closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60th Anniversary Speedmaster

Master

60th Anniversary Speedmaster

Gents,

Interested to hear your thoughts as to what'll happen to these on the used market.

I've been offered the chance to buy one new at RRP, and am in two minds. On the one hand I expect I'll love it (38.6mm Speedy!!), but on the other I'm slightly worried about taking a bath on resale if I don't.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would buy it in a heartbeat. In the UK nobody seems to have had a sniff, I don't recall anyone on here saying they had a promise and in the US punters are expected to put up 100% deposits.

Unlike the ST I don't expect to see many of these on the secondary market and as such those who missed out will be willing to pay.

Buy it, keep it for a while, but if you flip it I think there would be queue around the block.

A no brainer really, this is like being offered a Snoopy or a Ceramic Daytona at retail.

Buy at £5500, sell all day long at £8k

No brainer

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd trade a ST reservation for one in an instant. I know some don't like the vintage lume but I think both the Speedmaster and Seamaster 60th look fantastic.

Absolute stunner. If you decide not to proceed please PM me and I'll send you funds to buy it on my behalf! There'll be a large drink on top too.

Master
    I tried to order this via several AD's on announcement and essentially got laughed at! Getting a DaytonaC would have been easier. Used pieces will sell at over retail. Shame because I've never been so keen on a watch before, and have certainly never tried to get on any sort of list before!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Absolute stunner. If you decide not to proceed please PM me and I'll send you funds to buy it on my behalf! There'll be a large drink on top too.
    Ditto please, if learningtofly decides not to pursue it for some reason - would love to own one!

So much nicer than a ST!
    This is a no brainer.

The long slim lugs are hard to love. I definitely prefer the ST.

Craftsman
    Given that most responses have suggested this watch should sell higher than RRP, I have to wonder why you have been offered one at RRP. Does 'too good to be true' seem appropriate?

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

If it's a genuine offer... Bite their hand off!

Master
    Many thanks for the responses guys, really appreciated. I'll be buying it for sure - I was keen anyway but looks like I'll have no problem moving it along if I ever need to!

Master

60th Anniversary Speedmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    Given that most responses have suggested this watch should sell higher than RRP, I have to wonder why you have been offered one at RRP. Does 'too good to be true' seem appropriate?

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate, luckily I'm reasonably comfortable with the source :)

Last edited by ddm27; 30th July 2017 at 04:27.

Craftsman
    You referring to this ?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Buy at £5500, sell all day long at £8k
    Are these going to be £5500?!! I thought it would be more like 4500.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Are these going to be £5500?!! I thought it would be more like 4500.
    Will 100% begin with a '5' sadly

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I believe you Ryan, but that seems a tad overpriced compared to the CK2998 and the Speedy Tuesday, even if the 60th does come with a bracelet.

Craftsman

On the omega website and yes all three start with a £5xxx

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches...ilogy/product/

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    On the omega website and yes all three start with a £5xxx

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches...ilogy/product/
    That's disappointing news. A couple of months ago a salesperson in a boutique told me that it would be 4500.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 30th July 2017 at 20:58.

Master
    Quite similar to the Speedy 57 in looks but will wear better being a bit smaller.
    Still prefer the ST to it though.
    Did Ryan not offer up the Trilogy a few months ago.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I would buy it in a heartbeat. In the UK nobody seems to have had a sniff, I don't recall anyone on here saying they had a promise and in the US punters are expected to put up 100% deposits.

Unlike the ST I don't expect to see many of these on the secondary market and as such those who missed out will be willing to pay.

Buy it, keep it for a while, but if you flip it I think there would be queue around the block.

A no brainer really, this is like being offered a Snoopy or a Ceramic Daytona at retail.
    Ken, I am not sure they are that difficult to get hold of. I emailed my AD this morning - he said I should have it in October(ish).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Ken, I am not sure they are that difficult to get hold of. I emailed my AD this morning - he said I should have it in October(ish).
    The limited addition - 60th Anniversary ones ??

