closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New iMac or not

New iMac or not

Our eight year old family iMac, a 27" i5, has succumbed to overheating issues that seem to be uneconomical to repair. To my surprise my wife has suggested that we don't replace it.

Aside from the problem of extracting 8 years of photos and documents from the Time Machine backup has anyone else given up desktop computing at home? After more than 20 years i suspect that i will miss it but am keen to keep an open mind, we have; a MacBook Pro, an iPad and iPhones so won't be giving up the Apple ecosystem.

Have you thought about just buying a cheap large-ish screen and plugging the Macbook Pro in when you need the benefit of a larger screen?

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    Have you thought about just buying a cheap large-ish screen and plugging the Macbook Pro in when you need the benefit of a larger screen?
    I have but I think the space the monitor would take up would undermine her case for getting rid of the iMac. I suspect that her aim is to get rid of the chair and desk it sits on.

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    I have but I think the space the monitor would take up would undermine her case for getting rid of the iMac. I suspect that her aim is to get rid of the chair and desk it sits on.
    Take up World of Tanks. Great game that does work on the Mac and will need a desk and chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Take up World of Tanks. Great game that does work on the Mac and will need a desk and chair.
    I suspect that World of Tanks may have done for the eight year old graphics card

Overheating issues can often point to the buildup of clart inside the case. Do you know anyone who's got access to compressed air? Blowing all the crap out has saved many an old PC in my experience..

Cheers,

Plug

Blog Entries
    Wow can't believe you've got such a good excuse to get a new IMac and dithering.
    Get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Wow can't believe you've got such a good excuse to get a new IMac and dithering.
    Get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Get it done.
    Yes, before SW - sometimes - MBO can put her foot down re desk and chair.

I've just replaced my 10 year old iMac 24" with a new 27 and it's mega. I love it. Money well spent.

So many new features. It's brill.

I also recently bought a touch bar MacBook and they sync amazingly well together.

Bloody expensive but if I get 10 years out of them it'll be well worth the outlay.

Get it bought!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    I've just replaced my 10 year old iMac 24" with a new 27 and it's mega. I love it. Money well spent.

So many new features. It's brill.

I also recently bought a touch bar MacBook and they sync amazingly well together.

Bloody expensive but if I get 10 years out of them it'll be well worth the outlay.

Get it bought!
    Totally agree. In the last 2 months have replaced both at work and at home two 24in iMac (from 2008-2009) with two i7 iMacs 27in. Great machines, particularly if with just SSD and external Timemachine-data drives. Very satisfied, particularly at work where the old iMac was struggling with Adobe CC and other newer software.

Have iPad at home, and MacAir at work which I mainly use for lectures. All interacts very well.

I am done with iMacs unfortunately..I find the Retna screens are great but so sharp that they hurt my eyes after a days use. Its a shame they don't do matte versions as well. I went for a mac mini with an Eizo screen (same price) that way if something goes wrong i don't have to ditch the whole thing. The Eizo's are easy on the eye and have a 10 yr guarantee.

I was in a similar position, same model, same issues it was frankly f'd. Everything was on iCloud so all good on photos but I got a macbook air instead.

Why do you need one if you have a macbook and an iPad? Unless you're doing heavy graphic design it's really not going to be needed...I wanted a new one but I've not missed it one bit

Some interesting psychology has been at work here. My wife mentioned it to my student son who explained that he gets a discount for her and a free pair of beats headphones for him. Suddenly resistance was futile.

Master
    Has anyone used the Apple part exchange ? You've reminded me to get a quote for my 2010 imac.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Has anyone used the Apple part exchange ? You've reminded me to get a quote for my 2010 imac.
    I looked recently and it was pitiful.

Craftsman
    On the subject of dust inside an old Mac, I just changed the hard drive in a seven year old iMac and was amazed at the amount of densely packed crud that I found inside the vents. Blowing it inside with compressed air could well just cause it to clog stuff up further inside. It was relatively simple to take the screen off and blow out from inside. The clouds of dust and gubbins was decidedly satisfying to see. Mac runs much better now with a 7200 speed drive and clear vents.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    If you do want to buy a new one, it’s worth checking if anyone in the family is eligible for the education discount. My gf just got a free st of beats headphones and either 10 or 15% off the price too by using her adult education details.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

what's the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    Our eight year old family iMac, a 27" i5, has succumbed to overheating issues that seem to be uneconomical to repair. To my surprise my wife has suggested that we don't replace it.

Aside from the problem of extracting 8 years of photos and documents from the Time Machine backup has anyone else given up desktop computing at home? After more than 20 years i suspect that i will miss it but am keen to keep an open mind, we have; a MacBook Pro, an iPad and iPhones so won't be giving up the Apple ecosystem.
    My iMac had problems with the graphics card failing & after doing a bit of research on t'interweb I read that putting the card in a hot oven for a few minutes can repair the problem. I thought it sounded like a load of old bovine manure but I thought I've nothing to lose & was amazed to see the problem rectified, well for now at least. Admittedly I was a TV tech in days gone by so was fairly confident in stripping it down & it's not an easy job with no previous techy practise but it's worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    My iMac had problems with the graphics card failing & after doing a bit of research on t'interweb I read that putting the card in a hot oven for a few minutes can repair the problem. I thought it sounded like a load of old bovine manure but I thought I've nothing to lose & was amazed to see the problem rectified, well for now at least. Admittedly I was a TV tech in days gone by so was fairly confident in stripping it down & it's not an easy job with no previous techy practise but it's worth considering.
    Could be that just stripping it down and remaking connections cured the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by tabascokid View Post
    If you do want to buy a new one, it’s worth checking if anyone in the family is eligible for the education discount. My gf just got a free st of beats headphones and either 10 or 15% off the price too by using her adult education details.
    Exactly. It's 10% with a NUS card.

The Beats alone are £249

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Could be that just stripping it down and remaking connections cured the problem?
    I’ve done this with a laptop graphics card and another laptops motherboard, both did not work after unplugging everything and plugging back in. Both did work after baking.

The solder they use for surface mount components has a low melting point and is fragile, prone to cracking when stressed.

So if it has cracked you get an unreliable or dead PC. Baking it reflows the solder sorting out the cracked joints so it works again.

Of course an oven is not a proper solder reflow station so it may work, and may work for a while. YMMV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk