closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Incredible girl in the Cycling World Championships in Norway

Master

Incredible girl in the Cycling World Championships in Norway

Lauren Dolan, a junior woman in the individual time trial crashes and suffers pretty nasty injuries later requiring surgery to deep lacerations. Gets up after her crash, changes bike and finishes just 2 minutes 24 seconds down on the eventual winner. The next day celebrates her 18th birthday in hospital. She's a pretty inspiring athlete that a lot of male professionals from across the sporting world could learn a lot from. More on the story http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/la...=cyclingweekly

Blog Entries
    Good grief, talk about commitment!

Well done to her and I hope she recovers quickly.

Master
    She must have been so focused to wipe out the pain from her legs. Time trial is so single minded, I admire her mental focus

Steve

Master
    I must be getting old but I think that's pretty silly her team didn't stop her, that's a bad loooking injury. She could have messed herself up for the future.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I must be getting old but I think that's pretty silly her team didn't stop her, that's a bad loooking injury. She could have messed herself up for the future.

^^^ this ^^^

First moment I wanted to write something about stamina and perseverance. Then I realised how bad the injuries are. I agree with Jameswrx

Blog Entries
    Pretty stupid IMHO, she must have let the adrenaline take over ( I don't blame her btw).

Her team should have stopped her.....the girl's only 18, with her whole career ahead of her - which this injury may have putat risk.

sent from TZ-UK mobile app

Admirable commitment, but definitely the exuberance of youth winning out over common sense, that's a nasty gash.

Totally agree with the above.. I know cycling is all about suffering and there are countless examples of riders carrying on when they really shouldn't but this is a Worlds TT, having gone down she was never, ever going to win. She wasn't fighting for a new contract.. absolutely no need for her to continue.

Someone needs to have a quiet word with the British DS in the car behind her...

On a more positive note, Tom Pidcock wins the junior men's TT and has a really good chance in the Road Race too. A real talent for the future.

Ohh FFS - sense people in the car should have stopped her.

I'm a huge cycling fan (been/am a rider myself) and love the suffering and bad ass attitude that can be dispayed while riding a bike. But riding with that cut in the thigh is only alloved if you are sitting in the final of a classic.

but she gets a huge "M" sign from me, she display the true meaning of rule #5.

VLVV

/L

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Have you tried to stop a woman who is intent on doing something? :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I can empathise with this. Looks like she changed on to a road bike. I think a lot of the men will be doing that for the finish in today's men's TT

Master
    Not only her DS should have stopped her, but also the race officials. My comments were aimed at the strength and resilience of this girl.

The bike change was not for the climb, it was because the TT bike was damaged.

Craftsman
    Exceptionally stupid girl in my opinion, the scars for life are likely to have been made worse by the cuts being made deeper and longer by continuing.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Exceptionally stupid girl in my opinion, the scars for life are likely to have been made worse by the cuts being made deeper and longer by continuing.

I think that's a bit harsh... the adrenaline pumping, not thinking straight... Any time you've come off in a race, the first instinct is to try and limit your losses and get back on. I know I've done it (albeit at much lower level with a far more innocuous 'injuries') and it's only a mile or two down the road that you suddenly think 'ouch, that hurts'.

The decision should have been taken out of her hands.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    I think that's a bit harsh... the adrenaline pumping, not thinking straight... Any time you've come off in a race, the first instinct is to try and limit your losses and get back on. I know I've done it (albeit at much lower level with a far more innocuous 'injuries') and it's only a mile or two down the road that you suddenly think 'ouch, that hurts'.

The decision should have been taken out of her hands.
    But she could see the damage. it is not like she couldn't.
    Also she is 18 not 12.

That's up there with Terry Butcher, Zakk Wylde and the Black Knight from Monty Python.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    that's a nasty gash.
    Good job this isn't the Boy's Room.