closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JLC gone for a service ... :upset:

JLC gone for a service ... :upset:

In June 2014 I got my first automatic, a JLC Master Hometime (a very generous 30th birthday present to myself!), and was very pleased with myself ( Arrival Thread ). Since then I've worn it regularly and often for weeks at a time, before switching it out for a while. Even though I've worn it a lot, I can't say it has had any abuse, I've just worn it ... watches are there to be worn, right!?

Unfortunately, in August it simply stopped working. No gradual time loss, no issues or hints that anything was wrong, just went from working fine one day to not the next. The symptoms were that despite winding from the crown or from the rotor movement, it would tick for less than 10 seconds and stop. I did some reading online, but didn't find any hints on what might have been wrong.

So a couple of weeks ago, I called JLC and they said to take it into the boutique on Old Bond Street the next time I was in London, where they have someone qualified to take a look on-site between 9am and 5pm every day. They would take a look and let me know what was going on - no appointment necessary. I was happy enough with this, as I expected that someone that knows what they're doing and the particular movement would be able to give me a fair idea as to what might be wrong and what would need to be done to fix it.

Skip to today and I finally manage to get out of meetings on a London trip early enough to pop in. The lady that served me had no idea what was wrong (said she wasn't qualified to say) and in fact barely looked at it, other than to take a note of any marks on it. It's now on it's way back to JLC for an estimated 12 weeks at a cost of at least £720!

When buying it, I had read on here about servicing a JLC being a bit of a pain and I decided that was something I'd worry about in ~5 years. Can't believe that after only three years I'm forking out £720 on a 6k watch.

I still really like the watch, but I have to say this has tarnished my feelings for it. I think I'd regret getting rid of it when it comes back but at the same time I can't say I'm not thinking about it.

Also, a new strap (which it probably needs to be fair) would have been £290.

Master
    A bit of research on here, and you’d have found that Brendan (webwatchmaker) is a former JLC repairer (and probably a few other Richemont brands too), and may’ve been able to resolve your watch’s issue for substantially less than you’re looking likely to be paying, and a whole lot quicker to boot.
    It may not be too late to have the watch returned, etc, etc.

Craftsman
    I would second the last poster's observations.

I would email Brendan, to confirm he will ne able to help (webwatchmaker on here).

If you are able, as they are unlikely to have started work on it yet, I'd ring, and tell them you've changed your mind.

Then get it down to Brendan, and he'll look at what needs doing.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    A bit of research on here, and you’d have found that Brendan (webwatchmaker) is a former JLC repairer (and probably a few other Richemont brands too), and may’ve been able to resolve your watch’s issue for substantially less than you’re looking likely to be paying, and a whole lot quicker to boot.
    It may not be too late to have the watch returned, etc, etc.
    Fair point I guess. I had more been searching for what might be wrong than who might be able to fix it. It hadn't really crossed my mind that not sending back to JLC would be a possibility after all I've heard about their servicing costs and the various manufactures no longer supplying parts.

Master
    Commiserations. Servicing with JLC is off-putting. I had a Master Control that stopped while under guarantee. Took six months and they claimed I must have misused it; i hadn't. They charged £600.
    That was enough for me. Goodbye JLC.

Master
    Its definitely going to cost more than £720

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Its definitely going to cost more than £720
    Based on experience with JLC, an idea of what might be wrong or both?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garmee View Post
    Based on experience with JLC, an idea of what might be wrong or both?
    No idea, but they're really going to turn the screw to extract as much as possible from you.

Repairs, new parts, may as well do a service while we're at it .........

@steppy - no doubt they would based on what I've seen so far!

I've reached out to Brendan (webwatchmaker) now and he says he should be able to take a look for me so I'm going to try and get in contact with them tomorrow before it's sent off to see if I can get it back.

Many thanks @PJ S and @Mainspring for the recommendation.

Master
    Good idea, as JLC would probably have it for 6 months

2014? It's only 3 yrs old? Or did you buy it preloved? If new I'd be kicking up the mother of all stinks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    2014? It's only 3 yrs old? Or did you buy it preloved? If new I'd be kicking up the mother of all stinks

Brand new in June 2014. I tried saying I was quite disappointed and showed them my guarantee card but she didn't even look at it and said "we don't need to see that as the warranty only covers two years". She basically wasn't interested. Not really the experience I was expecting/hoping for. As I said in my original post - it has tainted it a bit for me.

Grand Master
    What amazes me is that you didn't ask what was wrong with it!

A 3 year old watch that's run fine, then stops, has either had a hard knock or something's broken....... and if it hasn't had a knock I' d suspect the mainspring. I definitely think you're owed an explanation, a 3 year old watch shouldn't just stop!

It's out of warranty........Brendan's your man!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

A 3 year old watch that's run fine, then stops, has either had a hard knock or something's broken....... and if it hasn't had a knock I' d suspect the mainspring. I definitely think you're owed an explanation, a 3 year old watch shouldn't just stop!

Paul
    I did ask! She said she wasn't qualified to say and it had to go back. Which was disappointing since they said on the phone someone on-site would be able to take a look for me there and then without an appointment.

Until the first response on this thread I didn't think a non-JLC repair was an option, so I didn't end up pushing as hard as I perhaps should have in hindsight.

Paul
    Oh ... And no it didn't have a hard knock. As I said I've worn it a lot but it definitely hasn't had any abuse.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by garmee View Post
    Brand new in June 2014. I tried saying I was quite disappointed and showed them my guarantee card but she didn't even look at it and said "we don't need to see that as the warranty only covers two years". She basically wasn't interested. Not really the experience I was expecting/hoping for. As I said in my original post - it has tainted it a bit for me.
    Richemont are a bit notorious for their lack of customer service which is a real shame.
    I'd echo the advice here and have it returned and go independent.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Richemont are a bit notorious for their lack of customer service which is a real shame.
    I'd echo the advice here and have it returned and go independent.
    Working on it! Have called them this morning and I have another call with them in about 40 minutes.

Thanks for the guidance everyone!

Good luck. I had a JLC which wouldn't auto wind properly after just over 2 years. After much back and forth with the JLC Concierge (who I found easier to deal with than the AD had) plus posting on another Forum about the problem, JLC agreed to fully service the watch and repair it without charge. So it is possible to get good service from JLC but it does take some discussion and convincing. Of course YMMV.

A

Master
    Good! Get it back and send it to Brendan.

My favourite Richemont experience was when they sent me a bill for a watch that wasn't mine. When I told them it wasn't, they insisted it was and that I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Good! Get it back and send it to Brendan.

My favourite Richemont experience was when they sent me a bill for a watch that wasn't mine. When I told them it wasn't, they insisted it was and that I was wrong.
    Great story. Says it all, really.

Master
    I sent a watch back to richemont under warranty as it had leaked salt water. It came back running perfectly, but my requests for information about why it had leaked and what they had done were ignored.
    Not impressive.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Managed to get them on the phone this morning before it got sent away. After a chat with the person who seems to be in charge of customer service in the boutique, they have agreed to have the on-site horologist take a look and assess what needs to be done and whether it will be chargeable before it is sent away. Since this is what I expected in the first place and since he seemed to agree he wouldn't expect a 3 year old watch to just stop - I agreed to allow them to take a look. I fully expect them to come back saying it has taken a knock (which is hasn't) and that the service will be chargeable. If/when this happens I'll be requesting it back ( and sending it to Brendan! :-) ). If I'm wrong and they say it's not chargeable, obviously I'll let them do it.

No matter what happens, I'll have learned a few things from this experience.

Master
    https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...=187&t=1386411

A certain someone gave Concierge a bit of push about resolving the member’s watch the right way.
    And when they do get it wrong, they have the ability to provide an apology and a gesture of goodwill, without any prodding or cajoling – https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...=187&t=1627383

I always wanted an auto JLC. Not after reading this thread tho. I got an old steinhart and posted a pic on the steinhart Facebook page. Gunter himself replied to my post asking me to send him the watch for a free (yes no cost) service as it made him smile. They get some hate but for me that sealed them as one if my favourite brands. Don't think anything could shake that for me now

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...=187&t=1386411

A certain someone gave Concierge a bit of push about resolving the member’s watch the right way.
    And when they do get it wrong, they have the ability to provide an apology and a gesture of goodwill, without any prodding or cajoling – https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...=187&t=1627383
    Many thanks for the links - just read them in their entirety. Really interesting, given my current situation. The OP in the first thread was clearly in a much worse situation, in terms of the multiple failures within the warranty period (which I am now technically outside of) but I am fully expecting the "received a knock" line tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I always wanted an auto JLC. Not after reading this thread tho. I got an old steinhart and posted a pic on the steinhart Facebook page. Gunter himself replied to my post asking me to send him the watch for a free (yes no cost) service as it made him smile. They get some hate but for me that sealed them as one if my favourite brands. Don't think anything could shake that for me now

Nice touch with the free service.

With regards to JLC I'm going to reserve judgement until I hear back tomorrow and then if I need to send it to Brendan see what he has to say. I'd say if I had been dealing with the guy I was taking to today when I dropped off the watch, instead of the person I was, this could have been an entirely more pleasant conversation. He at least acknowledged my frustration, agreed he wouldn't expect a three year old watch to just stop (though starting to lose time would be a possibility since it's now technically "within the expected service interval") and agreed to get their onsite horologist to have a look before committing me to an expensive service.
    Last edited by garmee; 21st September 2017 at 00:26.

Grand Master
    In view of the fact that they have an on-site repairer I fail to see why they didn't ask him to have a quick look initially! It's possible he couldn't find what's wrong within a few minutes but it's likely that he could. When a watch isn't running it's usually fairly obvious what's wrong.

If it's a broken mainspring there's nothing the owner has done to influence this, it isn't possible. Other faults, such as a broken pivot, could only be caused by shock, they don't snap through wear and tear; if this is the case they will argue that the watch has had a sharp knock at some point.

It's also possible a bit of dirt or a foreign body has been present since the watch was assembled and now it's found it's way into the train wheels, escapement or balance. In such a scenario it isn't the owner's fault! Likewise, a screw could've worked loose and again it's not down to the owner unless he puts the watch in an ultrasonic bath frequently.

Provided they can satisfy themselves that the watch hasn't been opened there's plenty of scope for this watch being repaired on a goodwill basis. They should be open and honest about what's wrong, a 3 year old quality watch shouldn't and they must accept that. Hiding behind a smokescreen of mystique is unacceptable. It's the luxury goods syndrome, they assume buyers have so much cash they won't care about spending several £100s when they shouldn't have to, this attitude is wrong but it's not rare.

Hopefully the OP will get this sorted to his satisfaction, JLC haven't covered themselves in glory so far.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 21st September 2017 at 13:06.

Richemont servicing/ aftercare in UK sucks . Here was me thinking it was getting better . Get Brendan to sort it he's the man to send this watch to and you will deal with a real person not all the democracy of a conglomerate inbetween .

Literally off the phone with them as you submitted this message.

They have now had their on-site repairer (Richard) look at the watch and he has determined that it is a lack of lubricant that's the cause of the problem. I stated that it wasn't my expectation that this should be the case after just 3 years. They said that it isn't unusual for a watch to need a "maintenance service" after 3 years and before a full service is necessary and that this is representative of company policy. I again said that it didn't think it felt right and that I didn't think it should run out of lubrication so soon and to the extent that the watch just stops. Thinking about it I've worn other watches for 6 months straight during the period I've owned this watch, so it wasn't even daily wear for the full 3 years - more like half that.

Long story short, I needed to chose between getting it back and sending it off to get Brendan to look after it or to pay them £205 to do a "maintenance service" in the shop today and having it ready for pickup by Monday. Sounds like the watch will be re-lubricated, new gaskets and a general look over.

While I'm not particularly happy that I'll need to pay £205, I have told them to go ahead as otherwise the saga will just continue for weeks longer. Getting it back in the next week or so, rather than the 12 weeks (at least) and at a cost of 30% of what I was originally quoted is at least something, but still less than ideal. I'm also pleased that I didn't get the "it got a knock" line as that would have *really* annoyed me.

I know I'll probably get a hard time on here for letting them go ahead and I know others will say that I didn't complain enough (or similar); however, I do feel I made my displeasure with the situation known and don't feel I could have done much more without going into full a$$hole mode and I don't like doing that.

In view of the fact that they have an on-site repairer I fail to see why they didn't askim him to have a quick look initially! It's possible he couldn't find what's wrong within a few minutes but it's likely that he could.

