timefactors watches
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 152

Thread: iOS 11 Now available

  1. #101
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    12,312
    I like this update on my 6S
    Well, everybody in Casablanca has problems. Yours may work out.

  2. #102
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    175
    11.0.3 is out now


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #103
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    1,370
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Put 11.0.2 on my iPhone 6 the other day and wish I hadn't. It's really slow since.
    It takes an age to re format all the files. Will speed up after a day or two and battery life will come back.

  4. #104
    Master andrewcregan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Highlands, Scotland
    Posts
    9,523
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    11.0.3 is out now
    Well spotted And updated thanks.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    It takes an age to re format all the files. Will speed up after a day or two and battery life will come back.
    My IPhone 6 took a while to settle down. Battery life was pretty poor when out even with battery saving mode.

    Now its all settled down. Shame there isnít a way to see what is going on in the background. Looking at the battery stats screen in settings didnít really shed any light on it.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  6. #106
    I'm just going to 11.0.3 now as well, I take it 11 isn't going so well? Is this a normal new release strategy for apple?

  7. #107
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I'm just going to 11.0.3 now as well, I take it 11 isn't going so well? Is this a normal new release strategy for apple?
    I've always understood that Apple use consumers to do their "Beta" testing, as I think it's called. In other words, they don't test releases properly. I'm always wary what updates do to phones that aren't the absolute latest models.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I've always understood that Apple use consumers to do their "Beta" testing, as I think it's called. In other words, they don't test releases properly. I'm always wary what updates do to phones that aren't the absolute latest models.
    Sorry but that isn't correct, the releases are tested in house, then the App developers get a version to test their Apps against and finally the Beta testing is opened up to the public via https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

    https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 18th October 2017 at 14:00.

  9. #109
    Master andrewcregan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Highlands, Scotland
    Posts
    9,523
    11.1 now available gents

  10. #110
    ...and with a Saltire emoji at last! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 👏👍

  11. #111
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    1,370
    Blog Entries
    1
    The battery life on my iPhone 7 has reduced considerably after the 11.1 update.

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    The battery life on my iPhone 7 has reduced considerably after the 11.1 update.
    Same here. And to think this was the flagship phone just a few short months ago and already they seem to be killing it with the upgrades. Give it a year or so and the X will be the next own crippled by Ďupdatesí !


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    The battery life on my iPhone 7 has reduced considerably after the 11.1 update.
    Ditto - barely getting through a day

  14. #114
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mid Glamorgan
    Posts
    2,748
    Worst thing I ever did to my 6 was upgrade it to IOS 11.
    My phone is awful slow now

  15. #115
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up a creek
    Posts
    27,582
    11.1 supposedly had a fix for the battery problems caused by 11.0.1/2/3. This of course wasn't an official Apple claim, but the people who write the tech stuff on the Forbes website reported that their affected devices improved a lot with 11.1 installed. My new 7+ came 3 or 4 weeks ago with 11.0 installed and works fine, so I'll be leaving as is. What's puzzling is that it's a range of models affected and in reality probably a very small number of the total in use.

    Edit. I just took a look at the Forbes site and itís not looking good https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/11/05/apple-ios-11-1-starts-causing-problems/amp/
    Last edited by magirus; 6th November 2017 at 09:58.

  16. #116
    Grand Master Glamdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Doncaster, UK
    Posts
    16,134
    Link not found. ^

  17. #117
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up a creek
    Posts
    27,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Link not found. ^
    The link is working on my iPad and phone, however look here and the Google result titled "Apple IOS 11.1 Starts Causing Problems" should get you there.

  18. #118
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mid Glamorgan
    Posts
    2,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Link not found. ^
    Not working on my phone either.

  19. #119
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,377
    Apple seem to be updating this every ten minutes!

    Pity they couldnít get it right to begin with, I thought this was the point of beta releases?

  20. #120
    Grand Master Carlton-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Berlin, London and sometimes Dublin
    Posts
    10,628
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Pity they couldn’t get it right to begin with, I thought this was the point of beta releases?
    And having 100% control of the hardware platform.
    Die Zeit verwandelt uns nicht, sie entfaltet uns nur.

