Panerai and again one that had been on my radar since it had been launched. I read extensively around the choice between this and the 372, but I like the small seconds function, and also the power indicator on the back. I found the indicator on the dial too fussy on the 423. This looks great on different straps, but the best is the OEM asso IMO.

GMT2 BLNR. 2017 I had really liked the colours on this bezel, but was concerned that it might have been a little small for my taste. Also, I never really took to the pre ceramic sub. However once on the wrist I adored it. It is very versatile, looking good with t shirt or suit, and feels much more substantial than the old sub. The PCLs are a total scratch magnet, but I have learned to relax into it. I have tried NATO and a Hirsch Robby, but like the EXP2 it is back on the bracelet.

PAM 346. 2017 My first watch purchase through SC on this forum. Saw it when it first appeared on SC and quite fancied it but was traded. The tradee put it back up again and, after after much number crunching and funds scraping together, it took its place in my collection. Such an understated piece, with the brushed titanium case. So light and comfortable to wear.

PAM 24. 2017 Last one, for now... After getting the above I placed a WTB for a submersible PAM. I got this 2009 24 from a member here, still a little unsure if I wanted a 47 or 44mm one. When it arrived I could not believe the condition, it truly looks like a new watch. I compared it to my PAM 49 which is of a similar vintage. Chalk and cheese come to mind. I feel that the size is spot on, it wears similarly to the PAM 422 which is all good by me.
    Not sure what next. I am on list for SD43 and new Skydweller, but there must be a limit. Or is there??

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Robsmck; 21st September 2017 at 22:08.

Some nice watches there. I like the Cartier! Rolexes and their bracelets do seem the best pairing. Thanks for posting.

Craftsman
    Very nice collection! That's a great shot of the blue DSSD, shows the dial off perfectly. I tried one on but it was just took big for me. I must investigate the world of Panerai someday but haven't a clue where to start.

Master
    You have some fantastic watches there. I also really like the colours of the DSSD but couldn't get away with the size.

Master
    Wow what a lovely collection. I've never seen a PAM49 before... really like it

Excellent collection thank you for sharing.

Master
    A good variation there, and in many ways, similar to a lot of watches I have owned in my time on TZ. I totally get what you say regarding the 422, I prefer it over the 372 aswell, although I've owned 2 372s but not a 422

Craftsman
    Lots of somewhat similar watches (you clearly have a type!) but all stunning pieces. Seems like people who love Panerais really love Panerais.

Time for a norn iron meetup, methinks

If you could only keep one, which would it be?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs View Post
    If you could only keep one, which would it be?
    I knew someone would ask me that 😀😀 and it is a difficult one. All I could say is that apart from the TAG and the Cartier any one would be a very nice 'only' watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Time for a norn iron meetup, methinks
    Good plan.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely collection. I particularly like the 422.

So many nice watches in your collection. The Explorer is the pick of the bunch for me

Master
    You have been busy collecting some lovely stuff there. What made you buy and sell the sub for instance and end up buying the GMT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    You have been busy collecting some lovely stuff there. What made you buy and sell the sub for instance and end up buying the GMT.

I bought the sub as I had always wanted one, for as long as I can recall, but it was a grave disappointment. I did wear it a bit but then got the DSSD so it was time for the sub to go. Looking at prices now I should have just stuck it in the safe 😣😣. I loved the colour of the BLNR bezel, and was happy to buy that style of Rolex again on the basis of the exp2 feel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Good plan.

Great collection.

Wouldnt mind a meet for a coffee sometime if anyone else was up for it (would love to see the 24 and 346 in the flesh!!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I bought the sub as I had always wanted one, for as long as I can recall, but it was a grave disappointment. I did wear it a bit but then got the DSSD so it was time for the sub to go. Looking at prices now I should have just stuck it in the safe . I loved the colour of the BLNR bezel, and was happy to buy that style of Rolex again on the basis of the exp2 feel.

Fair enough and I see what you mean. As I said I have the BLNR and went for the 116610LV - I must like colour. Maybe that will change as I get older.

Master
    Nice collection. Sea dweller looks best on your wrist. I assume you have large wrists....

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Loving the cushion... Oh and the watches.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Master
    My wrist is 7 inches but is quite flat so i can get away with a big watch. And yes, they are my favourite cushions.....