If it's a broken mainspring there's nothing the owner has done to influence this, it isn't possible. Other faults, such as a broken pivot, could only be caused by shock......... they don't snap through wear and tear!

It's also possible a bit of dirt or a foreign body has been present since the watch was assembled and now it's found it's way into the train wheels, escapement or balance. In such a scenario it isn't the owner's fault!

Provided they can satisfy themselves that the watch hasn't been opened there's plenty of scope for this watch being repaired on a goodwill basis. They should be open and honest about what's wrong, a 3 year old quality watch shouldn't and they must accept that. Hiding behind a smokescreen of mystique is unacceptable. It's the luxury goods syndrome, they assume buyers have so much cash they won't care about spending several £100s when they shouldn't have to, this attitude is wrong but it's not rare.

Hopefully the OP will get this sorted to his satisfaction, JLC haven't covered themselves in glory so far.

Paul
    Last edited by garmee; 21st September 2017 at 13:37.

Glad it is hopefully all sorted now .

See if they did this in the first place they wouldn't get the flack.

Wis are a tiny part of their demographic of buyers so the non initiated would just accept it rather than kick up a fuss especially in w1 London

Master
    ^
    I’d say you made the best decision, given the timeframes involved and arranging postage, etc. Not sure how much cheaper Brendan would've been with everything factored in, but just ensure that their service to remedy the problem has at least a 12 month warranty.
    If I may say so, it’s just as well I opened my mouth initially, as it gave you the ‘courage’ to challenge their original assessment/quote.
    I do wonder if it had made it back to Switzerland, whether you’d have been given a similar diagnosis or received some cock and bull about how the amount originally quoted was justified.

Indeed - that was my thinking as well.

It is just as well, I appreciate the advice you and others have given. After chatting to them on their concierge line, I had an expectation that there was a process which would be followed - watch accepted, review by on-site watch maker, assessment, quote, decision, repair/service, etc. But in the moment I wasn't with it enough to notice the change from my expectation and as you say perhaps the confidence to challenge them on it. It didn't help that I was on my way to catch a train, under time pressure and after a manic day. The main reason I posted was that in hindsight (sitting on the train and mulling in it) I decided I wanted to get a feel for if people felt it passed the sniff test - as I didn't.

^
    I’d say you made the best decision, given the timeframes involved and arranging postage, etc. Not sure how much cheaper Brendan would've been with everything factored in, but just ensure that their service to remedy the problem has at least a 12 month warranty.
    If I may say so, it’s just as well I opened my mouth initially, as it gave you the ‘courage’ to challenge their original assessment/quote.
    I do wonder if it had made it back to Switzerland, whether you’d have been given a similar diagnosis or received some cock and bull about how the amount originally quoted was justified.

Master
    V interesting thread. Some great advice on here from the usual suspects and I reckon the end result will be the best case scenario for you.

Has the watch been stored anywhere particularly hot? It's rather surprising that this should happen after such a short time in a rather cool environment (i.e. the UK!)

I wish I could say it had been somewhere exotic, but unfortunately not! I was London based when I bought it and moved up north almost 2 years ago now.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    V interesting thread. Some great advice on here from the usual suspects and I reckon the end result will be the best case scenario for you.

Has the watch been stored anywhere particularly hot? It's rather surprising that this should happen after such a short time in a rather cool environment (i.e. the UK!)

Any way of knowing how old it was when you bought it?

Master
    Judging from my experience with JLC, best to get it back and sell it. No lubrication after three years, ridiculous. That's why so many people do the rounds and end up back with Rolex. Shame.

Master
    All sounds very startling. Would lack of lubrication really cause it to stop, as opposed to run slow? How dry would it have been?!

Master
    I have an old Rolex Air-King (dates from 1969) that has never been serviced, so far as I'm aware. People will tell me that it should be serviced, and they're probably right, but the reality is that it still keeps excellent time (within a minute a week) and it shrugs off daily life.

The idea that a watch would run out of lubricant after three years is utterly ludicrous and just to hear it from the dealer is enough to put me off, though the (many) tales I've heard of poor/extortionately expensive JLC service had already determined that this is a brand I will never own.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Any way of knowing how old it was when you bought it?
    On the phone yesterday they seemed to suggest that the last time they saw it was in June 2014 (i.e. it left their factory/service centre) and I bought it new on the 13th of June 2014 (i.e. the date on my warranty card, I think I actually got my hands on it a few days later) so I can only assume it was straight from the factory.