  21. #121
    I just noticed another update today. Battery did improve on my ancient 5S but last update it went back to being rubbish.

  22. #122
    I recently did the phone again, not bothered with the ipad yet thank goodness. I think I'm 11.1.1 now. A bit worrying really.

  23. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I recently did the phone again, not bothered with the ipad yet thank goodness. I think I'm 11.1.1 now. A bit worrying really.
    Why is it worrying? The most recent update corrected an issue with auto correct and had a security fix in too.

    I was listening to a podcast earlier where the host said he saw the iOS 11.0 release in September as the start of the product year with features announced at WWDC being rolled out throughout the following months. Previously Apple dumped everything in the September release. Anything that didn't make it was saved for the following September. So far iOS 11.1 has introduced animoji and new emoji as well as support for the iPhone X. Apple are beta testing 11.2 at the moment which will be released in the next month or so. This includes support for wireless fast charging in the 8 and X and Apple Pay Cash (for the US only). I see continual development to the OS as a good thing. Security and bug fixes are also good.

  24. #124
    Master Skier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    1,270

    iOS 11.2 Update Avaialble

    Full release notes for the update are available below:
    iOS 11.2 introduces Apple Pay Cash to send, request, and receive money from friends and family with Apple Pay. This update also includes bug fixes and improvements.

    Apple Pay Cash (US Only)
    Send, request, and receive money from friends and family with Apple Pay in Messages or by asking Siri

    Other improvements and fixes
    - Adds support for faster wireless charging on iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X with compatible third-party accessories
    - Introduces three new Live wallpapers for iPhone X
    - Improves video camera stabilization
    - Adds support in Podcasts to automatically advance to the next episode from the same show
    - Adds support in HealthKit for downhill snow sports distance as a data type
    - Fixes an issue that could cause Mail to appear to be checking for new messages even when a download is complete
    - Fixes an issue that could cause cleared Mail notifications from Exchange accounts to reappear
    - Improves stability in Calendar
    - Resolves an issue where Settings could open to a blank screen
    - Fixes an issue that could prevent swiping to Today View or Camera from the Lock Screen
    - Addresses an issue that could prevent Music controls from displaying on the Lock Screen
    - Fixes an issue that could cause app icons to be arranged incorrectly on the Home Screen
    - Addresses an issue that could prevent users from deleting recent photos when iCloud storage is exceeded
    - Addresses an issue where Find My iPhone sometimes wouldnít display a map
    - Fixes an issue in Messages where the keyboard could overlap the most recent message
    - Fixes an issue in Calculator where typing numbers rapidly could lead to incorrect results
    - Addressed an issue where the keyboard could respond slowly
    - Adds support for real-time text (RTT) phone calls for the deaf and hard of hearing
    - Improves VoiceOver stability in Messages, Settings, App Store, and Music
    - Resolves an issue that prevented VoiceOver from announcing incoming Notifications
    For more details on the iOS 11 operating system, make sure to check out our dedicated roundup.

    Update: We're seeing several reports that Apple Pay Cash is not available in the release version of iOS 11.2. Given that this update was released at an unusual time, it may not be activated as of yet. It's likely we'll see Apple Pay Cash become available early next week.

  25. #125
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mayfair & Surrey
    Posts
    14,850
    Installed, seems fine
    Follow Me on: Instagram Twitter



    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  26. #126
    Master andrewcregan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Highlands, Scotland
    Posts
    9,523
    Yep looking good here on all devices.
    Well spotted

  27. #127
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    468
    Praying this improves battery life

  28. #128
    Am finding this hard to believe.

    Is this procession of updates normal for Apple? Were they previously keeping their bug-finds secret or are they starting to release bug-ridden code too quickly?

    What with the "root" <no password> fiasco it all looks rather bad for Apple.

  29. #129
    Has anyone had 3D Touch screw up after update?

  30. #130
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    2,250
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Am finding this hard to believe.

    Is this procession of updates normal for Apple? Were they previously keeping their bug-finds secret or are they starting to release bug-ridden code too quickly?