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Arm. His. Off. Bite

:)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Arm. His. Off. Bite

:)
    Indeed I did!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    The limited addition - 60th Anniversary ones ??
    Yes, tbh I was surprised he said he could get me one.

I am sure this will sell well but may not see a craze.

I contacted Omega boutique and was told is not sold out yet and encouraged to put down a full deposit.
    I will probably do it.
    Looks like it is a centralized reservation system-so apparently no quotas.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 2nd August 2017 at 18:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post

I contacted Omega boutique and was told is not sold out yet and encouraged to put down a full deposit.
    I will probably do it.
    Then how come I was told "no chance" by all the AD's? Grrrrr

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Then how come I was told "no chance" by all the AD's? Grrrrr
    They were discerning.😜

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post

I will probably do it.
    I don't think it is fully a centralised reservation system.

I suspect a proportion of the watches have been allocated for ADs who will operate and manage their own lists, and a proportion for the OBs which I suspect may operate a centralised reservation list.

Speaking to my AD they applied for more watches than they were allocated, and I read on another forum that W44YNE was told today that his deposit was being refunded as his AD had been notified that their allocation was cut from 2 to 1 speedy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post
    I don't think it is fully a centralised reservation system.

I suspect a proportion of the watches have been allocated for ADs who will operate and manage their own lists, and a proportion for the OBs which I suspect may operate a centralised reservation list.

Speaking to my AD they applied for more watches than they were allocated, and I read on another forum that W44YNE was told today that his deposit was being refunded as his AD had been notified that their allocation was cut from 2 to 1 speedy

Yes that's correct. I was number two out of two, but was called yesterday to say they will only be receiving one. Omega are really going like Rolex lately; I liked them because they seemed much more customer-friendly in the past, but they're quickly going another way. It's a real shame.

Apprentice
    In my search for this piece, I have had fairly consistent feedback;

Omega Boutiques
    • Are maintaining waiting lists and expect demand to far exceed supply, with London-based Omega boutiques willing to add names, but advising that it is unlikely one will secure the piece at this stage
    • Have been told not to take any deposits, as their allocations have not yet been made

Large retailers
    • Are maintaining waiting lists and expect demand to far exceed supply, with London-based retailers largely advising that they will only receive a small number (2-3 pieces) and that these have been sold. Again, allocations have not yet formally been made, but it seems that guidance has been issued.
    • Noted that Omega increasingly focuses on serving their boutiques first and then allocating pieces to third party retailers

Small retailers
    • Are maintaining waiting lists and expect demand to far exceed supply, with London-based retailers largely advising that they will only receive a single piece, if they are lucky, and that has been sold. Allocations have not yet formally been made
    • Noted that Omega increasingly focuses on serving their boutiques and large retailers first and that they are last in line for such stock; all noted extreme difficulty in securing Snoopy pieces and having to turn away buyers when their allocations were later cut.
    • Two small retailers mentioned that they plan to keep the piece for themselves, seeing it not only as a excellent watch, but also as a strong candidate for price appreciation.

Apprentice
    For those interested, I would suggest doing your utmost to secure one whilst you can, if you can...I think this piece is going to have substantial demand given the below feedback. So far...no luck on my side...

I was offered any of the trio in a Shanghai OB last Saturday. I was about to pay the full deposit when the sales assistant said I could also reserve the trilogy.

As far as I was aware, the trilogy has long sold out, so I assumed it was just BS and said my goodbyes.

The exchange rate converted the price to 5700gbp.

There's no doubt this will be a highly desirable watch and it looks fantastic, but I can't help feeling that it's not as good value as the other two watches in the trilogy. The Railmaster and Seamaster both have the modern master coaxial movement and sapphire crystals, whereas the Speedy has the 1861 and hesalite. It's a big jump in price from the standard Speedy Pro with essentially the same spec.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I was offered any of the trio in a Shanghai OB last Saturday. I was about to pay the full deposit when the sales assistant said I could also reserve the trilogy.

As far as I was aware, the trilogy has long sold out, so I assumed it was just BS and said my goodbyes.

The exchange rate converted the price to 5700gbp.
    My understanding is that there's plenty of the trilogy box set around - it's the individual watches that are very hard to get. In the UK, the trilogy is £££ though (£15k or something daft, isn't it??)