I'm sure the OP has made the correct choice here.

Having said that, needing lubricating at 3 years is a nonsense, particularly if you look at Rolex with 5 year warranty and 10 year service intervals. It would make me think twice about choosing a JLC over something else.

Dave

Master
    I have to agree with the sentiment often expressed above. I love the look of the reverso models and am sure I would have tried one at some point. However that is no longer the case.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Have it back!!

Good evening folks. Just thought I'd give you a quick update. I managed to get some time to call in and collect my watch today - it is indeed back working and was the £205 quoted for the maintenance service. They told me that it's now covered for 12 months, so not too bad a result in the end, though still unfortunate it stopped in the first place!

Many thanks to everyone for the advice and comments.

Quote Originally Posted by alanski View Post
    Richemont servicing/ aftercare in UK sucks . Here was me thinking it was getting better . Get Brendan to sort it he's the man to send this watch to and you will deal with a real person not all the democracy of a conglomerate inbetween .

Good result in the end. It's a very lovely watch too :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I'm sure the OP has made the correct choice here.

Having said that, needing lubricating at 3 years is a nonsense, particularly if you look at Rolex with 5 year warranty and 10 year service intervals.

Dave

A common mistake, and a very persistent one. Rolex do not recommend ten year service intervals.They never have. That error comes from ADs misreading a service letter which actually said that a survey had shown that the typical Rolex owner had a service every ten years. Rolex did not endorse this, simply reported it. Annoyingly, they have never given a specific recommendation. ADs now repeat this 'ten year' nonsense. Whether they do it to boost sales or out of ignorance I don't know.
    If you doubt this, try to find any statement from Rolex themselves giving a ten year interval. It doesn't exist. You will not find any mention of a specific number of years.

Craftsman
    Lovely watch, Bet it's good to finally have it back.

Thanks folks. It is a lovely watch. I was annoyed about the whole situation and I was honestly going in today with the intention of picking it up and immediately seeing what watchfinder would give me for it. Since I put it back on, I'm not so sure now! Might be keeping it after all! Might even treat it to a new strap!

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    Good result in the end. It's a very lovely watch too :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by HEKTOR View Post
    Lovely watch, Bet it's good to finally have it back.

Grand Master
    Glad the OP's got his watch back, but the whole 'maintenance service' story sounds like horseshit to me. If the watch really was suffering from lack of lubrication it needed fully stripping and cleaning (which they may have done), but there's no such thing as a maintenance service in my opinion. It's nothing like cars, it really isn`t. You can`t simply add 'a bit more oil', it doesn`t work that way.

I`m sure the they've done the right thing and the watch will be fine, but there's an element of smoke and mirrors here. Possibly they've corrected a fault and it hasn`t been necessary to fully strip the watch (unlikely IMO), but the whole concept of a 'maintenance service' being carried out as an interim measure sounds totally wrong.

Paul

Master
    Glad the OP's got his watch back, but the whole 'maintenance service' story sounds like horseshit to me. If the watch really was suffering from lack of lubrication it needed fully stripping and cleaning (which they may have done), but there's no such thing as a maintenance service in my opinion. It's nothing like cars, it really isn`t. You can`t simply add 'a bit more oil', it doesn`t work that way.

I`m sure the they've done the right thing and the watch will be fine, but there's an element of smoke and mirrors here. Possibly they've corrected a fault and it hasn`t been necessary to fully strip the watch (unlikely IMO), but the whole concept of a 'maintenance service' being carried out as an interim measure sounds totally wrong.

Paul
    Probably something in this, the price charged of just over £200 is quite surprising, looks like JLC were trying to hide their fault with a "lower" fee (lower for JLC that is)

I don't disagree. Smoke and mirrors or not though - 6 days and £205 Vs 12 weeks and £720. From other threads and forums, it sounds like their watchmaker (Richard) knows his stuff, so it's likely he just looked after it.

Paul

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

Paul
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was as simple as a loose screw.
    We got a few of those at ***** in CH and the customer still paid for a full service !

Brendan