    What with the "root" <no password> fiasco it all looks rather bad for Apple.
    This one was always on the cards any time soon to introduce Apple Pay and slowly release the wireless charging power, think they brought it slightly ahead to squish some bugs

  31. #131
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Posts
    237
    11.1.2 at the moment on my 6S plus and not had any problems with battery life at all.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #132
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,377
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    This one was always on the cards any time soon to introduce Apple Pay and slowly release the wireless charging power, think they brought it slightly ahead to squish some bugs
    Thanks for that, Apple appear to be releasing updates with monotonous regularity with one very quickly following the previous one.

  33. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Why is it worrying? The most recent update corrected an issue with auto correct and had a security fix in too.

    I was listening to a podcast earlier where the host said he saw the iOS 11.0 release in September as the start of the product year with features announced at WWDC being rolled out throughout the following months. Previously Apple dumped everything in the September release. Anything that didn't make it was saved for the following September. So far iOS 11.1 has introduced animoji and new emoji as well as support for the iPhone X. Apple are beta testing 11.2 at the moment which will be released in the next month or so. This includes support for wireless fast charging in the 8 and X and Apple Pay Cash (for the US only). I see continual development to the OS as a good thing. Security and bug fixes are also good.
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    This one was always on the cards any time soon to introduce Apple Pay and slowly release the wireless charging power, think they brought it slightly ahead to squish some bugs
    Noted, thanks. I've only been in the Apple eco system (one ipad, one iphone) for 12 months so finding the update frequency unusual and unsettling but probably unnecessarily then.

  34. #134
    Craftsman wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Noted, thanks. I've only been in the Apple eco system (one ipad, one iphone) for 12 months so finding the update frequency unusual and unsettling but probably unnecessarily then.
    No, youíre completely right. Iíve used Apple equipment for the last 15 years and iPhones since the 4. Apple have never rolled out updates with this frequency and when they mentioned something new it was always being released that day and relatively bug free. The current Apple is losing its ďit just worksĒ status and as Android and Windows are upping their respective games the difference between Apple and its competitors is less and less and the Apple premium more unjustifiable.

    Apple is 100% not the same quality today as it was 5 years ago. Their latest innovations are the same junk headphones but wireless, a watch that needs charging at least once a day, and their own version of an Echo/Google Home which theyíve had to push the release date back on because they canít get it out. And thatís before the leak about the reduced accuracy/security in Face ID to get enough phones out of the factory in time which Apple said is false but we now have videos online of a 12 year old vid unlocking his mums iPhone X and two brothers unlocking each otherís. A finger print is way more secure and convenient than Face ID but Apple couldnít manage to get Touch ID under the glass on the X so abandoned it. Rumours are it will be on the S9 and the next IPhone.

    My personal phone is an iPhone 7+ and my work phone is a OnePlus 3T and considering the iPhone was £919 and the OnePlus was £450 the iPhone isnít worth double. Itís worth more, yes (better camera, screen etc), but absolutely not worth double. Also the widgets on the Android are great and something Apple doesnít have.

    My next phone with be the either the next S9+ or next gen Pixel XL.

  35. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    No, youíre completely right. Iíve used Apple equipment for the last 15 years and iPhones since the 4. Apple have never rolled out updates with this frequency and when they mentioned something new it was always being released that day and relatively bug free. The current Apple is losing its ďit just worksĒ status and as Android and Windows are upping their respective games the difference between Apple and its competitors is less and less and the Apple premium more unjustifiable.

    Apple is 100% not the same quality today as it was 5 years ago. Their latest innovations are the same junk headphones but wireless, a watch that needs charging at least once a day, and their own version of an Echo/Google Home which theyíve had to push the release date back on because they canít get it out. And thatís before the leak about the reduced accuracy/security in Face ID to get enough phones out of the factory in time which Apple said is false but we now have videos online of a 12 year old vid unlocking his mums iPhone X and two brothers unlocking each otherís. A finger print is way more secure and convenient than Face ID but Apple couldnít manage to get Touch ID under the glass on the X so abandoned it. Rumours are it will be on the S9 and the next IPhone.