- - - Updated - - -

PS Kingofthehill - a "piece" of what?

Master
    It's a beautiful watch I'd love to own.

I was in the omega boutique in blue water and the gent in there was telling me they aren't even getting any trilogy sets. I always take what these retailers say with a pinch of salt as it always just seems to be the "no chance" answer wherever you go at the moment. If nobody created any hysteria and they snuck into the stores then people would prob gaze at them in the window and think "gee, £5500" instead the hysteria created before they even get to the shops these days mean people are desperate to spend thousands on a watch that they'll be able to flip to someone who's even more desperate because all the flippers got there first.

Only reason I don't believe them always is due to a visit to one retailer where I asked about the Pelagos, they laughed and said there's a waiting list. I actually had to show her the one eta & two in house models in their window.

I think it's a good time to be a Breitling fan though! Seen a few of their 'Ltd edition' all black Navitimers sat around. But you certainly wouldn't want to buy one if you're going to sell it! My mate just bought one, think the retail is £7200? He paid £4K for a minter all boxed, papers etc that was a few months old. Imagine if that was the equivalent Rolex.

Apprentice
    My understanding is that there's plenty of the trilogy box set around - it's the individual watches that are very hard to get. In the UK, the trilogy is £££ though (£15k or something daft, isn't it??)
    I cannot comment on the availability of the trilogy, but I certainly think that the individual pieces are nicer for not having the additional dial markings of the trilogy pieces.

PS Kingofthehill - a "piece" of what?
    Have I got this wrong? What should it be?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
    Have I got this wrong? What should it be?
    Try "watch"?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Try "watch"?
    "Piece" is just fine, as in timepiece.

Master
    For the same people who buy them with "funds" no doubt.

If only I were fancy enough to move in your circles, Simon.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    For the same people who buy them with "funds" no doubt.

If only I were fancy enough to move in your circles, Simon.
    😜

Well Adrian, I either made a huge faux pas or I got out in time. I dunno, you hear so many different stories.

The trilogy retails at around 16,500 I believe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I dunno, you hear so many different stories.
    Yep, exactly this!

When I was trying to get a Speedmaster 60th I was told no chance, but the trilogy seemed pretty available, but I have no interest in the railmaster nor in spending £16.5k, though the box set is lovely to be sure.

Master
    Yep, exactly this!

When I was trying to get a Speedmaster 60th I was told no chance, but the trilogy seemed pretty available, but I have no interest in the railmaster nor in spending £16.5k, though the box set is lovely to be sure.
    The trilogy may be "available", but at least two dealers I know have taken 50% deposits, guaranteed it will arrive, and then had to refund due to omega pulling their order.

Omega are very quickly going the way of rolex from my experience recently. Controlling everything as much as they can.

I'm not a fan of the hands on the 60th - I never appreciated the originals, so I won't be adding this one - I much prefer the 50th additions.
    It's just a matter of time...

Apprentice
    I have made some fairly consistent efforts to secure this piece now; my conclusion is that it is an absolute blockbuster sell out! I have heard that the Commander is also fairing rather well. Omega is on a little bit of a roll at the moment it would seem.

Has anyone had any better luck?

Craftsman
    It seems that the UK allocation is probably gone, but it seems people getting reservations with hefty deposit without too much difficulty in the US boutiques

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
    I have made some fairly consistent efforts to secure this piece now; my conclusion is that it is an absolute blockbuster sell out! I have heard that the Commander is also fairing rather well. Omega is on a little bit of a roll at the moment it would seem.

Has anyone had any better luck?
    I managed to find an AD last week who had an allocation of one which had not been taken. I have put a deposit down!

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    I managed to find an AD last week who had an allocation of one which had not been taken. I have put a deposit down!
    There will be a queue for that when you put it on SC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    There will be a queue for that when you put it on SC
    I am hoping this is 'the one'!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Congratulations; you are very lucky indeed! I actually rang every OB and AD and nobody had any available according to the people I spoke with. May I ask which AD you found one at?