closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Problem with virgin media

Problem with virgin media

Just looking for some advice; cut a long story short; had a nightmare with there broadband service: had line changed from main box in street into the house , new router etc: service still dire: works intermittently day and night: can't use now tv box x box etc; phoned up to cancel phone line and broadband tonight only to be told I have to pay up till the end of my contract in December; roughly £140

Now I don't see why I should have to pay this as they are not supplying the service that i am contracted to pay for.
    Fella on the phone said that because I have not had 3 engineer visits within the last month I will have to pay up the remainder if the contract

Which to me is a joke: any one else had this problem.or has any advice

Much obliged in advance

Can't offer any advice I'm afraid but you have my sympathy. I'm on virgin for my broadband and it's been off for 3 days and is supposedly a big outage in my part of london with no sign of it ever being fixed soon, the day for it being fixed just moves to one day ahead every day I check online. It's not possible to speak to anyone and I just get a recorded message (it recognises my mobile is linked to an account that's service is down) telling me they are working on the problem.
    They are all as bad as each other apart from ZEN who have great customer support but are not available in my part of london as there is no BT fibre in my part of london.

You also have my sympathy. I experienced Virgin media installation team about 2yrs ago when I bumped Sky and went with them. They put back the install date about 3 times for broadband/phone until I lit up at them over the phone for 10 minutes or so.
    They had me done inside 48hrs, sorted and to be honest, it's been spot on.

Get on the blower and play merry hell with them. It worked for me.

I appreciate it's a different problem you're experiencing but a loud extended moan can go a long way.

On this forum and another I inhabit nobody can do anything but praise the speed - and complain bitterly that it so rarely seems to work reliably. If there was a forum feature where one could count the 'Virgin is crap' threads it would show what I mean.
    Yet Talktalk, which has the reputation of I don't know what, almost never features in the complaints, and performs almost (but not entirely) faultlessly. Go figure.

A few months ago I thought I was a victim of Virgin's over exuberance at recruiting new customers, i.e service dropped in and out, sometimes I'd turn on the TiVo and the internet would go down, there was no real pattern to it and I was getting set to leave them.

Then I had a brainwave. I checked all the cables and the attachments and one was really loose. Tightened it up and it's been right as rain since. It was driving me nuts for about 2 months.

Got to be worth 10 minutes of your time.

Personally I would stand your ground, and take it further. Virgin Media!! I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. An elderly lady (79yrs) who I do jobs for, went on them. They kept bumping up her package, put her on Virgin Mobile without her permission and it's took me weeks to plea with them to cancel them.
    In the end, they apologised and said it was their, 'sales team anxious to make targets'. She's since gone on to Talk Talk with no issues ( I too am with them..last 13yrs, never an issue). Watch out for your billing with VM.

You'll hear horror stories about all ISPs. My brother is with Talk Talk and was happy with the 5mbps he got and then it suddently dropped to 2.4mbps. It doesn't matter when he runs a speed test, it's always a solid 2.4mbps. He's convinced they are throttling his speed back so he will upgrade to fibre, which they're always trying to sell him.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    You'll hear horror stories about all ISPs. My brother is with Talk Talk and was happy with the 5mbps he got and then it suddently dropped to 2.4mbps. It doesn't matter when he runs a speed test, it's always a solid 2.4mbps. He's convinced they are throttling his speed back so he will upgrade to fibre, which they're always trying to sell him.

Eddie
    He should ask for a 'line' test to see where the issue is. Sometimes work at the exchange can cause issues too.

Master
    have Virgin not just increased their price by £2.99? I think I still have the letter at home (ill check) this could be you get out -free

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    have Virgin not just increased their price by £2.99? I think I still have the letter at home (ill check) this could be you get out -free
    I'm calling them today about this. They do it twice a year. Luckily my 12-month contract expired yesterday so I'm 'leaving' for Sky, unless I got offered a better deal of course

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had about 3 outages on Virgin Media in 10 years. Every time I've been refunded for the full period of the outage, longest was 8 days.

Their sales team is an ouright nuisance - no matter how much you ask them not to phone they will. Their support is patchy unless you can get put through to the UK call centre, in which case it can be pretty good.

You generally have to phone to get a good deal every couple of years but that's nothing unusual as ISPs go.