    My personal phone is an iPhone 7+ and my work phone is a OnePlus 3T and considering the iPhone was £919 and the OnePlus was £450 the iPhone isnít worth double. Itís worth more, yes (better camera, screen etc), but absolutely not worth double. Also the widgets on the Android are great and something Apple doesnít have.

    My next phone with be the either the next S9+ or next gen Pixel XL.
    I agree on most of the above - but wonít be returning to android - everyone I know with an android phone,even the flagship models always complain about weird glitches and issues after about a year of ownership. They just donít seem stable or reliable enough and I am not one for stripping everything off my phone every now and again, factory resets etc to keep it going. Also had issues with SD cards dying (decent branded quality ones) so not a route Iíll be taking


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  36. #136
    Craftsman wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I agree on most of the above - but wonít be returning to android - everyone I know with an android phone,even the flagship models always complain about weird glitches and issues after about a year of ownership. They just donít seem stable or reliable enough and I am not one for stripping everything off my phone every now and again, factory resets etc to keep it going. Also had issues with SD cards dying (decent branded quality ones) so not a route Iíll be taking


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good points and youíre right, the grass isnít greener with Android at all. I refuse to use an SD card in any phone and all the Samsungís are 64GB with an SD card slot which puts me off. In order to get the best Android experience you have to get a Pixel but this yearís pixels are essentially an ďs modelĒ iPhone so I skipped. I think my main point in the huge rant was that an iPhone isnít worth £1,149 at all and I would rather spend less on Android as it becomes much of a muchness and both platforms are near equally buggy. Also the Pixel has the best smartphone camera available. Slightly better than iPhone who have over 400 people working full time on their camera.

  37. #137
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    2,250
    Blog Entries
    1
    Agree to an extent. I think Apple simply have too many products, each product has its own firmware etc. its mind boggling how many variations of iPads and iPhones there is now compared to the early days when it was simply 3 storage tiers of each. They are selling too many / making too much to care since on the virge of becoming the first trillion dollar company.

    However its worse for proper Mac users - hardware being ignored for donkeys, Mac Mini, Mac Pro updates have been absymal. All about the $$$$ and sales, which of course have dropped on proper computers since the average joe can do most tasks on iOS.


    No way will Touch ID be back. Not Apples style to go backwards and personally I think 1st Gen Face ID is overall superb, the videos I have seen are mainly dubious (twins I imagine is legit) or require making 3D masks which require your face to be modelled first and not quite what you expect the average thief to attempt!! Regardless mine is rock solid and my kids at home and mates down the pub tried many a time for a laugh and failed which is good enough for me :)

    Like watches the costs are getting ridiculously higher however a bit like PC vs Mac - Mac hardware has superb resell value so its not a complete write off after several years use when it comes to update to a new model.
    Last edited by kultschar; 4th December 2017 at 10:54.

  38. #138
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,123
    I updated my 6s the other day and now the ringtone that I was using won't work. It shows in the ringtones menu as a Purchased ringtone and you can select it and play it, but when anyone calls it simply defaults to the regular ringtone.

    Strangely enough, the two other ringtones that are in the Purchased section do work.

  39. #139
    I think they are over stretching themselves with too many models - just for the sake of it tbh. I bought a regular iPhone 7 earlier this year (the + models just wonít fit in a trouser side pocket so I would never consider one) with 128gb storage, stuck it in a tech 21 case and had a glass screen protector fitted and I donít expect to replace it for 2-3 years. I have no issue with Touch ID, donít want a glass back (they can break), donít need wireless charging (you still have to plug in a charger and itís apparently slower - so pointless?) I also have no issue with the screen size or a border round the screen, Iím happy with no headphone socket (the bundled ones are fine for me and Iím not a commuter so never use them anyway). It all works fine yet thereís now an 8 and the X which apparently run Ďmuch fasterí than the 7, but is it noticeable in real life use? Nope. So again, pointless. Iíll just do what I usually do - in 3 years Iíll pass it to my wife (who will keep it in her handbag next to her keys and a nail file so it will look 20 years old in a week!) - she has zero interest in phones as long as it works and has a decent camera. Then Iíll get the latest iPhone that happens to be out at the time, rinse and repeat. I used to do the early adoption/latest phone thing when I was in my 20ís but realised you might as well tear up £50 notes - Iím a bit more sensible (or possibly just stingy!) nowadays - thereís always a new model round the corner but the upgrades are almost imperceptible in use


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  40. #140

    iOS 11 Now available

    Updated and it all seems fine.


    Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

  41. #141
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    2,250
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I think they are over stretching themselves with too many models - just for the sake of it tbh. I bought a regular iPhone 7 earlier this year (the + models just wonít fit in a trouser side pocket so I would never consider one) with 128gb storage, stuck it in a tech 21 case and had a glass screen protector fitted and I donít expect to replace it for 2-3 years. I have no issue with Touch ID, donít want a glass back (they can break), donít need wireless charging (you still have to plug in a charger and itís apparently slower - so pointless?) I also have no issue with the screen size or a border round the screen, Iím happy with no headphone socket (the bundled ones are fine for me and Iím not a commuter so never use them anyway). It all works fine yet thereís now an 8 and the X which apparently run Ďmuch fasterí than the 7, but is it noticeable in real life use? Nope. So again, pointless. Iíll just do what I usually do - in 3 years Iíll pass it to my wife (who will keep it in her handbag next to her keys and a nail file so it will look 20 years old in a week!) - she has zero interest in phones as long as it works and has a decent camera. Then Iíll get the latest iPhone that happens to be out at the time, rinse and repeat. I used to do the early adoption/latest phone thing when I was in my 20ís but realised you might as well tear up £50 notes - Iím a bit more sensible (or possibly just stingy!) nowadays - thereís always a new model round the corner but the upgrades are almost imperceptible in use


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah im along those same lines. I only updated this time around as mine was 3-4 years old and iOS11 killed it!!

  42. #142
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    150
    Had a nasty issue with my iPhoneX at the weekend.

    It seemed to be crashing then you get a black screen with the spinning circle, then the phone home screen comes back. Just doing it over and over.

    There was a pending update to 11.2, which I did and that seems to have sorted it.

  43. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    Had a nasty issue with my iPhoneX at the weekend.

    It seemed to be crashing then you get a black screen with the spinning circle, then the phone home screen comes back. Just doing it over and over.

    There was a pending update to 11.2, which I did and that seems to have sorted it.
    That was an iOS 11.1 bug which was specific to local notifications being sent on 2nd December. It's the reason the iOS 11.2 update was issued on Friday night rather than waiting until early this week.

  44. #144
    Craftsman Maysie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sunny Suffolk
    Posts
    598
    Does anyone with the 'battery drain issue' since moving to 11... know if this latest version fixes the problem?

    My 6S battery used to last around 2 days if not used much, but can barely last 10hrs now since moving from ios 10 to 11 even when totally unused.

  45. #145
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    919
    Tbh, and touch wood, Iíve had no issues with any of the IOS 11 updates across our range of Apple devices. That said I always do major updates via iTunes and only point ones on devices. Hopefully that way I get a full wipe and fresh install.

  46. #146
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Hopefully that way I get a full wipe and fresh install.
    There is no difference in the end result in terms of the IOS image on the device - the most relevant advantage of doing it via Itunes is that Itunes takes a backup.

  47. #147
    Craftsman Maysie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sunny Suffolk
    Posts
    598
    All of my updates have been done using iTunes, but the last update still screwed the battery life on my 6S.

  48. #148
    Master Skier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    1,270
    iOS 11.2.1 now available.

  49. #149
    Master andrewcregan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Highlands, Scotland
    Posts
    9,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    iOS 11.2.1 now available.
    Nice one Downloading right now.

  50. #150
    Master Skier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Nice one Downloading right now.
    No problems here on an iPhone X , iPad Mini 4 and 2 x iPod Touch. That said it's only been an hour or so!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •